Awsome product.

I've been looking for a way to legally add a bullet guide and keep my Saiga in it's stock configuration. Recently, I started reconsidering doing the conversion because even though I like the look of the standard stock on the Saiga, the long trigger pull had started to get to me. Your stock seems like the perfect solution, just add a can of Krylon black krinkle finish paint or truckbed liner and I'm ready to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong with my math, but with one of your buttstocks and forends, I could simply replace the gas piston and the hammer (reduction of 4 parts) and I'd be legal right?

Since you're making them out of wood, how much would you charge for opening up a hole in the back and contouring it to take a regular AK buttstock with cleaning kit hole? I have the springs that go in the hole, but if I'm having a stock custom made, I figure I should get exactly what I want, and I'm a big fan of the internally hidden kit.

Hey, could you make a forend that would allow the cleaning rod to hold on?

:D

Sorry, kind of excited here, but I need to think through this thing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think making a forend with a cleaning rod retainer would take some extra doing. I could try to "make it so" in the words of my favorite captain, or you could try to do so yourself. The ones I've seen involve a retaining component of the front site. If you REALLY wanted I could try to do that on a custom scale, but that sounds like a good project for you to take up yourself. I couldn't see it requiring any insane tooling.

Regarding standard AK buttplates, I'd have to get one from somewhere and install it. That would be a piece of cake for you to do, but shaping the stock to fit the plate would be another matter, which is why I offered to do it at cost. Only problem is unless I have a lot of such items to order (and I couldn't order them without a serious commitment to buy) the shipping would be pretty steep compared to the price of the item. So options include:

1. Installing the buttplate yourself and improvising a reshaping job to match it (or not).

2. Paying whatever I'd have to pay to get the buttplate to add myself.

3. Obtaining a buttplate through the source of your choice and sending it to me to install on your stock (this I'd prefer most of all.)

Based on your request, I'll make it standard to ask $5 upgrade + parts to install a buttplate with a working cleaning kit trap door.

Regarding US parts compliance, there's a tricky situation with the Saigas. The "infamous list from which we may only have 10 foreign includes:

Hammers

Triggers

Sears

Disconnectors

Now the standard semi-auto AK has the sear integrated into the trigger - that's the part that lets go of the hammer when you fire. The Saiga has a linkage to a separate trigger. So while the AK FCG has 3 parts, the Saiga's has 4. This does not apply to the S-308 that simply has the extended trigger. Bottom line si that while the Saiga loses the P-grip, it adds a separate trigger. In order to meet parts compliance, you'd need to replace the disconnector as well, that is if you wanted a no-gunsmithing solution. And you'd still have to replace the piston. And you'd probably pay as much for those two FCG parts separately as for a whole FCG.

There is one more little problem. The components of AK FCGs aren't always interchangeable. A hammer from one group may not work 100% with the disconnector of another. This could be very very bad, either preventing firing or letting the hammer go prematurely.

My recommendation would be to replace the entire FCG and if you want to keep the Saiga in the classic stock, grind the trigger part off the US made FCG until it matches the original one. That would lick the need to put a piston in there. I've changed a Saiga piston... once. As far as all the painful gunsmithing tasks, I'd rather build an AKM than do that again when the old piston is perfectly good. Heck, I'd rather REBARREL an AKM. Yes. I said that.

Sorry if I got carried away with TMI. But you guys can see that I certainly do have ideas. ;)

Edited by BattleRifleG3

AAARRGGHHH.

I knew there'd be a catch.

Let me look around to see what I can do about parts and I'll get back to you. I think I rememeber seeing some company selling the FCG parts separately including a disconnector with the little "hump" on the back like on the Saiga, but I have to search around to find it.

The S12 handgaurd and buttstock look GREAT. Are they both Pine?

Also, I have a question regarding a no-gunsmithing handgaurd for an S308.

Do you reuse the original screw to attach the handgaurd? If so, that would probably mean you are using a threaded steel insert? IF that were the case, would it cost any extra for it to be tapped for a different thread pitch?

Or... (more likely)

Is the handgaurd attached using a wood screw? .... Yeah, that's the only question in that line of thought.

I'll post again when I come up with more questions. Thanks.

Rifle handguards are attached using a wood screw.

Handguards have sections too thin to use pine. Standard wood for those is maple, others by request.

Metal inserts could be done using simple hardware. It would not be the same as the original metal insert, probably functionally better. For extra $ on requiest, I could install that or epoxy in a nut. Or you could do that yourself.

I'd really like to get a front handguard for my 7.62x39 with a vert grip. Is this possible for you to do?

Certainly can do. Let me know as much as you can about what exactly you want. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box either. ;) Details that matter include forward or rearward facing grip, how far forward on the handguard, how long the handguard should be, and such. That and the general shape of the thing. And wood preferences (tell me what you have in mind, I'll tell you what's most feasible.)

Sweet. I am looking for something similar to the look you did for the fellow from Akfiles (pictured above). I like a short stubby vert grip close to the reciever, not out towards the muzzle. I am not picky about wood. Any idea of price?

Hmm, that leads to some options. It would be easiest to do if I cut the whole thing out of one piece of pine with the grip integrated into the curvature of the piece.

Which Saiga you have would affect the dimensions allowed for the grip. Please specify your model.

Hmm, that leads to some options.  It would be easiest to do if I cut the whole thing out of one piece of pine with the grip integrated into the curvature of the piece.

Which Saiga you have would affect the dimensions allowed for the grip.  Please specify your model.

My Saiga is a 7.62x39 comverted with pistol grip. I feel pine isn't solid enough for the grip.

Not a prob, we can go up from there.  Have any color prefs, ie approaching the color of the rest of the furniture?  Note that this would add a US part so you could add a cheap foreign wooden buttstock.  I could also make you one styled to your preferences

I have a nice Romy stock I refinished. It is a lighter colored wood. Something to match that would be great. I can just finish the forearms with the same minwax I used on it. Any idea of price?

BRG3...

I sent you an email a few days back about a potential order, needing a price quote... I havent heard from you, and I wondered if you received it, or if it got stuck in the transmission in some internet hidey hole?

:smoke:

BRG3...

I sent you an email a few days back about a potential order, needing a price quote... I havent heard from you, and I wondered if you received it, or if it got stuck in the transmission in some internet hidey hole?

:smoke:

I just sent you a PM a few days ago as well. Last E-mail I got from you was weeks ago. I've recently had issues with several forum mailers. Try E-mailing me directly at my screenname at hotmail.

I realized that I didn't state clearly that the buttstocks do not come with a buttplate.  I apologize for any misunderstanding.  The butt ends of the stocks are smoothed out to offer at least as much comfort as a solid buttplate.  If you wish a buttplate to be added, I will include and install it AT COST.

Any chance you can make me a furniture set for a Romak 3. I will have enough US parts (iwth a new set) to have a PG and regular stock and would like a new set of handguards, a PG and a stock - semi custom. I have an idea of what they should look like and am willing to cough up the dinero for it too!

lemme know via email chapperjoe@aol.com

Any info on the vert grip?

Here's what we're dealing with - Space for the vertical hand grip is limited by the cock-and rock curved magazine. I inserted it in what appears to be the most limiting angle for foregrip space. I tried also to extrapolate where longer mags, ie 40rd or larger would be to show what other space would be taken up with them.

You tell me where you want your grip, what angle, what direction (forward or rearward or straight), and how long it should be, noting the limitations given. Also, whether you want a full length forend or an integrally retained AKM length one. Finally, whether you want the handguard part to be taken up as much as possible to allow maximum grip length. The numbers I put up there are very rough estimates on how much space you'd gain or lose that way. 4" is if I take in the whole bottom of the handguard to match the height of the integral retainer, 3.5" is basically as long as if I added a foregrip to a standard Saiga forend. If you must have even more length, I can see about recessing it further, but that would start to weaken the structure.

From what I believe you were asking for, a 3" or so grip at the rearmost point allowable would fit the bill. Take a ruler to your hand and your Saiga and see what seems best.

post-6-1123473025_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Alrighty then, I'm going to suggest that oak wood would be the best choice for this project and will estimate $70 for a full length handguard with integral grip. Standard price for full length handguards in maple is $50, I'm adding $10 for the oak upgrade and $10 for the grip upgrade. Shipping is $5 contiguous US regardless of order size.

PM me if this works. I'd generally sort this all out over PM, but here it is on the table for other folks to see as well.

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.