Extreme keyholing on new 5.45

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot a 223 round in it and see what happens...  

Just stay on 'em man...dont allow them to dismiss this issue! I would call Greg at CSS and see what he has to say about it.     Are you TRYING to get him killed!

Unless it's due to a brake you just added that might be nicking the bullet, send this one back for replacement. First time I've heard of a Saiga keyholing... bummer....

Posted Images

Good catch. Glad yours is GTG. Mine shot 90 degree keyholes every round! Just got an email back late last night. They said the replacement shoots fine and he might be shipping it out today!!! Since I'm about 3 hrs away from RAAC that would mean I could be shooting and converting this weekend! Note: Shooting...... and then converting blink.gif

• Like 1

Gent's,

The 5.45x39 will tumble as soon as it hits anything more than paper. It is very unstable by design. It is no surprise you had side ways bullet hits.

My Saiga put 3 shots of Wolf WPA into a coffee can at 200 yards out of 6 the last time out. That's as good as I can shoot.

Frosty

Gent's,

The 5.45x39 will tumble as soon as it hits anything more than paper. It is very unstable by design. It is no surprise you had side ways bullet hits.

My Saiga put 3 shots of Wolf WPA into a coffee can at 200 yards out of 6 the last time out. That's as good as I can shoot.

Frosty

Keyholing paper shows that the bullet was already traveling sideways BEFORE it hit the paper. Even if what your saying is true (I'm doubtful), and just a paper target could destabilize the round, at nearly 3000fps the round would be well past the paper that destabilized it before becoming sideways.

Gent's,

Frosty

Keyholing paper shows that the bullet was already traveling sideways BEFORE it hit the paper. Even if what your saying is true (I'm doubtful), and just a paper target could destabilize the round, at nearly 3000fps the round would be well past the paper that destabilized it before becoming sideways.

Exactly. Mine has the wrong twist rate and was keyholing paper as close as 10ft. It was sideway as soon as it left the muzzle.

Update: Was told the rifle was might ship last Wed. I emailed and asked if they shipped that Thurs. No response yet. I figured they be sick of me emailing them at this point and just ship the damn thing already smile.gif

Gent's,

Frosty

No, I didn't mean paper would cause key holing! I meant anything heavier than paper will cause it in good barrels!

Yes?

Gent's,

Frosty

It was a surprise to me. Especially with no trace of debris holes on the target when it first happened (1st pic, last post, pg7 of this thread). It had to have been thrown off just by passing that log to the right (both targets were in the same spot), that you see the debris spallter from in the video.

OP, WTF! RAA is on some bullshit!!

• Like 1

Exactly. Mine has the wrong twist rate and was keyholing paper as close as 10ft. It was sideway as soon as it left the muzzle.

I'd love to hear what the twist rate the offending barrel was?

"The rifle has a 1:14 to a 1:16 twist rate. Not the normal rate of twist." - RAAC

Update? Did it ever shoot any better?

Sorry I just realized this thread had 8 pages - I'm a noob to this forum. I thought it was time to start looking elsewhere for AK info beside ar15.com.

ETA: Hope this one works out for you - there's nothing worse than bad range days where you're beating your head against the wall wasting ammo and trying to figure out an issue - been there many times!

Edited by saiga545

Sorry I just realized this thread had 8 pages - I'm a noob to this forum. I thought it was time to start looking elsewhere for AK info beside ar15.com.

Asking about AK's on ar15.com is like asking for information on American politics in Russia. You are going to get some of the most biased info you'll ever see there (at least that's how it was when I was there). Welcome to the forum!

Back on topic. So, just to be clear, as I am going to be picking up a Saiga 5.45 next week, if this happens, who should I directly contact first, ODGreenThumb?

Edited by CPF

Asking about AK's on ar15.com is like asking for information on American politics in Russia. You are going to get some of the most biased info you'll ever see there (at least that's how it was when I was there). Welcome to the forum!

Back on topic. So, just to be clear, as I am going to be picking up a Saiga 5.45 next week, if this happens, who should I directly contact first, ODGreenThumb?

I'll bet my first born that you will not see this problem again!

Gentleman...... brace yourselves..... UPS has notified me that the rifle has been delivered... to the front door in broad daylight. I will be home in one hour and am eager to check the contents of this package. I'm so excited I could shit myself.

hope it`s still there when you get home

Gentleman...... brace yourselves..... UPS has notified me that the rifle has been delivered... to the front door in broad daylight. I will be home in one hour and am eager to check the contents of this package. I'm so excited I could shit myself.

Either I am having a really stupid moment or something is missing. Don't you have to have it shipped to an FFL dealer?

Either I am having a really stupid moment or something is missing. Don't you have to have it shipped to an FFL dealer?

Not if you send a gun to the FFL for repairs or gunsmithing. You can ship to and from your home address in this case.

BUT

BUT

BUT

It is fucking bullshit that whoever sent it did not have a signature or adult required. You cannot delivery a firearm to a minor, or leave them sitting outside. I would make a fucking huge stink about this, as I have before with the shipper and the shipping company.

If it had gotten stolen before he got home, which I hope for OD it hasn't, but you never know if OD would want to make a free rifle for claiming it stolen, and sell the one he has received. Or it actually is missing

Well... the rifle is back. The conversion parts are back. An extra 10 round magazine is here. (forgot to ship the old one back)... The only thing not returned was the shitty cleaning rod that I wouldn't use anyway.

Luckily I called my neighbor who retrieved the package for me, so we're all good on that front. But yes, I was a little shocked that they shipped it to my home, and left it at the front door. That is ridiculously stupid.

I went and fired off about 30 rounds last nice and she's making pretty circular holes in the target! Yay! Stayed up late last night and did the pistol grip conversion. Was a little easier this time.

Thanks everyone for all the help I received throughout this whole ordeal. And thanks to RAAC, even though it took a long ass time, they made it right. I can respect that.

Welp, happy shooting...022.gif

• Like 2