7.62x25 tokarev hand gun... Which one is best?

25 members have voted

1. 1. which one would you recomend for a reliable shooter?

So I really want to get a handgun in 7.62x25. What are your opinions on which ones are the best quality, value, most reliable? So far the ones I know of are the TT-33, the Yugo M-57, and the CZ 52.

Please help me out here!!!! I really liked the pics that KC posted of the chromed m-57. looks beautiful! thanks!!

There are only 2 guns chambered in that cal. The TT and the CZ (originally). Both Yugo and non Yugo TTs are pretty much the same. The Yugo holds 1 extra round so only its mags work. Otherwise any TT mag will fit any TT (Russian, Polish, Romanian...)

Both the TT and CZ are reliable, durrable and accurate. Buy the one that fits you and your budget.

Some say you can't shoot hot surplus ammo through a TT some say you can't in a CZ. Both parties have tried and both claim its a non issue. Most surplus ammo is not hot so you'll be fine. If your worried about that then don't buy hot ammo.

I have 2 TTs (Yugo and Polish ) love em both

Edited by Arik

I own a few Romanian versions. They are great guns.

To get one in very good to excellent condition, go with the Yugo. The Polish and Romy's are hard to find now (SOG is the only one with Romy's in stock that is not on Gunbroker) and the Russians are really expensive.

With the Tokarev's you are basically getting a Colt 1903 that has been simplified for ease of mass production. It ain't fancy, but it works well and mine are very accurate (can't say that about the Nagant Revolver - it is minute of barn accurate).

The Yugos have a captive guide spring and a longer magazine that accepts an additional round from the other TT mags.

CZ52's are good guns too. If you find a good one for a good price, I would pick it up!

I have the conversion parts to shoot 9mm for my Romanian Tokarev's so despite the lack of cheap surplus, I can reload FMJ that feeds through it all day. Both CZ's and Tokarev's are capable of this conversion.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

I dig my M57s. CZ-52 magazines will work in them if you cut the notch for the mag release to lock it in. Takes a couple minutes with a dremel or file. You can also modify the CZ-52 magazine follower to accomodate the extra 9th round, but I haven't bothered with that. My M57s feel much more comfortable in my hand than my buddies CZ-52. He's actually thinking about selling it and picking up an M57 after fondling mine. You can still find M57s for $199.00 or an additional $10.00 for hand select. My first M57 was from J&G. Very accurate, minimal recoil (less than my Glock 19), comfortable to hold, aim and fire. I will probably pick up another one eventually. Just waiting for more surplus ammo to pop up. :unsure:

Can't go wrong spending $200.00 on an M57 (or $279.00 for a hard chromed M57). :smoke:

KeepShooting.com makes their own CZ-52 magazines. I picked one up and cut the notch in it for the M57 and it functions perfect. Will be picking up 10 more soon.

The M57 does come with a mag safety which was the only thing I disliked about it. From the factory you can't fire it with no mag inserted, but it takes 2 seconds to get rid of that feature by removing the grip panel and bending a small leaf spring outward that is normally depressed by inserting the magazine. Not a deal breaker of any kind, just letting you know. I'll also add that I've put right under 1,000 rounds through my first M57 without a single malfunction of any kind from the pistol or the ammo. Can't ask for much more than that. :smoke:

The M57 does come with a mag safety which was the only thing I disliked about it. From the factory you can't fire it with no mag inserted, but it takes 2 seconds to get rid of that feature by removing the grip panel and bending a small leaf spring outward that is normally depressed by inserting the magazine. Not a deal breaker of any kind, just letting you know. I'll also add that I've put right under 1,000 rounds through my first M57 without a single malfunction of any kind from the pistol or the ammo. Can't ask for much more than that. :smoke:

This ^

Have 3 m57's. All are great shooters.

I have a GI bring back Russian TT33 , CZ 52 and a Yugo M57 . All are reliable pistols and great shooters . Picked up 5 tins of surplus ammo at a gun show so I'm set for feeding these three for a while . For the money you can't beat the Yugo M57 and feels better in the hand than the CZ . My 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

CZ's can make for a fantastic project gun-if you shop around they can still be had fairly cheap. CZ factory mags have been showing up the last few months for $20. Gunfxr shared a few details that allowed me to convert mine to a western push button mag drop. Hard to beat a gun made from a chunk of steel with a roller lock design. The only down side at this point is realitively small sights.

post-1866-0-70111300-1360062177_thumb.jpg

CZ's can make for a fantastic project gun-if you shop around they can still be had fairly cheap. CZ factory mags have been showing up the last few months for $20. Gunfxr shared a few details that allowed me to convert mine to a western push button mag drop. Hard to beat a gun made from a chunk of steel with a roller lock design. The only down side at this point is realitively small sights.

Take some pics of that mag mod, didn't know that was possible!

It uses a single stack S&W mag catch, minor milling to the frame for the catch to fit in, and transfer the slot location to the magazine with the mag inserted. Allows you to get rid of that stupid catch at the bottom of the mag and mags drop free. (second pic is before bottom catch was cut off).

post-1866-0-74589900-1360148825_thumb.jpg

Edited by 6500rpm