Royal Tiger Hellpup Is Hell Alright

Royal Tiger Hellpup = Dangerous Weapon = Defective Weapon

I purchased 2 Hellpup pistols from Royal Tiger. Both fired but would jam with a few rounds, with bolt open. These would constantlanty jam open. Realized the bolt carrier was trying to exit the rear channel of the receiver. Discovered the bolt carrier was striking the rear trunion and actually was trying to knock the rivets out of the cover plate and fly out the back end. A bolt flying back in your face could have resulted (this could injur or kill the shooter). Looks like the return spring is weak allowing travel too far aft and strike the rear trunion. Examing the spring it looks lighter that a normal ak return springs are installed in these weapons.

NOTE: Images show actual position jammed.

I returned the weapons to I.O. with details about this and wanted to talk to the techs about this problem. No one ever called me and after 8 weeks and I made multiple phone calls requesting status of my refund, finally got my credit card refunded. 8 weeks after they received the weapon for a couple of guns that were self destructing to get a refund????

Very disturbing.

Hellpup is Hell alright!

post-14583-0-11718400-1305831112_thumb.jpgpost-14583-0-51515800-1305831076_thumb.jpgpost-14583-0-99227700-1305829670_thumb.jpg

I had the unpleasant experience of buying once from IO. Never again. Sorry you had to deal with them.

More of the story: I ordered 2 each Hellpups. 3 weeks later I called and asked them status and was told they just shipped me one, I told em 2 was to shipped. They were real nice and said ok we'll get you a second on shipped. Well when the first arrived it was not converted with the aluminum quad rail and phantom flash suppressor. Had to call em on that to get those parts shipped. The second one came and it did not include the promised 2 30round mags. Called em again. Then I test fired them and right out of the box they began to jam and shoot out the rear trunion. Then took 8 weeks after they received the returned bad guns to credit my money, wasted alot of time calling them again. They run full page adds in Shotgun News each issue. Watch Out

Lesson, don't buy I.O products. Glad you stopped before you hurt yourself. The problems you've stated are the first I've heard of like this from them. I have seen very poor rivet work, horrible blueing, just plain bad builds. On top of that it seems their distribution and customer service is on par with their build professionalism.

• 2 weeks later...

ya i used to own one of their guns. on random occasions, bolt carrier and bolt would jam/hang and id have to take the recoil spring out and pull it back real hard to unjam. threw one of those wolff springs in there and the problem was reduced. later on i found out it was too late, my rear trunnion rivets were starting to look like the one in the 3rd pic.

got rid of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a lot of the pistol style AK's are prone to the issues you guys mention. I have over 500 rounds through my STG now and no problems with it at all...

Edited by Jpanzer
  • 3 months later...

I think a lot of the pistol style AK's are prone to the issues you guys mention. I have over 500 rounds through my STG now and no problems with it at all...

ironically, most imported AK pistols are great, especially as an SBR...guess we can't figure out an old design huh? lol

Too bad we can't figure out how to make a 100% reliable AK in the states. I'd love to buy American, but not if the quality isn't there yet. Though it is pretty cool to see a whole industry of US made saiga conversion parts that has sprouted up as a result of the imports.