Extreme keyholing on new 5.45

Have you tried hand cycling a few rounds and checked the bullets tips for deformations= possible feed ramp or mag problem deforming the tips usually with non jacketed rounds.

Haven't tried that. But I'm using factory mag with no bullet guide. Will check it out tonight. Thanks for the input.

Edit for typo: Dumb phone strikes again

Edited by ODGreenThumb
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot a 223 round in it and see what happens...  

Just stay on 'em man...dont allow them to dismiss this issue! I would call Greg at CSS and see what he has to say about it.     Are you TRYING to get him killed!

Unless it's due to a brake you just added that might be nicking the bullet, send this one back for replacement. First time I've heard of a Saiga keyholing... bummer....

Posted Images

This is crazy! I've never seen keyholes like this. Did the gunsmith check the muzzle end of the barrel? It looks like the chrome is sticking out slightly.

I'd have to say replace this weapon!

:osama:

This is crazy! I've never seen keyholes like this. Did the gunsmith check the muzzle end of the barrel? It looks like the chrome is sticking out slightly.

I'd have to say replace this weapon!

:osama:

So i got my camera and tripod out. I think I found a suspicious spot in the barrel. It's hard to understand the photo if you haven't seen it by looking down the barrel. With the naked eye you can see a line that does not follow the rifling lines... if that makes any sense. Keep in mind this is a nice camera focusing on a very small spot in the rifling. Interpret as you will. It's hard to see with the naked eye, but is there nonetheless. I'm referring to the lower left side of the pic. I apologize for not having photoshop on this computer to circle it.

Edit: And yes a gunsmith looked it over real quick for free as a favor to a friend of mine. He would have been more thorough for some paid bench time.

post-33433-0-47545100-1306984114_thumb.jpg

Edited by ODGreenThumb

gas-hole maybe? how far down the bore is that spot? Also, I doubt that a spot like that could cause key-holing like what you get, but can you feel it when you push a tight patch down the bore?

Gas port would be at the top of the picture (edit: and would not be in focus), the spot would be about an inch closer to muzzle... had to look again to check. And no I can't feel anything while running a patch through. unsure.gif

Edited by ODGreenThumb

ok, well I gotta retract my previous statement about how a spot like that wont cause your key-holing issue, after the zoomed in pic...holy crap.

There was definitely a broken tool in that barrel. Did you get flakes of bullet jacket material come out when you cleaned it?

Here is a good question. Regardless of the fact that the gunsmith just did a quick look over with a bore-scope, how the hell did he miss something like that?!

ok, well I gotta retract my previous statement about how a spot like that wont cause your key-holing issue, after the zoomed in pic...holy crap.

There was definitely a broken tool in that barrel. Did you get flakes of bullet jacket material come out when you cleaned it?

Here is a good question. Regardless of the fact that the gunsmith just did a quick look over with a bore-scope, how the hell did he miss something like that?!

I did get a little material, yes. And yes, it's time to move on to a new gun shop. It took me a while to spot it too though, but I'm no trained professional. He was probably just like "you didn't buy it here so I don't give a....".

Thanks, hoping to hear something Monday. I don't want to keep calling and emailing them, bugging them, but man I'm missing weeks of great shooting weather! So what do you keep in the car at work??? 022.gif

Late with the pics. I wanted to show the bullet test on my 5.45 compared to ODGreenThumb's on the previous page.

And the 5.45 isn't the rifle I keep in my car at work ;)

Glad you found the issue ODGreenThumb.

o20z8.jpg

11lr9e8.jpg

I sure do wish I could get a hold of someone from RAAC to talk about this issue. Numerous emails and messages left. Not knocking them, but I want to get this straightened out.

CADIZ GUN WORKS

is a distributor, retailer and

Exclusive Warranty Provider

for the

Russian American Armory Company (RAAC)

...CALL THEM NOW...DO IT.....I have no clue as to why your calling RAA.

Stop waisting time and do it! DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT,NOW

Heres the contact number you should be calling, CADIZ GUN WORKS, DO IT DO IT DO IT, Call them, them is cadiz gun works, call now, do it!!!!!!

PHONE:740-942-3175 PHONE:740-942-3175 PHONE:740-942-3175 PHONE:740-942-3175 PHONE:740-942-3175 PHONE:740-942-3175 PHONE:740-942-3175 PHONE:740-942-3175

MAILING ADDRESS:

PO Box 126

Cadiz, OH 43907

PHONE:

740-942-3175

OFFICE HOURS: (USA - Eastern Time)

Monday-Friday 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.

GENERAL E-MAIL:

office@CadizGunWorks.com

E-MAIL DIRECTORY

Tom Cole

Owner and Expert Gunsmith

Vicki Jo Cole

Office Manager and Bookkeeping

Sales Department

Warranty Department

Gunsmithing Department

Federal Firearms Licensing

Shipping Department

TomCole@CadizGunWorks.com

VickiJo@CadizGunWorks.com

Sales@CadizGunWorks.com

Warranty@CadizGunWorks.com

Gunsmithing@CadizGunWorks.com

FFL@CadizGunWorks.com

Shipping@CadizGunWorks.com

Edited by veprk

Step by step guide

1. Call cadiz

2. say hello, then say " I have a saiga rifle in 5.45 that is keyholing" I have inspected it and it appears that the bit broke in the barrel.

3. Give them your info and wait for email

4. Fill out form that cadiz emailed you

5. Email the filled out form back to cadiz

6. Cadiz will email a ups shipping slip

7. Place rifle in box and place shipping slip on box.. Accidently forget to place the magazine in box as compensation for the hassle that the stupid bleaping russian caused

8. Take box to ups hub, or give to driver

9. Personally, I would explain to Tom (owner of cadiz) by phone that this is not a repair job, but a inspect and replace. this way you dont have to wait line for him to get to your gun.

10. He will see the bore and say, please send FFL info for me to ship NEW rifle to, he will also need the amount your ffl charges for transfer so he can pay you back for having to pay it twice.

11. Wait for your ffl to call and inform you to come pic up rifle

Done and done

Edited by veprk

Step by step guide

1. Call cadiz

2. say hello, then say " I have a saiga rifle in 5.45 that is keyholing" I have inspected it and it appears that the bit broke in the barrel.

7. Place rifle in box and place shipping slip on box.. Accidently forget to place the magazine in box as compensation for the hassle that the stupid bleaping russian caused

9. Personally, I would explain to Tom (owner of cadiz) by phone that this is not a repair job, but a inspect and replace. this way you dont have to wait line for him to get to your gun.

10. He will see the bore and say, please send FFL info for me to ship NEW rifle to, he will also need the amount your ffl charges for transfer so he can pay you back for having to pay it twice.

Done and done

Thats all well and fine except for the conversion work and parts that are on it. :unsure:

:smoke:

Step by step guide

1. Call cadiz

Done and done

Thats all well and fine except for the conversion work and parts that are on it. :unsure:

:smoke:

Step 6 1/2

remove all conversion parts, replace all pieces possible, the rest in a bag, though I dont think Tom would want them.

PG conversion does not void warranty....

Ask me how I know this....if you want hear about my pos s12 going back to cadiz 3 times. In my situation I had alot more done to my shotty so I didnt go for replacement even though it was offered.

Edited by veprk

Wow, thanks for the step by step guide. I emailed Cadiz first, but never heard back. I heard about the fire so I figured he had his hands full. In the mean time I also contacted RAAC. I will call Cadiz on Monday. I also saw a post by Cadiz that said he only works on guns stamped RAAC. Mine is a MH Legion. Not sure if that changes things.