camo'd my S-12

I got a wiled hair & camo'd my saiga tonight. Turned out ok. Wasn't about to pay $50 for a digi template so I found a generic one online. Just used some "camo" paint from home depot. The lighting gives it a yellow tint, but the base is a desert tan that is darker than in the pic.

post-2100-0-36212000-1305692967_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Did one of my AR's too.

Looks great!

I've been thinking about doing my Saiga and thought of an interesting concept. I'm not sure if this is a new idea but I was thinking of urban camo. I know standard black is bad because in a combat situation the brain is tuned to recognize the silhouette of a rifle. I understand that normal camo tries to blend in with the background where operations will take place. Usually designers use the environment, the season, the greying effect of distance and now take advantage of pixelation to blend edges into the backround of digital screens.

So here's my concept...

How about a rusted, pitted out, flaked, bubbled, stalactited aged patina that make the rifle look like it wouldn't even be useful as scrap metal. Most camo jobs on a rifles looks kinda cool but not really as cool as a pristine brand new dark gray metal gun. In operations requiring stealth, traditional camo or a gille rifle wrap is best but traditional camo is necessary for only a few hours out of the useful life of a rifle. My idea applies to the remaining life of the rifle, armageddon scenarios and zombie wars. I think the rusted out look is repulsive enough that others would not want to steal it or kill you for it. Most people would ignore it if it was sitting in an open safe, leaning in the corner of your cabin, racked up in your truck or even laying on the ground by your corpse. Its a deception. The rifle would be in perfect working order and the rust camo is simply a textured finish that also preserves the gun.

I would love to see this done and I'll bet it would get more attention at the range then a bad ass gun did out of the box. This is the effect of context though. If it was the end of the world or someone just saw it lying around in your garage, they would still dismiss it as junk. Deception complete. I think instead of Urban camo, I'll call it... Cognitive Camo (CC) or better yet... Junk Yard Camo (JYC).

Anyway, I think it is a good idea and it can always be sand blasted down again. Here is a rust picture to use for inspiration...post-33518-0-87813200-1305706714_thumb.jpg

Did one of my AR's too.

Looks great!

I've been thinking about doing my Saiga and thought of an interesting concept. I'm not sure if this is a new idea but I was thinking of urban camo. I know standard black is bad because in a combat situation the brain is tuned to recognize the silhouette of a rifle. I understand that normal camo tries to blend in with the background where operations will take place. Usually designers use the environment, the season, the greying effect of distance and now take advantage of pixelation to blend edges into the backround of digital screens.

So here's my concept...

How about a rusted, pitted out, flaked, bubbled, stalactited aged patina that make the rifle look like it wouldn't even be useful as scrap metal. Most camo jobs on a rifles looks kinda cool but not really as cool as a pristine brand new dark gray metal gun. In operations requiring stealth, traditional camo or a gille rifle wrap is best but traditional camo is necessary for only a few hours out of the useful life of a rifle. My idea applies to the remaining life of the rifle, armageddon scenarios and zombie wars. I think the rusted out look is repulsive enough that others would not want to steal it or kill you for it. Most people would ignore it if it was sitting in an open safe, leaning in the corner of your cabin, racked up in your truck or even laying on the ground by your corpse. Its a deception. The rifle would be in perfect working order and the rust camo is simply a textured finish that also preserves the gun.

I would love to see this done and I'll bet it would get more attention at the range then a bad ass gun did out of the box. This is the effect of context though. If it was the end of the world or someone just saw it lying around in your garage, they would still dismiss it as junk. Deception complete. I think instead of Urban camo, I'll call it... Cognitive Camo (CC) or better yet... Junk Yard Camo (JYC).

Anyway, I think it is a good idea and it can always be sand blasted down again. Here is a rust picture to use for inspiration...post-33518-0-87813200-1305706714_thumb.jpg

I like the concept.... it seems like in most scenarios people WOULD dismiss it as a not working gun and leave it or even toss it aside. Nice job to the OP too!

• Like 1

Camo has never really been my thing but you did a fine job with it...

As far as the rust camo went, your gonna have to texture it a bit to get the desired effect, might start with some of that stone look rustolium, get a solid base coat with that, go back in and do touch ups in spots with a bit of roll on bedliner ( actually always wanted to do an old jeep in bedliner black... talk about a hunting truck ) once you have suitable texture, spray with several colors of ..... rusted metal looking paint.. then give the whole thing a wash with a good cedar woodstain to really bring the texture out...

IMHO.. to pull it off, your gonna have to go farher than just paint. Gun needs to LOOK like something thats been lieing around in the shop long enough to rust badly... factory stock would almost be a must as anything PGed out would draw far too much attention....even rusted. do the stock up to look like old weatherworn wood stock, faded walnut with heavy water wear at base and finish worn thin on handguard from years of use.... again, wood stain mixed with a matte clear coat would almost work.

it would be a much more involved project than just a base camo job cause your not trying to hide the gun at distance, your trying to make it look worthless and useless up close... gonna require alot more detail

sounds like an interesting project... I'll have to dig around and see if I can come up with a gun with a suitable silhouette to take the aged look and be passable when finished that can be had reasonably enough to try it on and have the desired effect ( useable in a defensive role ) once finished

hummm....

Edited by datrowl

that looks pretty sick, i want to make some of my guns look like that Urban MirageFlange that u see on the Duracoar website for camo patterns, but i dont have that kind of patience, and also i am part retard so that makes it difficult as well, but looks good bro-sive, if you try anything else in the future let us see more..!!

Somthing id like to see done is to use a spray on bedliner as a finish. It would be insanely durable. Only problem is its only available in black. maybe it could be sand blasted or bead blasted to take out the reflection.

Edited by yooper14.5

GTFo, You could just buy some regular acrylic craft paint and add it to the bedliner mix. Thats what I used when doing concrete countertops and it worked really well. I've also used it to color epoxy. Most "colorants" are just water based acrylic paint.. walmart sells a 4oz bottle for $1.50.

Fap, It only took me a couple minutes of actual painting. Waiting for one coat to dry took longer than it did to apply it. Although cutting the template out took awhile too, if anything that tried my patience the most.

Dat, I've never been a camo fan either. Never had a camo'd rifle before either. I was looking for some webgear and there was a bunch of different camo patterns.. so I started doing some research to see which was the best to use in AZ. Ran across a guy who made a real good argument for camo'ng your rifle.. figured why not. In a SHTF scenario it will actually help quite abit. By the way, I like that get the fck out obama emblem.

Edited by icarus

The only issue I can think of with truckbed liner is making the safety work right. And the GTFO symbol is off a T shirt. I just copied it from the websites advertising.

Edited by yooper14.5

I'm actually planning on doing a "distressed" look on my next S-12 project. I realized how to do it while I was stripping down and refinishing my current S-12...

I'm not going to go as far as painting rust, but when I get done with it, it'll look like a really old AK, except for the stocks. I guess I'll have to let the Texas sun work on them a bit...

• Like 1

I'm actually planning on doing a "distressed" look on my next S-12 project. I realized how to do it while I was stripping down and refinishing my current S-12...

I'm not going to go as far as painting rust, but when I get done with it, it'll look like a really old AK, except for the stocks. I guess I'll have to let the Texas sun work on them a bit...

+1 I think distressed is better than a "rusty" look. It would be easier to keep it looking distressed as well.