Started my conversion, have a question.

Hi all, my conversion parts should be here tomorrow or the next day, so I decided to start the disassembly tonight. All went so smooth that I decided to pull the gas block and clearance it since one of my three ports were partially blocked.

I checked the port size while I was at it and all three are .080

I have searched but could not find what port size is factory spec for a 3 port?

Here are some pictures so far.

IMG_9710.jpg

IMG_9712.jpg

IMG_9715.jpg

IMG_9716.jpg

Hell from the mark on your barrel it looks like the holes were all perfectly in the center of the GB you got lucky. out of my 6 S-12's two came to me with 3 ports and good to go the other four need work. There is a thread about the gas port sizes somewhere I think i saved it if I can find it I will post you a link. Some guys use 4 ports of a smaller size.

SCHULTZE, the gas block marking on the barrel is a little decieving, one port I could not get a paper clip in when it was installed. The barrel side of the gas block hole was slightly chamfered giving the impression that all ports were clear of the hole in the GB.

Thanks for looking for that thread, there is so much information here it's hard to find what your looking for :eek:

Phase one is done!

I felt like a kid at Christmas when the package from CSS arrived today.

I opened up the gas ports 3/32" and clearanced the GB slightly and got the GB back installed. Prepped the receiver and barrel and put a fresh coat of header paint on it, after drying I cured the paint with a heat gun for about 45 min. Then installed the new parts. All went smooth, still have to fit the MD20. I also got a couple of 10 rd Surefire's that fit like a glove.

I'm still figuring out which way to go with the hand guard, sights and muzzle break?

A big thanks for this forum, made my first conversion very enjoyable to do :killer:

IMG_9737.jpg

IMG_9747.jpg

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

IMG_9756.jpg

great job!!!

I have to do the same thing to mine, and since I've put it off for almost 2 years...LOL... it's time to get a move on it...

How did you get your GB off??? Did you use a drill press for the ports? How did you carve out the GB...

I am going to attempt this in the next couple weeks...

Thanks lvjeffro!

I first marked the back edge of the GB to the barrel so that I can return it to it's exact location, then gave the edges of the GB a good shot of WD40 and let it soak. From there I found a piece of heavy anchor strap that fitted between the barrel and gas tube, once I cleared the gas tube I used a heavier piece of steel, (both wrapped in electric tape) small Ball Peen hammer and 2x4 block.

IMG_9744.jpg

I have a drill press and mill, but they just are not required. Use a new drill bit, use cutting oil, mount the bit further out in the chuck so that it flexes and follows the existing port if your angle is off a little. Mark the drill for how deep you want to go. Use a rod in one of the other ports to match the angle. The picture above was taken right after drilling. I cleaned the new ports up with a pipe cleaner and a new bore snake for the barrel, both removed any loose metal at the inside edge.

I tried a few different bits and files on the GB. The best I think is the Dremmel with the small stone type grinder bit, it's slow and predictable, just take your time with this.

Nice job bro :smoke:

Thanks! My job took me to the town of Pahrump this morning. I know a little shooting area in the desert, on the way back I got to test this beast, I am stoked!!! The thing runs like a sewing machine.

Wally World, Fed Bulk on setting 2 - shot 100 rounds not one failure, from hip and shoulder! Put the shells in a nice pile about 5' away. Tried the Fed bulk on 1 and would get a failure to extract sometimes, all times from the hip.

Shot some high brass on 1, again not one failure, piled the shells about 10 feet away. I LOVE THIS SHOTGUN :killer:

The only thing I polished was the hammer and corrected the gas port/GB.

IMG_9776.jpg

IMG_9777.jpg

Nice job bro :smoke:

Thanks! My job took me to the town of Pahrump this morning. I know a little shooting area in the desert, on the way back I got to test this beast, I am stoked!!! The thing runs like a sewing machine.

Wally World, Fed Bulk on setting 2 - shot 100 rounds not one failure, from hip and shoulder! Put the shells in a nice pile about 5' away.

Opening up the gas ports works wonders :smoke: