We had a program on TV recently about a notorious criminal and the presenter talked in front of a gun display. I cannot for the life of me see what this is! The forend looks AK as does the gas tube but the magazine looks too wide and the receiver is different?

With the depth of knowledge we have on this forum maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can identify the gun and put my mind at rest.

post-1223-0-96317200-1305886774_thumb.jpg

Umm, so does that mean the notorious criminal was using a .22? Or was this guy just standing in front of this because it is a black gun?

The criminal was a man called Donald Nielson who raided post offices at night in the 1970s.He shot & killed 3 postmasters during the robberies. He was most known for the kidnap of a 17 year old girl who he secured with a wire around her neck on a wet ledge in a drain. She slipped and was hanged before anyone found her. He used sawn off shotguns and a .22 pistol amongst others.

A genuinely nasty piece of work who should have been hanged but at least he was jailed for the rest of his life.

The presenter only stood in front of the guns for a short time and no mention was made other than Nielson used shotguns during his robberies.

Well done and thanks for the ident (you know what is's like when you have an itch you can't scratch and the gun had been bugging me for several days)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Neilson for anyone interested.

Edited by davidsuffolk