SA-12 on the way...

So I finally bought my first Saiga 12 shotgun. I've been wanting one FOREVER but passed on them when they are in every gun store for around $400...lol. It shipped today and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

My question is, once it get here what should I be doing to it and looking for right out of the box? I want to make sure I got a good gun and not a "Vodka Special' like I've been reading about. *gulp* I'm a longtime gun owner, ex-police and ex-military so I plan on doing my usual "new gun" inspection and check it over top to bottom, inside and out.

Sincerely,

A SA-12 Newbie

Edited by Splat

Buy some federal bulk and maybe some quality ammo along with that, and shoot it.

If you can run the fed bulk you are gtg,

but don't bother with the winchester universal, that stuff distorts and jams really easy...

So I finally bought my first Saiga 12 shotgun. I've been wanting one FOREVER but passed on them when they are in every gun store for around $400...lol. It shipped today and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it.

My question is, once it get here what should I be doing to it and looking for right out of the box? I want to make sure I got a good gun and not a "Vodka Special' like I've been reading about. *gulp* I'm a longtime gun owner, ex-police and ex-military so I plan on doing my usual "new gun" inspection and check it over top to bottom, inside and out.

Sincerely,

A SA-12 Newbie

You can always use the search function to look up "Vodka Special" which there are several threads that include really good pics. But what your looking for is when you remove the gas plug, and the puck there should be several small holes in a recessed portion of the gas block meeting the barrel. Use a pen light to look for the holes. There should be 3-4 of them. If you can't see them try using a paper clip to feel around for them ( you can look inside the barrel(be sure it's unloaded first) and see the paper clip potruding. If you've got those 3-4 holes completely unobstructed you don't have a vodka special.

Get some federal bulk and see if it'll cycle. If not, try wearing it in with some high brass,and hand clycling the hell out of it. IF that doesn't help you might consider a bolt/carrier polish. Enjoy!

Thanks guys...

I have been reading a ton of threads and checking the gas ports is one of my first priorities. Cycling some bulk Federal rounds at the range is second.

I do plan on doing a conversion down the road and have been studying up on that as well. What should I be looking at as far as priority parts to order? I want to make sure I'm in compliance with 922R.

I can't wait to get this gun. :)

fire off some slugs out of 5 round mag, buck shot, and bird shot.

If gun only cycles slugs/buckshot then you are probably undergassed..

95% of guns are under gassed because of weak US ammo.

Your gun isn't a vodka special, it was just meant to fire stronger loads.

To fire off the birdshot I would recommend the MD Arms V plug or the new auto plug is getting some good reviews. MD is cheaper and trust me it will work and help your gun cycle better. This is the first thing you need to do after testing if gun will cycle weak ammo because may guns will cycle 99% after MD V plug that would have constant fail to feeds before.

Next start reading threads on how to check your gas ports and see if u can fit paper clip in them. If they are to small or obstructed by gas block your gun may have problems cycling weak ammo and may need a few tweaks. If you convert the gun the new trigger will need polishing with dremel. I suggest polishing rails also.

Go buy a dremel with a polish kit if you haven't already. Makes polishing rails ect easier, i like the wire brush wisp for the rails. Next lube everything very well. The gun comes with a oil bottle for a reason, and IMO needs more oil than other AK's.

Not to get the thread off track, but I never intended my "Vodka Special" comment to turn into a new Saiga "term" when I first posted it a couple of years ago. Now the term turns up on just about every gun board on the internet.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

Not to get the thread off track, but I never intended my "Vodka Special" comment to turn into a new Saiga "term" when I first posted it a couple of years ago. Now the term turns up on just about every gun board on the internet.

Tony Rumore

Tromix

LOL, Tony..and I may be coming to you for some of the gear sir!

Tony Rumore

Tromix

It is now used to scare the newbies :devil:

• Like 1

Oh trust me I'm a bit nervous on this one after all the threads that I have read.

I mean I'll only use the cheap shot for plinking right? I'll be using 00 and sabots for home defense.

NO! Bad newbie BAD! Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels.

I go to Walmart and buy two 15packs of 00 buck, and 100rds of the cheap federal bulk.

After blasting the 30rds of 00 on setting 1 I switch over to setting 2 and blast the bulk box.

I've done this on several saigas and have never had cycling issues..

I've fired over 3,000rds of the bulk crap through my 12's with zero malfunctions

You can buy some ammo and run it through then prepare your mind to dump an additional $500 to get it torun flawless with no Stovepipes, FTF and FTE.

Ouch, bad experience with yours?

No I just wanted to make sure it will run like an AR-15 with no problems. If an intruder comes calling I wanna make sure its 100% realiable. 75% of Saiga-12 aint 100% realiable

You can buy some ammo and run it through then prepare your mind to dump an additional $500 to get it torun flawless with no Stovepipes, FTF and FTE.

Ouch, bad experience with yours?

No I just wanted to make sure it will run like an AR-15 with no problems. If an intruder comes calling I wanna make sure its 100% realiable. 75% of Saiga-12 aint 100% realiable

run like an AR? you should want it to run like an AK.

ARs are prone to problems, Eugene Stoner even admitted that it is a flawed design.. I own 3 ARs and i love them, but i wouldnt want an AK platform to work like an AR in terms of reliability.

Oh trust me I'm a bit nervous on this one after all the threads that I have read.

I mean I'll only use the cheap shot for plinking right? I'll be using 00 and sabots for home defense.

NO! Bad newbie BAD! Sabot slugs are for rifled barrels.

If you can find the BRI type sabot slugs they will work thru a smooth bore--they were originally deisgned for them.:super:

So I picked up my new Russian baby today! She looks slick! I already broke her down to parade rest and looked at all the parts...looks good internally as well. I took the gas plug off and tried to look at my ports but it was too dark and I didn't have my flashlight or anything to feel around in the ports with. Am I going to need a dental explorer? What else can I use?

Also if you can, get or cut a piece of glass to just under the inside diameter of the gas chamber and slid it in for a better view of the gas ports. Taking a cue from the Wile E. Coyote school of gunsmithing, I used a mirror smooth butter knife to get a better view of them. Worked pretty good. :grimace:

So it looks like I have three clear ports with a forth covered by the block. Hmmmm...

I'm going to go and shoot a box or two of Federal bulk and I've also cycled the action by hand about a hundered times to loosen it up.

EDIT and what the hell is up with this cheap ass black paint...it's already starting to flake off and that's just from handling it!

Edited by Splat

and what the hell is up with this cheap ass black paint...it's already starting to flake off and that's just from handling it!

That's a $250 gun for ya. To bad we pay over twice that to get them!

xacex

HA, I know right? It seems to be only flaking off on the fire control assembly pins and on the bolt hold back switch. Wierd. I'll end up redoing the whole thing in OD Green more than likely anyway.

So another new question...what does the stamp TGI KNOX TN mean? I know TGI is a dealer in TN but why is it stampped that way? They put it up to spec for import?

So my first trip to the range today...I haven't stopped smiling since!!!! :super:

Stopped by at my favorite gun shop and picked up 100 rounds of Speer Lawman 12ga 8 shot and some .410 for my Judge (first time shooting it as well) and headed to the range.

Got to the range and loaded 5 rounds into the mag, lock'n load, pulled the trigger and bang! Stovepipe...cleared...fired...stovepipe...cleared...fired...stovepipe...wtf??? Ah, check the gas setting I said to myself...clicked over from 1 to 2. Loaded another 5 rounds into the mag, lock and load, pulled the trigger...bang! Then bang, bang, bang, bang! No issues...no stovepipes, no FTE, no FTF. Fired the rest of the 100 rounds with no problems, jealous stares from other shooters and a smile from ear to ear. :)

Looks like I got lucky with a good gun out of the box guys, what a blast and I'm ready to order my conversion package from CSS. Woot!!!

• 3 weeks later...