truckbed liner as a firearms finish

im not sure about heat resistance, but it says its made out of polyurethane and rubber granules. but it can take at least as hot as a truck bed gets in a hot summer day, and our F-250's bed has gotton freaking hot on summer days, but its got rhino lining, not herculiner. but it shouldnt make too much of a differance.

@lordak47, thanks for the confirmation that it works on ak's.

Black Bedliner, Black Truck, Texas Summer Sun, Parking Lot with Zero shade = 1 BEELION degrees :drevil:

You would have to make a well thought out attempt to intentionally TRY to get hotter than that... My biggest concern would actually be heat insulation and the bedliner not letting the gun cool itself at a normal rate. Not sure what prolonged exposure to high heats would do to some of these parts....

Would rather try it on something more... disposeable first... take a nice piece of iron pipe.. coat it... bake it at 400 or 450 for an hour and see what that does for ya

Evil thinking what I am LOL, just a bit faster fingered than I was at getting the thought out :super:

Edited by datrowl

i would definetly test it on some scap first, mabye if i do that, then ill also heat a uncoated piece of steel, heat them in a oven or somthing, and try to test and record how long it takes too cool. mabye i do this to some pipe and torch the inside of it, and have some water on it and see which steams first. 1/4 inch steel would probably work best with the water test, which i think would be the best test for coling inhibition.

Edited by yooper14.5

Black Bedliner, Black Truck, Texas Summer Sun, Parking Lot with Zero shade = 1 BEELION degrees :drevil:

You would have to make a well thought out attempt to intentionally TRY to get hotter than that... My biggest concern would actually be heat insulation and the bedliner not letting the gun cool itself at a normal rate. Not sure what prolonged exposure to high heats would do to some of these parts....

Would rather try it on something more... disposeable first... take a nice piece of iron pipe.. coat it... bake it at 400 or 450 for an hour and see what that does for ya

Evil thinking what I am LOL, just a bit faster fingered than I was at getting the thought out :super:

If you've seen my vids.... I do have some fast fingers, lol.

OP,

I use Rustoleum High Performance Enamel. IF it is applied from about 20" away, it gives a nice textured finish that is close to factory. As long as the metal is scuffed well and all oils are removed, the paint stays on well and holds up to heat. If it comes off after a year or two, take it off with a wire wheel and redo it. Cheap and looks.... well.... I'll let you be the judge of it....

post-22401-0-60569200-1305853835_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-21686800-1305853866_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-82952700-1305853902_thumb.jpg

A buddy of mine did his bumpers and at teh edges where it ends the stuff is peeling. He tool it back to the place that did it (it is name brand, not knock off herculiner) and they said that it is common to peel at edges, which is why it on truck beds it is prettu much tucked around things and doesnt end at edges. I would imagine that could be an issue with thinks like ejection port and suck with peeling as well.

I know Duracoat has a texture option if thats what you are looking for, and it isnt really too expensive.

OP,

I use Rustoleum High Performance Enamel. IF it is applied from about 20" away, it gives a nice textured finish that is close to factory. As long as the metal is scuffed well and all oils are removed, the paint stays on well and holds up to heat. If it comes off after a year or two, take it off with a wire wheel and redo it. Cheap and looks.... well.... I'll let you be the judge of it....

i like the textured look of that. and the cheapness too. but i like the idea of bedliner more because it WONT come off, regardless of what happens to it. no refinishing ever.

A buddy of mine did his bumpers and at teh edges where it ends the stuff is peeling. He tool it back to the place that did it (it is name brand, not knock off herculiner) and they said that it is common to peel at edges, which is why it on truck beds it is prettu much tucked around things and doesnt end at edges. I would imagine that could be an issue with thinks like ejection port and suck with peeling as well.

I know Duracoat has a texture option if thats what you are looking for, and it isnt really too expensive.

that concerns me, maybe i buy a sample and then beat the hell out of the edges after putting it on some metal.

I think they look damn good, do they hold up to the solvents and oils well?

OP,

The thickness of the bedliner, as well as the rubber content, make it a serious NO for the metal parts.

It's your gun, and when the heat and Hoppes and whatnot turn it half to goo, and you have to find a way to get it off, it will still be your gun. So, you don't have to listen to me. But haven't you wondered why nobody else does anything but stocks with bedliner?

If you want cheap,spray-on and functional, use engine paint. If you want indestructible, use Cerakote.

• Like 1

Cerakote. But it's a more involved prep as well. Any finish will work, longevity and looks are determined by how clean and prepared the surface is, and how crazy you get with the application. I personally use high temp engine paint. It's oil safe, temp safe, and I have a large choice of finishes. YMMV.

I've NEVER seen bedliner turn to goo. And I'm not considering this very seriously, I'm just tossing the idea around in my head. And which is stronger, duracoat or ceracoat?

From my buddy who does Duracoat (doing my Saiga right now) Cerakoat is considerably "stronger" than duracoat, but is also a shit ton thicker. Duracoat doesnt add a noticeable difference in dimension to your weapon so you can spray things like threads without fear of being unable to screw something back on where as with Cerakoat you cannot. I do not know this as a word of god fact, but thats what I was told.From your idea of the bedliner the thickness of Cerakoat may be exactly what you want, but either way if you want texture he said it can be added to either, so dont hesitate to ask if you go that route.

I'm liking the sound of the cerakote more now. I'm not concerned with thickness of the coating. I just want somthing that can go to hell and back. And I don't know what gun cleaner would do to the bedliner. I know rhinoliner extreme is rated for some serious chemicals, but I don't know about herculiner. Problem is its the only DIY bedliner. And I doubt a shop with the ability to do rhinoliner extreme would do a shotgun.

I would have to do a lot if experiments with it on scrap metal before I tried this on somthing I actually value. still, its worth the sample to experiment with. I'll try it with scrap eventually, then let everyone know how the test went. And I have no idea how to strip it, that would be a experiment.

Edited by yooper14.5

I just feel firearms should have a finish "designed" to be used on a firearm. MolyResin is my first choice for DYI, but there are several others. If you want specific areas to have more grip, there's always grip tape.

I just feel firearms should have a finish "designed" to be used on a firearm. MolyResin is my first choice for DYI, but there are several others. If you want specific areas to have more grip, there's always grip tape.

Fair enough. I just liked the idea for the durability of it and the fact that it rolls on.

I always have my trucks done with Line-X, and that is totally inappropriate for guns. It goes on really thick and heavy and will probably do a number of evil things to the way a Saiga is designed to operate.

That said, whatever company blamed their crap job on the product is either incompetent or using the wrong product. Line-X does NOT peel at the edges at all. I always get the "above the rails" job, and never, ever have I had a problem with adhesion. Also, the gym equipment built by FreeMotion has all of the traction areas coated with Line-X, and the edges take a lot of abuse in a commercial gym with no peeling whatsoever. If the prep and application is done right, Line-X won't peel.

Just a pitch for a great TRUCK product in case anyone was also reading this thinking about trucks. :)

Fair enough. I just liked the idea for the durability of it and the fact that it rolls on.

As far as durability Cerakoat and Duracoat are considered permanent solutions once properly cured. My buddy said the only issue you have with either is when people do not let them cure properly and do stupid stuff like spray and then shoot a week later and the coating bubbles, peels, warps, etc... and they blame the product. I was given instructions that when I get mine back not to shoot for a month ( I believe 3 weeks is the recommended time but he likes to error on the side of caution) and then it will stand up to a hammer. He took his wifes Sig and repeatedly beat it on the metal workshop counter edge and it didnt even leave a scuff mark, I was impressed. My wants for it initially were purely cosmetic, but after seeing how strong it is I have high hopes for more than that now. He did warn that the do it yourself products from Duracoat (a lot cheaper if you decide to go this route) were not bad, but you must be extremely careful to follow ALL instructions, Clean the gun of ALL oils and such, and apply in a clean environment which can be hard to come by at a residence.