Extreme keyholing on new 5.45

Step by step guide

1. Call cadiz

2. say hello, then say " I have a saiga rifle in 5.45 that is keyholing" I have inspected it and it appears that the bit broke in the barrel.

3. Give them your info and wait for email

4. Fill out form that cadiz emailed you

5. Email the filled out form back to cadiz

6. Cadiz will email a ups shipping slip

7. Place rifle in box and place shipping slip on box.. Accidently forget to place the magazine in box as compensation for the hassle that the stupid bleaping russian caused

8. Take box to ups hub, or give to driver

9. Personally, I would explain to Tom (owner of cadiz) by phone that this is not a repair job, but a inspect and replace. this way you dont have to wait line for him to get to your gun.

10. He will see the bore and say, please send FFL info for me to ship NEW rifle to, he will also need the amount your ffl charges for transfer so he can pay you back for having to pay it twice.

11. Wait for your ffl to call and inform you to come pic up rifle

Done and done

Thats all well and fine except for the conversion work and parts that are on it. :unsure:

:smoke:

Step 6 1/2

remove all conversion parts, replace all pieces possible, the rest in a bag, though I dont think Tom would want them.

PG conversion does not void warranty....

Ask me how I know this....if you want hear about my pos s12 going back to cadiz 3 times. In my situation I had alot more done to my shotty so I didnt go for replacement even though it was offered.

I hope Tom doesn't wan them, all I have left is the butt stock and FCG.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot a 223 round in it and see what happens...  

Just stay on 'em man...dont allow them to dismiss this issue! I would call Greg at CSS and see what he has to say about it.     Are you TRYING to get him killed!

Unless it's due to a brake you just added that might be nicking the bullet, send this one back for replacement. First time I've heard of a Saiga keyholing... bummer....

Posted Images

Update:

So, before I could call Cadiz today, RAAC called me back. They said that they will ship the gun back to them and have a local gunsmith check it out (not Cadiz). They also said they would repair the problem if possible. If it's not possible they will send me a new one, but, I might be out the parts I installed. I can't afford putting another $100 plus into this gun to buy another conversion kit, so I hope the problem can be fixed or they will send me my parts back. Still hoping for a satisfactory resolution.

I just gave cadiz a call to discuss your issue, no answer since theyre east coast and its late. But dont ship a damn thing back to raac yet...let me talk with Tom first. I'll will pm you as soon as I hear back

Remember, or if you dont know...not all gun guys are good guys! Tom at cadiz is one of the good guys!

Edited by veprk

I am watching and waiting to see what happens here. Has anyone ever had this problem with a X39 Saiga? I converted mine before firing it...looking back on that seems a little rash now. I still haven't been able to get it out to shoot it yet...hopefully tomorrow. Finger's crossed

I am watching and waiting to see what happens here. Has anyone ever had this problem with a X39 Saiga? I converted mine before firing it...looking back on that seems a little rash now. I still haven't been able to get it out to shoot it yet...hopefully tomorrow. Finger's crossed

Just take a peak down the barrel. I am doing my conversion without shooting my 5.45 first. I'm not too worried about it.

I just gave cadiz a call to discuss your issue, no answer since theyre east coast and its late. But dont ship a damn thing back to raac yet...let me talk with Tom first. I'll will pm you as soon as I hear back

Remember, or if you dont know...not all gun guys are good guys! Tom at cadiz is one of the good guys!

Thanks man, much appreciated. I called Cadiz yesterday, but the lady that answered ( I believe it's his wife?) was just heading out the door to take Tom to the doctor. She had me email them with the issues I'm having. Still waiting to hear back. She did however mention that they only service guns with RAAC stamped on the side. Mine is a Mercury Hermes Legion. Not sure if that changes anything. Sure hope not.

Thanks man, much appreciated. I called Cadiz yesterday, but the lady that answered ( I believe it's his wife?) was just heading out the door to take Tom to the doctor. She had me email them with the issues I'm having. Still waiting to hear back. She did however mention that they only service guns with RAAC stamped on the side. Mine is a Mercury Hermes Legion. Not sure if that changes anything. Sure hope not.

Since your gun is a Mercury Hermes that is a different importer than RAAC. In fact, in reading this thread, I am surprised that RAAC would offer to warranty a gun they did not import and I do not know if they would even have any new rifles with which to replace yours if it was in fact a bad barrel.

Have you called Mercury Hermes? Since they imported it they may have someone who does warranty work or they may just ship you a new rifle.

I recommend this as you've stated several times that the RAAC markings are etched out and that it was imported by Mercury Hermes. If you want to get back to shooting condition soon you may be disappointed if Cadiz or RAAC declines to look into the matter further as they are not responsible for rifles imported by a different company.

Since your gun is a Mercury Hermes that is a different importer than RAAC. In fact, in reading this thread, I am surprised that RAAC would offer to warranty a gun they did not import and I do not know if they would even have any new rifles with which to replace yours if it was in fact a bad barrel.

Have you called Mercury Hermes? Since they imported it they may have someone who does warranty work or they may just ship you a new rifle.

I recommend this as you've stated several times that the RAAC markings are etched out and that it was imported by Mercury Hermes. If you want to get back to shooting condition soon you may be disappointed if Cadiz or RAAC declines to look into the matter further as they are not responsible for rifles imported by a different company.

RAAC told me they handle Mercury Hermes. And yes, I called Mercury Hermes who gives you the phone number to RAAC.

Edited by ODGreenThumb
  • Like 1

Well the gun is on it's way to RAAC headquarters, where it will be looked at by their local gunsmith. Everybody keep their fingers crossed for a happy ending..... and not that kind of happy ending, though I suppose it would be a nice perk for going through this ordeal... wacko.gif

When I shot it today, I was getting keyholes on every round into the paper. Only shot from about 50 feet, 25 feet, and 10 feet.

i been thinking..... doesnt the 5.45x39 round need to travel a certain distance before it stabilizes? like 75 or 100 yards? 50 feet is 13 yards/meters. have you tried shooting at 100 metered targets? next time you shoot it, try some longer shots. maybe your to close?

It shouldn't keyhole at any distance.

Can you owners of 5.45 Saigas confirm for me that they do not leave oblong holes under 25 yards? My Century Bulgarian (I know I'm asking for it) leaves perfect holes beyond 25 yards, but below that it leaves pointy ovals (never full keyholes). I've only shot Ukrainian surplus.

When I shot it today, I was getting keyholes on every round into the paper. Only shot from about 50 feet, 25 feet, and 10 feet.

i been thinking..... doesnt the 5.45x39 round need to travel a certain distance before it stabilizes? like 75 or 100 yards? 50 feet is 13 yards/meters. have you tried shooting at 100 metered targets? next time you shoot it, try some longer shots. maybe your to close?

It shouldn't keyhole at any distance.

Can you owners of 5.45 Saigas confirm for me that they do not leave oblong holes under 25 yards? My Century Bulgarian (I know I'm asking for it) leaves perfect holes beyond 25 yards, but below that it leaves pointy ovals (never full keyholes). I've only shot Ukrainian surplus.

As long as the groups are OK then I would not worry about it. Try some different ammo.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, and what do you know? I didn't hear shit from them today. The basically say don't call us, we'll call you. But I've heard stories about wheels that produce squeaking noises that have received grease. But at this point I feel like I'm being fluffed. I don't want to bad mouth, and its been so long at this point its getting hard to give a shit. Plus I just had a beat up Suzuki samurai dropped in my lap that I'm trying to fix up. But damn, that 5.45 would look great on a gun rack in the samurai. Going shooting tomorrow... wish I could afford ammo for the m1 garand

Shot my Mercury Hermes "Legion" iz240 yesterday with Russian surplus ammo from AIM at ~25yds and i had a few rounds that keyholed. About 4rds out of a 30rd mag. :cryss: YAY!

I'm kind of thinking ammo. I'll have to do more testing once i get some commercial 5.45.

Edited by Mullet Man