10rd. Saiga-20 magazine for sale, NOW!!!

no,NO. ITS NOT HOME MADE. ITS THE NEW SAIGA-20 10RD. MAG, THE OLD MAG WAS ONLY 8RDS.

CHECK-OUT THE NEW MAGS ON THE KALASHNIKOV SITE. :smoke:

ok, i guess it just seems exspensive :D

can you link me directly to the picture of the magazine on kalashnikov's site? i had no luck searching

edit: why the hell would they make it look so ghetto. did they have a surplus of old mags and just made 10 rounders out of them?

Edited by JesusCow

OK, so I have been outbid. That is the nature of the capitalist system.

I bet whoever outbid me reads this very forum.

I would like a range report. I suspect more mags will be available from the same source.

Congratulations on winning the auction! Good luck to you.

I have found that the Federal 3" #2buck performs best in myn Saiga-20.

Let us know how the 8 and 10 rd mags perform.

i was outbid by $1 at $60 on the 8 rounder.. man that woulda been cool to have

edit: I was contacted saying the winner didn't want to buy it. They don't take PayPal, so now I have an address in Samara (Russia?) and a check for $74. What do you think?

Edited by JesusCow
  • 4 weeks later...

let me tell you what happens when you bid on something and you're outbid only to receive a quick email that the winning bidder decided not to buy: the seller was using a shell-bid account... they're have another account to run you up to your maximum bid, then they'll try and sell it to you at the maximum price you bid... that's how they figure out how much they can get from you...

report this to ebay immediately and email the seller telling them that you know what they're doing... if you look at the bid history on their previous auctions, I bet you'll see the same user ID show up that "outbid" you...

I wouldn't deal with them at all...

Ugh! Stop planting the seed of doubt (thanks for the advice anyways)! I think it's clear I over-paid for it, but as long as I receive it without felony charges.

'm_gun' in Russia received, my check the other day and once it clears I am told the mag will be shipped.

• 1 month later...

um, i guess i'll reply here.. it shipped on april 15th and got here may 2nd

it's 20x76 so i'll be getting some 3" shotshells soon

i'll get a pic soon, im pretty excited and cant wait to unload it!

edit: anyone else use this guy? his english is pretty bad, though, he seems reliable enough.. im considering asking him if he'll now send 2 for the same price

Edited by JesusCow
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm curious if the mag you received is marked LEO only? I assume it is not since it camed from Russia. We need to find a source for these mags since by the law itself they are not illegal, it's just that the ATF and the vendors that sell them to Law Enforcement officers don't want to sell them to civilians.

they are not marked LEO as you thoguht. There are some interesting looking markings on the opposite side (from the 20x76) of the mag. I will get a detailed shot of it tonight. If I remember to.

Still haven't shot it. Maybe this weekend. I hope Wal-Mart or Academy has 3" shells in 250 rdn cases! No more 2-3/4" for me

good luck finding 3" 20 ga in bulk at walmart. Not available in my neck of the woods.

Don't count out the 2 3/4 stuff yet. A friend of mine has some 3" mags that don't work, but a few that do. At least one of those was only semi reliable (range mag when loaded with 2 3/4)

I didn't think I'd have much luck on the bulk 3"

I'll have to see how much more expensive the 3" is, because I'd rather shoot one or the other. Not both.

edit: notice i didnt remember to get a pic last night. expect one tonight

Edited by JesusCow
  • 2 weeks later...

i got a chance to shoot some skeet with my new mag.

i saved a bunch of money by buying a box of 250 2-3/4" shells @$40 instead of paying $13.99 for 25 rounds of 3"!!!

it was able to cycle six rounds and then the 7th one would 'bite'... im sure you know what i mean... anyways, i guess when i go hunting i can buy some 3" 3 shot and kill effectively and expensively

*sigh* now i have 2 3" mags and one 2-3/4" mag.. if only it was reasonable to completely move over to 3" ammo!!!

Edited by JesusCow

It sounds like you need a bigger spring in your magazine. I did get one or two rounds that "bit" as you put it when I was trap shooting myself. I think trap loads are borderline for cycling the saiga's action as it is. Which shells exactly were you running, and what was the gas setting on? I used both 1 and 2 settings on mine last time I was out and didnt notice any other feeding problems with my 12. 1 gave slightly less recoil, but not much. The last two cases I bought were winchester 2 3/4" skeet loads, have to check next time what ones exactly, and a case of wolf skeet loads...If i recall correctly, the winchesters were the ones that fed bad the couple times, and usually happened right away. Could have been me, I guess, but the wolf trap loads were gobbled up with a vengance by my gun. I have been stockpiling different types of slugs in different length shells to test my saiga12 out with. should have a post with the results this week hopefully. dont shoot slugs out of a choke, my ASS. says right on the damn BOX that you can. I dont have a choke on the saiga, but my other 12's do. Im wondering how the sabots I bought will perform out of the saiga. hopefully the thing doesnt explode in my face :)

It sounds like you need a bigger spring in your magazine. I did get one or two rounds that "bit" as you put it when I was trap shooting myself. I think trap loads are borderline for cycling the saiga's action as it is. Which shells exactly were you running, and what was the gas setting on? I used both 1 and 2 settings on mine last time I was out and didnt notice any other feeding problems with my 12. 1 gave slightly less recoil, but not much. The last two cases I bought were winchester 2 3/4" skeet loads, have to check next time what ones exactly, and a case of wolf skeet loads...If i recall correctly, the winchesters were the ones that fed bad the couple times, and usually happened right away. Could have been me, I guess, but the wolf trap loads were gobbled up with a vengance by my gun. I have been stockpiling different types of slugs in different length shells to test my saiga12 out with. should have a post with the results this week hopefully. dont shoot slugs out of a choke, my ASS. says right on the damn BOX that you can. I dont have a choke on the saiga, but my other 12's do. Im wondering how the sabots I bought will perform out of the saiga. hopefully the thing doesnt explode in my face :)

Thanks for the comments!

I assumed the failure to feed using my 8 rounder (3" / 76mm magazine) was because I was using 2-3/4" shells in it. This type of jam is the exact same I get using my 3" 5 rounder.

I have never adjusted the gas setting.

I am using Remington 7-1/2 shot and have no problems running my 5 round mags with it. I have only shot 3" using slugs, in which case, I used my 3" 5 rounder and it worked fine. By the way, I have had my Saiga threaded internally for the chokes and it seemed fine. I used my skeet choke when shooting slugs.

One thing that kinda worried me was when I shot a piece of cardboard at ~25 yards with a slug, there was for sure more than one hole from it. Then two watermelons were shot with slugs through it and it seemed fine. I mean, there wasn't any evidence that the slug broke apart besides the extra holes in the cardboard. When I say extra holes I mean other big holes. I shot 6 shot at it right before and as far as I remember there were no big holes in the cardboard. What would cause the slug to break apart, if it indeed did?

what specific slugs were they? also, could it have been the paper or plastic wad hitting the target? I would guess a slug could swage enough through a choke to shatter, but I would think it would be very unusual if it did happen. When I shoot through a choked gun, I try to use remington sluggers. They are hollow core slugs and swage nicely through most chokes from my experience.

You are definitely seeing the wad(s) make holes in the target.

It happens ALL the time in shotgun competitions, usually the scoring is determined by examining the hole closely. You can see leading around the true slug hit. The wads can cut surprisingly crisp holes.

Edited to add....

There are some cases where reloading makes A LOT of sense. I think you are definitely there with the 3" 20ga.

Most stuff on the market is pricey, as this combo is usually someone trying to make their 20ga hit like a 12 for hunting. So it's rare, and often you are talking about waterfowlers who need special (read non lead) shot.

Price of a reloader gets paid back pretty quick when you can load 3" for ~ 2.50 to 3 bucks a box (25) instead of 13-15 a box. Not as much sense when you can buy 2 3/4 stuff for < 4 a box, all day long.

Edited by kmoore

Oh thanks a bunch guys! I don't know why I didn't think of the plastic "pusher" piece before! I'm sure that's exectly what it was. The slugs are Beneke (sp?) and are "rifled."

Mmm, reloading sure sounds like a fun and rewarding hobby. Right now I don't have any kind of surplus money to start ANY new hobbies. One exception to that will be a PG on my 20GA. The length-of-pull is a little long for me. :)

Since we're already way off topic here. Can you give me some links to good beginners reloading sets? Maybe just shotgun shells, but if possible one that will reload pistol and rifle ammo too. I am not too educated in the ways of reloading.

Thanks!

My advice if you want to try reloading is to get a Lee Load-All shotgun reloader. Midway carries them. They are like 40-50 bucks new and have unconditional guarantees. Ive used one of those for years now without a single problem or hitch. Cheap way to get started. (and in case you dont remember, my theory with guns is the cheaper the better!) If you want a press that interchanges, you are talking BIG bucks. 400-1500 bucks EASY for something that does rifle and pistol rounds, then you need all sorts of dies and shell plates and all that nice stuff. Plus I dont think the rifle/pistol presses can even reload shotshells. I would try reloading shotshells first and see if you can deal with that. Some guys dont like reloading because it takes quite a while to load of an afternoon of shells, but there are other guys out there that ONLY shoot custom loads and will take an hour to hand load 20 rounds. I load my hulls hot for trap shooting for the most part, and I also load some sabots here and there...When you do start reloading try to use winchester AA hulls or the like. The brass height SUPPOSEDLY means nothing except to signify a heavier load just for commercial purposes, but I tend to go along the lines of high brass was designed for pump guns with heavy loads in them. Ever notice with a really heavy load in a pump gun, the action will move a tiny bit? I think the extra brass is ACTUALLY to keep the shell from bursting when you fire those heavy loads in pumps and the action moves a wee bit. Thats just an opinion though. never noticed any deformity in high brass over low brass cases. In other words, a decent quality low brass trap hull should reload into slugs or buckshot nicely. You can also get heavier rounds out of the 2 3/4" by getting shorter wads.

Oh, yeh, Lee also sells slug moulds that bring your slug costs WAY down if you shoot them a lot.

I did the math one time over the rainbow. A shell that cost me .25 from the store I could reload for about .15, though cheap trap shells now cost me 32 bucks a case of 250, which is about .15 a shell as it is. The nice part is it might not be MUCH cheaper to reload trap rounds, but you can reload to anything you want. Ive made 2 3/4" shells that had more recoil than 3" magnums, for instance.

Edited by Bvamp

JCow,

I reload both shotgun and pistol. Here's my take.

This is all advice off the top of my head to help you decide if you want to go for it. If you do, the first thing I would do is buy a book on reloading (couple of bucks) read it and ignore all the advice that is below :) Seriously, I've never loaded 3" stuff, and I don't know how different it is.

Here goes ....

Only shotshells worth reloading (as far as saving money) are .410, 28ga and 3" 20ga, waterfowl loads in any size (steel, bismuth, etc) and 10ga. These are all expensive loads. There are other reasons to reload (custom loads, it's a hobby by itself, etc)

You can load both metallic(rifle, pistol) and shotshells in a single stage set up, but I wouldn't. You'd be taking gear set up for rifle/pistol and weighing every powder charge. You might go insane.

Shotgun reloading:

Lots of folks will tell you to start with single stage. I've never owned one, but I think this means for a shotgun, you work on only one shell at a time, moving it from one stage to another (stages are something like punch out the primer, resize the brass, put new primer in, load powder, load wad, load shot, then crimping that usually happens in 2 or 3 stages)

As I said I've never done the single stage.

Progressive presses have multiple things all happening at once. If you start VERY SLOW, and WATCH EVERYTHING, then you might skip the single stage, or borrow a friends.

For me single stage presses are more for beginners/learners and later for those making specialty hunting loads (shotshells) or match grade rounds (rifle/pistol marksmanship comps) both of which shoot limited number of shells. Also, both of which replace VERY EXPENSIVE factory loads :)

But most likely you'd want to shoot more (plinking, clay pigeons, etc)

So a progressive press is the way to get volume. When I am in no hurry, I load 4 boxes an hour. When I'm in a hurry I load 6, but I usually don't load if I'm in a hurry as it's unsafe. Do it every once in a while to see what I can manage. Others may do more or less, but this is my setup.

I know a lot of folks probably have good experience with Lee Load-Alls. Hard to beat the price. I have NO ownership experience with them. But in the store, they seemed 100 times more flimsy than a MEC reloader. Not that much savings. Also, I don't know if Load Alls can handle 3 inch shells, and that is key for you. Come to think of it, I'm not sure that my MEC's can either as I've never done it. I'd guess that either could be adjusted to do it, just not sure.

Hulls. You'll need to buy a bunch of the 13-15$ a box 3" stuff, after you shoot it, pick them up. You'll never find it left on the ground at ranges as it is rare. (or see if anyone is selling hulls on the web)

Also, I'd suggest that you not load slugs to start with. They are another beast altogether, and getting the right crimp is an artform. Same advice goes for buckshot. BTW, 20ga is pretty limited to #2 buck in 3" shells, #3 in 2 3/4. I know because I shopped for it for some 3gun stuff a while back. This means that larger pellets don't pack efficiently.

Brass does not matter in modern shells. It's a symbol that the hull started as a hunting rounds. Lots of hunters believe that high brass is needed, so that's what the companies make. But there are makers that use NO BRASS. Look up Activ shells. Kind of wierd.

Personally, I'd do something else. I'd see if there was anyway to make the 2.75 shells work in the 3 in mag, or wait and see if the hi cap mags become available in 2.75 inch after the ban, or just sell the 3 in mag and settle for 5 rounds?