Recoil butt pads

When I did my conversion a few months back I got a UTG Combat Pad for Dinzag, and man is that thing hard as a rock. Anybody else own one of these and have the same problem? I've heard other brands of Grenade launcher style recoil pad being a lot softer. Is there some trick to soften it up or should I just get a new one?

I bought one from DSC online and it was hard rubber also but it is a much better quality than the soft flimsy one I got from amazon which I think they called it a utg style? Its costly (another 30-35 dollars for limbsaver pad and glue) but if you take the rubber slipon pad you have and cut it at the holes then sand level, (leaving the slipon part closed is better= more surface area to glue to) you can purchase a grind to fit limbsaver pad (Large Size) and super glue/epoxy them together and grind edges to match and it makes an awesome recoil pad! I made mine this way and it works like a dream and and i even cut mine alittle close making the bottom of the slip on part open dounut style =less to glue to but still working after 1250-1500 rounds. I can also move it to any other ak/vz style stock I have.

When I did my conversion a few months back I got a UTG Combat Pad for Dinzag, and man is that thing hard as a rock. Anybody else own one of these and have the same problem? I've heard other brands of Grenade launcher style recoil pad being a lot softer. Is there some trick to soften it up or should I just get a new one?

Edited by Guns Are Great

You pussies need recoil pads? LMMFAO! Learn to pull that stock in tight, don't give it room to kick ya.

J/K :devil:

My first day out left me with a beautiful shoulder shiner. :blush:

I did a similar cooze to find how thick I wanted. I cut out layers of neoprene and stacked them and then taped it on with black tape. It was ugly as heck, but worked well enough that I still haven't taken it off one of my s12s. 5 layers was what I liked for length of pull.

PS if you choose to do a grind-to-fit, I have been told the best technique is to use a course belt sander and leave the pad in the freezer a while before grinding. It makes it firmer and which makes it easier to shape and leaves a nicer texture.

Edited by GunFun

The first person that comes up with a butt/recoil pad with gel - like those bicycle seat deals or the shoe inserts, except with a gel and holding system that can absorb the recoil will be a millionaire. Unless that is what the Limbsavers do, then you will be just stealing their design (I have no clue what they utilize - but it ain't $65 dollars worth of rubber) Fucking tires don't cost much more than that. I don't know, but hard or even soft rubber just don't cut it. There is no excuse in this day and age with all the tennis shoe people making all kinds of rebound, absorbing shit, why we should have to put up with a piece of hard rubber. And it will be made in China, so there is no reason we should have to pay 100 bucks for a piece of Chinese hard rubber - or even a new improved piece of hard rubber. It really should be simple and cheap. Shouldn't have to pay 1/10th the cost of the gun for a decent alternative. Limbsavers $65? that's just stupid. Instead of all these new people wanting to make a killing on rails and mall ninja stuff, why don't they consider the simple, lowly recoil pad. Make millions one buck at a time.

• Like 1

I bought a grenade launcher style recoil pad for my Romanian folder, and it is nice and soft and cushy without being "squeezy". It was $16 bucks. I don't remember where I bought it. it was from an AK place online. It had a cheap velcro strap, but I had to end up zip-tying it on to hold it in place.

The first person that comes up with a butt/recoil pad with gel - like those bicycle seat deals or the shoe inserts, except with a gel and holding system that can absorb the recoil will be a millionaire. Unless that is what the Limbsavers do, then you will be just stealing their design (I have no clue what they utilize - but it ain't $65 dollars worth of rubber) Fucking tires don't cost much more than that. I don't know, but hard or even soft rubber just don't cut it. There is no excuse in this day and age with all the tennis shoe people making all kinds of rebound, absorbing shit, why we should have to put up with a piece of hard rubber. And it will be made in China, so there is no reason we should have to pay 100 bucks for a piece of Chinese hard rubber - or even a new improved piece of hard rubber. It really should be simple and cheap. Shouldn't have to pay 1/10th the cost of the gun for a decent alternative. Limbsavers $65? that's just stupid. Instead of all these new people wanting to make a killing on rails and mall ninja stuff, why don't they consider the simple, lowly recoil pad. Make millions one buck at a time.

They already have it.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/AA&ELeathercraft/Recoil-Pads.asp

I'm 90% sure these are the ones at my local shop, and they are made of awesome... but so am I so I don't use one. :haha:

Edited by Heath_h49008

The pad shown on your avatar, is the one I have. Large surface area and soft, but not too soft. Can't find where I got mine, but this site has it.

http://www.rusmilitary.com/images/gp_recoil_pad.jpg

post-7342-0-37497200-1306192701_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigD45

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

I tell ya the one Izmash puts on the S.308-ver.21 is pretty nice.

Not too soft, not too hard, doesn't try to roll to one side.

_________________________________________----

Can you please give the dimensions of that? Distance between screw holes? I think it's too long for a factory AK polymer stock, but I'd love to know for sure.

I can't believe how hard it is to find one. The SGM is great, but only for izmash factory stock. The UTG is too big. The excess material can only snag on crap. Has anyone successfully cut it down?

I know the limbsaver can be ground to fit, but that's not an option.

Thanks.