How often do you clean your gas system?

Am I anal for cleaning my gas system every time I go shooting? I normally put about 150 rounds through it, ranging from slugs to bulk pack. I have talked to some people who say they never clean it untill it stops functioning properly. Just wondering what must people do. Sorry if this has been done, I don't remember seeing one.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I clean my gas system everytime. After removing the bolt and bolt carrier I use a tampon and pull that cotton with the string both ways to remove powder carbon etc. May sound fucked up but it works

do a puc check, lock the bold tack shake the gun up and down if you can hear the puc moving freely no need to clean if not then clean it or shoot 300 rounds through it and clean it

The gun doesn't have to be spotless, but it has to be functional every time I pick it up to use it for any reason. Not much point in having it if I don't know if it's going to work or not. Therefore i

I certainly don't clean after every time I shoot except for running a bore snake through the barrel... However I tend to shoot less than a hundred rounds in one sitting most of the time. If I were to shoot around 200 in a day, I'd definitely take the time to at least run a brush and get the majority of the crud outta there. I rarely go spic 'n span in the gas chamber anyway. I just get the worst of it and move on.

• Like 1

Here lately I have been having to clean mine while shooting. I shoot about 300 rounds a session usually remington game loads with some slugs mixed in. About 150 in I have to knock the plug out and make it move again. I then clean it as soon as I get home. My full bore slugs deposit a lot of lead in the gas system and its a real pain in the ass

I clean my gas system everytime. After removing the bolt and bolt carrier I use a tampon and pull that cotton with the string both ways to remove powder carbon etc. May sound fucked up but it works very good.

Haha that is halarious :lolol: i would probly go with a boresnake but whatever works!!

do a puc check, lock the bold tack shake the gun up and down if you can hear the puc moving freely no need to clean if not then clean it or shoot 300 rounds through it and clean it

• Like 2

I clean mine every time simply because I have the time to and don't see any point in leaving a gun dirty.

Will it run dirty? Yea, especially with regular loads. Do I really care that it'll run the lightest bird shot after having a few hundred rounds worth of gunk in it? Nope.

• Like 1

The gun doesn't have to be spotless, but it has to be functional every time I pick it up to use it for any reason. Not much point in having it if I don't know if it's going to work or not. Therefore it gets at least a basic cleaning after every range session.

• Like 2

Looks like im not being anal here. Im definitely suprised that so far the majority of people clean their gas system after every use, right on. I've got a buddy with an XD45 and he has put about 1500 rounds through it only cleaning it once after the first couple hundred. I dont understand that kind of mind set. He wants to see how far he can push it untill he has a malfunction, and at the same time uses it as his primary home defense firearm. Personally I keep my guns clean to ensure that they dont have a malfunction, not push it untill they do.

I keep mine kleen after every shooting session. that is how I was taught by my dad. so maby when I pass on my guns to my kinn they are still as good as new or better. and not all corroded or pitted in the gass tube or other places

The only thing I clean on this gun is the GB. I never touch the barrel or internals.

Same here except I clean the breach face and the GB. Usually about 400-500 rounds. Still runs fine with light loads, but has a pretty good shit biscuit in there.

Kinda like "Caged"

After a session (30-50 rounds) usually in the field on the truck tail-gate, as opposed to a range-table outing, I do the bore-snake a couple of times, then pop the gas-plug and use a dental pick to poke the holes clear. Several times that has shown one or two to be clogged with crap, It doesn't take long and I have had an experience where nothing fed...because even at wide open two of the three holes were apparently full....so I poke 'em after shooting.

Definitely a quick scrub with a soft bore brush after every range trip, more out of piece of mind than actual necessity. The Army instilled the mind set that my weapon will disintegrate into a pile of dust if a carbon atom is left on it overnight. Obviously exaggerating a bit but I don't see the harm in knocking off any corrosive substance before it causes any microscopic damage.

Probably going to get flamed by the "it was made to run dirty" guys, but here goes. What is your primary use for the weapon? Just to shoot and have fun with once in awhile? Protect yourself? Impress your buddies? Consider, it didn't come from the factory plugged with plastic wadding and carbon, mud and stuck gas plugs, so maybe they never intended it to be left that way. Would you buy a new Vette or Viper or GT500 and just change the filter every 100,000 miles and add another quart of oil? How impressed are your friends going to be when you pull it out and it won't cycle until you clean it? How impressed is the burglar/intruder going to be when you pull it out and it won't cycle? No machine is ever designed to be 100% functional while dirty - it just isn't possible. Sometime, somewhere when you least expect or want it, the shit will fail. Why take that chance? Bragging rights? Lazziness? Stupidity? Who knows. Only you can answer that question. I scrub mine down and clean it flawlessly and grease and oil it until it's next outing. I don't know when I might need it or depend on it and am not willing to take the chance that my stupidity played a part in it. Rabid chihauhas might attack and bite my ankles, and my boom stick doesn't work. My bad.

How impressed is the burglar/intruder going to be when you pull it out and it won't cycle? No machine is ever designed to be 100% functional while dirty - it just isn't possible. Sometime, somewhere when you least expect or want it, the shit will fail. Why take that chance? Bragging rights? Lazziness? Stupidity? Who knows. Only you can answer that question. I scrub mine down and clean it flawlessly and grease and oil it until it's next outing. I don't know when I might need it or depend on it and am not willing to take the chance that my stupidity played a part in it. Rabid chihauhas might attack and bite my ankles, and my boom stick doesn't work. My bad.

My HD gun stays clean, mainly because I don't shoot it all that often, and I don't like guns sitting dirty for long periods.

My range toy gets cleaned every 3-400 rounds. I used to clean it after every time shooting but I was shooting frequently so I got to that point that if I knew I was going to be going back to the range in a day or 2 I'd just clean it after that outing. I once let it go for 700 rounds just to see when it would start choking up, and even then it was only choking on low brass birdshot. It still ran through 100 rounds of buck without flaw.

So to your point, why take the chance. I now have more confidence in my S12s than before my experiment because I now know when to expect a failure due to a dirty gas system. I also know that in 700 rounds, most of which was dirty bulk birdshot, the gun was still as reliable as could be running buck.

Probably going to get flamed by the "it was made to run dirty" guys, but here goes. What is your primary use for the weapon? Just to shoot and have fun with once in awhile? Protect yourself? Impress your buddies? Consider, it didn't come from the factory plugged with plastic wadding and carbon, mud and stuck gas plugs, so maybe they never intended it to be left that way. Would you buy a new Vette or Viper or GT500 and just change the filter every 100,000 miles and add another quart of oil? How impressed are your friends going to be when you pull it out and it won't cycle until you clean it? How impressed is the burglar/intruder going to be when you pull it out and it won't cycle? No machine is ever designed to be 100% functional while dirty - it just isn't possible. Sometime, somewhere when you least expect or want it, the shit will fail. Why take that chance? Bragging rights? Lazziness? Stupidity? Who knows. Only you can answer that question. I scrub mine down and clean it flawlessly and grease and oil it until it's next outing. I don't know when I might need it or depend on it and am not willing to take the chance that my stupidity played a part in it. Rabid chihauhas might attack and bite my ankles, and my boom stick doesn't work. My bad.

Well, neither of mine have ever ran flawlessly until the puck got a bit of carbon on it to help it seal up, sooo, after THOUSANDS of rounds of testing, I clean the gas block, inspect the receiver, bcg, fcg, and bolt but I leave the crud on the puck. Since I've been doing that it's never failed to go bang once, even with Win Uni.

Basically, to answer your question, yes, I trust it. I also trust the wife's Sig P238, her double-barrel 12 gauge, my Colt 1911, and my S&W Sigma .40. Yes, all are loaded and at the ready every night along with the S-12 and many of them have white lights or night sights on them. If you trust only one weapon for HD, then you are doing it WRONG! :devil:

You guys talking about oiling your gun... do you oil the gas system too? I havn't done that just because I figured oil+carbon/powder residue= sludge?? I clean it with solvent and a brush, then I dry everything and run patches through untill I dont get much coming off anymore, but I've never put oil in it or on the puck. Should I?

Well, neither of mine have ever ran flawlessly until the puck got a bit of carbon on it to help it seal up, sooo, after THOUSANDS of rounds of testing, I clean the gas block, inspect the receiver, bcg, fcg, and bolt but I leave the crud on the puck. Since I've been doing that it's never failed to go bang once, even with Win Uni.

Basically, to answer your question, yes, I trust it. I also trust the wife's Sig P238, her double-barrel 12 gauge, my Colt 1911, and my S&W Sigma .40. Yes, all are loaded and at the ready every night along with the S-12 and many of them have white lights or night sights on them. If you trust only one weapon for HD, then you are doing it WRONG! :devil:

You are SO right! Nothing like having a backup for your backup, lol! In every room of the house.

• Like 1

By the way, don't know it it's "right or wrong" I use silicone spray, and let it dry before assembling the gas plug and tube, Seems to help cleaning the plug (and ports) easier, and I always use a dab of anti-sieze on the adjustment knob threads.It works for me. YMMV. It is amazing how much crud can build up in the tube, and on the piston. And equally amazing how much easier it is to clean them when I started using the silicone spray and anti-sieze. Does it matter or help if you shoot a couple of high brass loads after a day of shooting low brass Wally world stuff to help clean it out? Just curious.

Every time it's fired, whether 1 shell or 200, I pull the gun apart, bore-brush the barrel, then swap it until it's clean. Pull apart the gas system and do the same. I then clean the BCG and the plug with CLP befor wiping dry. On the lower, I clean the rails with Q-tips and give them a light swap of oil before reassembling. I don't know how much is "necessary", but that's the way I was taught to keep guns.

You are SO right! Nothing like having a backup for your backup, lol! In every room of the house.

Two is one, one is none...

• Like 1

Every time it's fired, whether 1 shell or 200, I pull the gun apart, bore-brush the barrel, then swap it until it's clean. Pull apart the gas system and do the same. I then clean the BCG and the plug with CLP befor wiping dry. On the lower, I clean the rails with Q-tips and give them a light swap of oil before reassembling. I don't know how much is "necessary", but that's the way I was taught to keep guns.

I do exactly the same. I started using mobil 1 to lube the rails after testing it out on my AR. Just a light touch with a Q tip here and there. Btw, it works great in both my AR rifles and allows me to run them dry (no need to lube on the field).