How often do you clean your gas system?

I like to run my weapons hard and find their limitations, if they exist. If you baby it you will never know it's limits. Besides, you may not be around tomorrow to see how clean and pristine it is. Enjoy it and leave your kids some well used weapons.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I clean my gas system everytime. After removing the bolt and bolt carrier I use a tampon and pull that cotton with the string both ways to remove powder carbon etc. May sound fucked up but it works

do a puc check, lock the bold tack shake the gun up and down if you can hear the puc moving freely no need to clean if not then clean it or shoot 300 rounds through it and clean it

The gun doesn't have to be spotless, but it has to be functional every time I pick it up to use it for any reason. Not much point in having it if I don't know if it's going to work or not. Therefore i

Most times I shoot 100-150 rounds and clean

it all up before next range trip....I do that with

all me guns.

Just in case SHTF I know I'm starting with a

clean gun.....no tellen when I would be able

to clean it out in the feild.

I give the gun a cursory cleaning after every outing; shoot some powder-blast down the bore, run a bore-snake thru it, squirt a little CLP on it and wipe it down. I don't touch the gas system.

I give it a thorough cleaning every thousand rounds or so, that's when I clean and scrub out the gas system.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine seems to run best when its a little dirty. So every few 100 rnds I run a20gave bore brush through the gas chamber and check the ports for obstructions, and call it good.

I also scrape residue off the puck surface, scrub it really good with bore solvent, wipe it dry, and gas it with dry lube. If the threads have a lot of build up in them, I'll scrape those as well.

• Like 1

The only thing I clean on this gun is the GB. I never touch the barrel or internals.

Same here!

(On my personal gun) GB when it needs it, nothing else. Spray some Rem-oil on the internals once in a while.

most of the time i do it every 100-200 rounds. ill clean the entire gun with brake cleaner and hopes, then spray it down with rem oil. but i have done some testing to see how dirtty i can get it and still function. long story short i made it to about 500 rounds of bird shot with 0 failures and decided to clean it . i did however unscrew the v plug and dump the crud out every now and then, but no real cleaning during the 500 rounds. this is my fun gun not an hd gun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It's my HD gun, so every time. Will it still cycle slugs and buck when the puck's gobbed up with gunk? Sure. But for now I've got injection molded copper matrix buck in there, and it isn't the heaviest of loads. So yeah, every little bit of insurance.

The only thing I clean on this gun is the GB. I never touch the barrel or internals.

Same here except I clean the breach face and the GB. Usually about 400-500 rounds. Still runs fine with light loads, but has a pretty good shit biscuit in there.

8)

I run mine pretty hard. I find that a well lubed anything works better. I just put some Slip 2000 on the internals before I shoot and it runs. I am at 600 + mark and I still haven't cleaned it. I normally clean it at 500rds if it needs it or not. I also find a little grease on the hammer/bolt carrier contact area helps for long rd counts.

Since we are talking about cleaning,

leaving your guns dirty for up to a month, can it cause corrosion or stains? What do you guys think?

Not a Saiga 12... but if you shoot any corrosive ammo through your Saiga rifle you need to clean it as soon as possible of course. The chrome lined barrel won't rust, but that shit will wreak havoc on a muzzle brake.

I clean my guns thougougly after every hard outing. Gas block, bore, and internals. Gas puck and choke get soaked in gas, Gun scrubber on the bore with a 12ga brush chucked up in a drill, 20ga brush chucked up in a drill in the gas block again with gun scrubber. The op-rod gets hit with a wire wheel, and the internals get a oily rag from the shop shoved around them with a cleaning rod. The bolt usualy winds up in the solvent tank for a shower.

I'll use a little CLP on the gas puck to get off any gas left on it, and wipe it down with a shop rag, white lithium grease on the bolt, carrier, FCG, and rails.

Dosn't take long at all.

To those who don't clean the bore... don't you get plastic fouling buildup?

I do not clean the bore. Nailbomb, are asking if it builds up in the GB or in the bore? I do not get any build-up in the GB if that is what you mean. No noticeable build-up in the bore just looks a little dirty. It causes me no problems what so ever.

The gun doesn't have to be spotless, but it has to be functional every time I pick it up to use it for any reason. Not much point in having it if I don't know if it's going to work or not. Therefore it gets at least a basic cleaning after every range session.

That's pretty much it. It is my primary HD gun. I know mine will work after hundreds of rounds but it only takes 5 minutes to field strip, do the bore and the gas block. I have cut a corner or two occasionally, but why not do it right? It is a lot harder to get the puck out if I let everything become a cake of powder.

I used to shoot out at a place where wind blew fine dust and sand every where. I would always find abrasives all through everything I brought to the range. I don't want to grind everything for no reason. Does it matter? well a pistol I had used without failure for over ~6k rounds started constantly jamming. I figured out it was dust sticking to lube in the magazine and an old magazine spring. That was my HD pistol, and cleaning the mag was the difference between working and not working until I got a new magazine.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...