Storing loaded mags (poll)

Loaded but down 1 or 2 depending on mag capacity, I was taught at a very young age that constant pressure dosen't hurt a spring, the springs life will be the same in a fully compressed state, in a relaxed state, or over extended state... just as long as they stay in that state... what wears a spring is the " flex " ... moveing from a compressed state to a relaxed state over and over, and as such, it actually speeds wear to unload the mags for storage as opposed to just storeing them as is...loaded or not

The only reason I downstack the mags the 1 or 2 rounds is to help prevent round deformation in the plastic cased 12ga shells who tend to oval or flatten on the sides if stored under too much pressure for long.

Please understand I have no scientific data to back my claims... its just what I was taught as a young'un and its served me well for 40+ years.

I was taught at a very young age that constant pressure dosen't hurt a spring, the springs life will be the same in a fully compressed state, in a relaxed state, or over extended state... just as long as they stay in that state... what wears a spring is the " flex " ... moveing from a compressed state to a relaxed state over and over, and as such, it actually speeds wear to unload the mags for storage as opposed to just storeing them as is...loaded or not

I have always been told that also..

I keep the HK mag fully loaded at all times in the pistol by the bed. The only time the HP come out is when I'm out practicing, in which I'm shooting FMJ. I havn't noticed any spring difference between that one, and the other two mags that have more reloads on them. I'd estimate around 1400 rounds through the mags combined, but the one that stays loaded with HP has had significantly less reloads (They are 9 rnd mags so that would be equivalent to about 51+ actual load & reloads per mag).

On a side note I do have 18 rnds in a 25 rnd mag for the S308, but that's just because those rounds were loose the last time I condensed my ammo.

EDIT: The other two HK mags stay unloaded mostly, unless I'm going to an area I feel they could possibly be of use.

Edited by MgcShroomz

I'm a mechanical engineer and I can confirm that it is cycling that wears out a spring, not compression.

It's as true for torsion springs (such as found in a drum) as it is for the compression spring in your box mag.

• Like 2

I store my mags loaded minu 1 or 2, both for my duty weapon (Glock 22) and my S12. I heard years ago the SAS had reliability issues with their Browning Hi Powers. When the downloaded their magazines by one round the problems disappeared. Sooo--I figured why mess with success?

Sometimes it's a pain in the ass but I rotate my mags, half being full & half being empty. Then swap them about every 3-6 months. I do this out of fear of ruining the springs by leaving them full. I have had 1911, 10-22, & Mac-11 mag springs go limp from being full all the time. I guess it depends on the quality of the mag spring.

I leave my MD Arms drum full minus 1 round because it squashes the hell out of that first round when it's left in my S12 & MD Arms says it's ok to leave it full.

My AR, AK, & Tommy gun drums stay empty to prevent disimilar metal corrosion.

In the Marine Corps, I always heard up and down and everywhere I went to only load 28 rounds in your 30 round mags... either that the springs would weaken, or the lips would spread, or even that the brass would compress and 'stick' to one another. Of course, I believed it and told everyone I knew and spread it around. Now I'm a little wiser and realize that its bunk and is nothing more than leftover Vietnam era SOP when the old mags had crappy feed lips... crazy how that stuff sticks around for so long.

Keep'em loaded as long as they're made halfway decent and there's nothing to worry about.

In the Marine Corps, I always heard up and down and everywhere I went to only load 28 rounds in your 30 round mags... either that the springs would weaken, or the lips would spread, or even that the brass would compress and 'stick' to one another. Of course, I believed it and told everyone I knew and spread it around. Now I'm a little wiser and realize that its bunk and is nothing more than leftover Vietnam era SOP when the old mags had crappy feed lips... crazy how that stuff sticks around for so long.

Keep'em loaded as long as they're made halfway decent and there's nothing to worry about.

The only reason I've ever heard to download AR mags is because with 30 it makes it more difficult to fully seat the mag, and in a high stress situation the mag might not get all the way in and then fall out :sadam:

is it ok to keep the bolt locked back til go time??? 24/7 365?

If so, I'm just going to keep the S12 in "locked bolt condition".

Bolt springs are no different than mag springs...

Yes the same physics still apply to recoil springs that applies to mag springs...

I choose not to leave the bolt locked back with the mag loaded.

Lock your bolt back and slam the buttstock on the ground...see what happens.

i don't move my gun around or transport it with the bolt held open with a full mag in. its easy for the bolt to slam shut hence you've got a loaded gun and safety off.

but i do keep my S12 at bedside, bolt held open with a factory 5-rounder filled with triple "O" buck inserted. should i need it in a pinch, i just drop the bolt and its ready to cook.

regarding other mags, like the ones for my XD45, i just keep em fully loaded at all times with 200 gr JHP's. this one stays in the bedside table one in the chamber, ready to rock (no safeties to fumble with). just grip and squeeze the trigger.

• Like 1

Have you guys tried holding the bolt open with the safety lever? Its MUCH easier to load with the safety then by racking the bolt.

All you do is lock the bolt back, insert full magazine, push safety as far up as it will go, then slowly release the bolt. It will go only about a half inch or so, then the safe lever will stop it. To release, simply take it off safe and the bolt will automatically chamber a round and slam home. Once in a while it will stick, but all you have to do is give the gun a nice tap with your hand (anywhere will do, you dont have to hit it any place special) and the above will happen...

Have any of you guys tried using a brass round for the first one in the magazine?

I choose not to leave the bolt locked back with the mag loaded.

Lock your bolt back and slam the buttstock on the ground...see what happens.

Ummm, nothing...

Well, I think I chipped the concrete but the gun didn't do anything...

Edited by Caged

Think of a switchblade, when the blade is closed, the spring is compressed; you can leave the knife closed for years, next time you hit the button the knife will pop open. The spring isn't going to wear out while compressed, unless it is stored some place where it is going to get corroded.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes it's a pain in the ass but I rotate my mags, half being full & half being empty. Then swap them about every 3-6 months. I do this out of fear of ruining the springs by leaving them full. I have had 1911, 10-22, & Mac-11 mag springs go limp from being full all the time. I guess it depends on the quality of the mag spring.

I leave my MD Arms drum full minus 1 round because it squashes the hell out of that first round when it's left in my S12 & MD Arms says it's ok to leave it full.

My AR, AK, & Tommy gun drums stay empty to prevent disimilar metal corrosion.

Ditto, I always keep mine -2 and have not had a problem. I stopped rotating for the reason you stated. Rotation is fine for just one weapon but a real PINA for several.You never know what the quality of the spring steel is the thing is made of so it's best to leave a little slack.

Edited by Palidin

Springs do not wear out from being compressed normally, that is within the design parameters of the magazine. They wear out from over compression and from flexing.

If you do not believe this allow me to use an example that all can understand. Have you ever bent a nail back and forth till it broke off from metal fatigue? Well that is what happens to a spring that flexes, over time.

No have you ever seen a bent nail just fail, because it has been bent "too long?" I did not think so... B)

• 4 months later...

There's spring design, and there are the realities of production. All the little details of composition and processing (forming and heat treatment) affect the properties, and integrity, of the final result.

As a design, the mag spring must be able to be compressed to the environmental maximum without the spring metal being stressed to the limit or outside its elastic range. If stressed into the plastic range, the material deforms (does not relax to its original shape). The occurrence of plastic deformation is typically material or design/shape related. Low strength materials will deform earlier, an incorrectly shaped wire can concentrate stress to the elastic limit.

An interesting fact for (generally low alloy) carbon steels is that the elastic modulus for the soft, fully annealed, material and the hard, high strength fully heat treated, material are the same. What makes a viable spring material is the high yield strength that can be developed in the material, and by so doing extend the elastic range for the given material.

In principle, the number of cycles within the elastic range of the spring material should not change its properties. What may change over time is the the material itself, at a microscopic level, is becoming degraded by fatigue (propagating cracks) that begin at internal or external flaws in the crystalline grain structure of the spring material. As a local cross section is reduced (area of the section is taken up by crack surface), the stress concentration goes up, eventually reaching the point for the material where plastic deformation can occur (bending) or the metal breaks (brittle fracture).