Extreme keyholing on new 5.45

Interesting mullet man. I remember waiting for that commercial ammo to come in... expecting to punch circles in paper... oh boy it seems so long ago... wait... it was. And I still haven't heard anything back. I really hope for your sake its the ammo. Keep me updated.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shoot a 223 round in it and see what happens...  

Just stay on 'em man...dont allow them to dismiss this issue! I would call Greg at CSS and see what he has to say about it.     Are you TRYING to get him killed!

Unless it's due to a brake you just added that might be nicking the bullet, send this one back for replacement. First time I've heard of a Saiga keyholing... bummer....

Posted Images

Well OD after re-reading through this thread I was filled with complete and utter terror...I got to the post where you listed your serial number and rushed to my safe. Can you imagine what I found??? Yep you guessed it...the 5.45 Saiga I purchased last Friday is in the same serial number series as yours...H09-88**** So I decided to give it a test drive this morning so I loaded up my target stand last night got the rifle cased up and left for work early this morning so I could run out to the desert and put a few rounds down range. I only had 1 box of Wolf non-corrosive ammo so that was all I took did not want to shoot any of the corrosive surplus yet. So anyhow I tried it at 75 ft and less and it punched 20 perfectly round little holes. What a relief...I put 10 of them though a surplus 30 round mag that functioned flawlessly with no bullet guide installed...I just had to try that. I am still looking forward to seeing you get some resolution on your rifle. If they have had it this long I would assume their intention is to fix it but I think a little communication would go a long way here. I'll keep a good thought for you. I'll also keep you posted on my rifles status. I intend to shoot some of my surplus ammo through it this weekend to see what it does before I start the conversion process.

I asked for an update again today. Was told gunsmith is checking rifling, crown, and will be firing this evening. They also wanted to know what weight I was using. 52 gr. and 60 gr. are all I can find online, so that's what I shot. 4 different types. I can't imagine weight being a factor for 90 degree keyholing at such close range. They also apologized that it was taking so long but told me "It would be to your advantage if we can find the problem and get it resolved." Yeah, it sure would. I don't even want to speculate what the alternative would be.... 010.gif

IN for the updates. I wanna hear how this goes.

Have you looked down the barrel from both ends to check the rifling, especially to check for burrs on the crown of the muzzle? A tiny burr could be throwing the already unstable bullet off balance right as it leaves the barrel.

IN for the updates. I wanna hear how this goes.

Have you looked down the barrel from both ends to check the rifling, especially to check for burrs on the crown of the muzzle? A tiny burr could be throwing the already unstable bullet off balance right as it leaves the barrel.

post-33433-0-47545100-1306984114_thumb.jpg

post-33433-0-47344500-1306986651_thumb.jpg

That's not a burr, that's a fracture in the material.

That said, a burr inside the barrel is gone after a few shots, same on the crown. An uneven crown should not effect stability to a large degree, but an oversized ID on the barrel lands absolutely will. Crown will definitely impact the bullets poa/poi and consistency in grouping.

This game is all about gyroscopic stability at several thousand feet per second squared, and north of 175,000 revolutions per minute.

Edited by jeep45238

Check the muzzle crown. You may have a Fri afternoon or Monday morning Barrel. Try recrowning it the poorman's way - Brass roundhead bolt chucked up in a hand drill with some valve grinding compound. Ghetto? Yes. but it Works.

Of course go through warranty if possible. But if not, and the barrel passed the bullet test, other than ammo, I'd be looking at the muzzle. :blues:

Edit: missed quite a few pages. Bummer :cryss:

Edited by avatar

Well today has brought good news. I was informed that the gunsmith found that the rifle's twist rate is out of spec. I believe they will be replacing, but not yet sure of the details. Just extremely happy they found the problem and this ordeal is coming to an end. I'll keep y'all updated. I'd like to thank everyone on the forums who contributed to this thread and for guiding me through the process. MUCH appreciated!!!!

Well today has brought good news. I was informed that the gunsmith found that the rifle's twist rate is out of spec. I believe they will be replacing, but not yet sure of the details. Just extremely happy they found the problem and this ordeal is coming to an end. I'll keep y'all updated. I'd like to thank everyone on the forums who contributed to this thread and for guiding me through the process. MUCH appreciated!!!!

That is good news OD...I wonder how that could happen unless it was a .223 barrel.

I want to see pics of the target when you get it back in.

They told me they would test fire before shipping. I just think my situation was a random fluke. I haven't seen (upon hours and hours of google-fu) a case such as this. RAA said they've never had this problem. I believe it. I'm just glad they understand.

Sorry to hear about the problems. After reading all these various posts about keyholing in everything I will chime in. The only reason a bullet will keyhole is because it has the wrong barrel on it, period. Not the crown, ammo, burrs or anything else. The wrong barrel has the wrong twist and the wrong bore diameter. I have 5.45 Veprs, Arsenals, S&W AR uppers and most recently a brand new '86 Tula krink with a virgin East German AK74 chrome lined barrel with a 8.3 inch barrel. None of the guns, including the krink do not keyhole at any distance with 53,60 and 70 grain ammo. Was worried most about the krink especially with the 70 gr. stuff. It has a 1:8 twist so there is one complete revolution before the projectile leaves the bore and groups 2.5-4.5 MOA. It shoots the 70 just fine just a tad lower. the wrong barrel was put on the gun, it happens. I hope they fix it.

Edited by U.S Praetorian
  • Like 1

Haven't you heard? Saigas are now made by century....

I have to say, this thread gave me pause when I decided to buy a Saiga 5.45...

This is the only bad Saiga 5.45 I have heard of. I just fired mine for the first time yesterday and it was a dream.

Haven't you heard? Saigas are now made by century....

I have to say, this thread gave me pause when I decided to buy a Saiga 5.45...

This is the only bad Saiga 5.45 I have heard of. I just fired mine for the first time yesterday and it was a dream.

Same here. And for an update, the rifle NEW rifle is going to the gunsmith to be test fired. Was told they would be sending something next week if all goes well. I'm getting pretty antsy! It's like having to take a leak really, really, bad and the closer to the toilet you get the harder it becomes to hold in. haha

Nothing yet. Last week they told me they had the new replacement rifle and were going to take it to their smith to test fire, then send it this week. I hadn't heard anything back so I emailed them. They said a container of rifles is supposed to be coming in and they hope to get me taken care of this week. Will I get my rifle shipped this week Magic 8-Ball? "Uncertain, ask again later... like next week". I sure hope they send my parts back too, don't understand how they could keep them.

Edited by ODGreenThumb
  • Like 2

I'm definitely watching too, since mine is also converted. I'll be testing mine some more myself, to see about the keyholing issue mines having.

I cant see how, or why they can/could keep your conversion parts.

Thanks for the continuous updates.

Edited by Mullet Man

Well took it out today and sorry to say, I think you are alone in this extreme keyholing venture. My keyholing issue was due to deflection off of a log. It has to do with how my target was mounted against my backstop and some rounds just barely deflecting off of said log. I was able to have my brother replicate it while i watched the POI.

This is what originally had me going on the keyholing issue.....

15xrbmg.jpg

You can see the lack of debris impacting the target unlike the following pic where it becomes almost more noticeable that it was deflected.

This was today, trying to replicate it.....

2wh2joz.jpg

And video showing POI in action. (firing starts about 40seconds into it.).....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBzth5qO7LM

Edited by Mullet Man