Steel Galil Mag Woes

I recently picked up a steel Galil mag to see if it would work in my .223 Saiga. I was hand-cycling rounds through in order to get a sense of how it might work in actual operation. everything was going along fine till I gotdown to the last 4 rounds. With those rounds, I got a FTF - the bolt rode over top them & jammed them into the top of the chamber, badly denting the cases.

Any thoughts of guidance?

Thanks in advance,

Old SF

I've had a few of those too... I think it's a bad spring. At the price I got them for, I just set them aside, marked. They'll be for parts or as a backup. I have not chased springs down yet, I heard they're kind of tough to find...

Win some, lose some. The steel Galil's are generally "hit or miss"...

ETA: That said, I'm really happy with my steel Galil mags.

Edited by bohound

I've had a few of those too... I think it's a bad spring. At the price I got them for, I just set them aside, marked. They'll be for parts or as a backup. I have not chased springs down yet, I heard they're kind of tough to find...

Not one of my promags ever gave me issues...lmao just kidding! :lolol:

Not one of my promags ever gave me issues...lmao just kidding! :lolol:

Big Dog- Didn't anybody ever warn you not to piss off a pregnant red head? :lolol:

I have six steel 35-round mags. Three of them work 100% of the time, one of them works so long as I haven't wobbled it all the way right, and the other two fail half the time. Like bohound says: hit or miss.

Also, for safety's sake, I suggest investing in some dummy rounds.

Edited by DrThunder88

I recently picked up a steel Galil mag to see if it would work in my .223 Saiga. I was hand-cycling rounds through in order to get a sense of how it might work in actual operation. everything was going along fine till I gotdown to the last 4 rounds. With those rounds, I got a FTF - the bolt rode over top them & jammed them into the top of the chamber, badly denting the cases.

Any thoughts of guidance?

Thanks in advance,

Old SF

Did you modify the mags at all. I did this. I have 4, 35 rounders and 2, 50's that feed perfect.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/15274-galil-50-got-it-to-work/

I bought 4. Two of them seem to be perfect, one of them is hit or miss and the last one sucks. I pushed my finger down into the magazine to test the springs and the bad one isn't as strong as the good kind. I got a caliber clipper thing to measure the magazine lip width and clamped them to be the same width of my surefire 30rd magazine. I used a dremel to cut out some of the pieces of my original factory saiga magazine to fit my saiga with bullet guide to act as my control and it fired through no problems at all. It seems the magazines with weak springs are the culprit. My 2 dodgy galil mags will usually mess up on the last round but first round and others they work and no problems. Last rounds with those usually ride under or over the bullet guide and end up at the top, up against the roof of the dust cover. I'm going to tinker with the two dodgy magazines it's 25 dollars there and I don't make much so I want to keep and fix all I got.

• 4 weeks later...

Even the unissued magazines have relatively weak springs, compared to Bulgarian Circle 10s and Tapco Galils. The springs are also capable of rusting, although not quite as fast as the body which has been noted to rapidly (a few weeks) grow fresh rust on parts without finish even indoors with the AC on.

They also sit lower in the gun than Tapco's version, and attain a 35-round capacity by omitting the anti-tilt follower. Mine like to stovepipe on the last few rounds, but only sometimes. Some say it's because of how low they sit in the gun but I tried grinding and building up material on one magazine to match a Tapco Galil and I think the problem got better but did not go away - clearly the magazines are inhabited by the vengeful spirits of dead Palestinians who simply do not want them to work. IMHO they're more trouble than they're worth. They do make for reliable and sturdy paperweights with which to hold down stacks of paper targets at the range while you run hundreds of rounds smoothly through Bulgarian Circle-10s and lightly modified guaranteed-Palestinian-ghost-free Tapco Galils...

• Like 1

clearly the magazines are inhabited by the vengeful spirits of dead Palestinians who simply do not want them to work.

Funniest thing I've seen here in a long time!

• 3 weeks later...

well you could allways use AR springs and floor plates, takes a little doing but not a biggie "6 bucks for 3 packs on followers springs and plates basically anywhere", but steel galil mags need lots of mods to work first time every time and its different every time. because no two mags are alike.i don't think the South African source + the used surplus condition contribute to the drop in and function perfectly thing that people want. oh and they are made for an entirely different gun, that can't help.

Edited by Joebanks