Next 3 gun shotgun

Hello, first time poster here. As a 3 gunner I have been watching the developing news of this platform with anticipation for a while. IF this pans out and high cap mags in the 12 round variety appear by next spring the Saiga will be a thing of the past in 3 gun. At least for me.

As much as I love my Saigas I use for 3 gun the MKA is a much more race ready configuration from what can be seen so far. Built in magwell, LRBHO, common ergonomics with the AR platform, which are much easier to use than the Saiga. Pictiny rail to easily mount optics. First thing id do is take a dremel to the front sight base or take it off all together.

The big thing that it seems most of us are holding our breath over is how well its going to run with lighter loads and how well it holds up to the high round count that 3 gunners put through a shotgun and what parts will break after a few thousand rounds.

What's the reliability? How many parts are available for repairs? How common are high cap mags?

Oh yeah, and I can buy 2 Saigas for the price of 1 MKA1919. (Almost...) $1000 for the basic MKA. The MSRP on the S12 is/was/will-be around $600. Add to that the simple operation, huge aftermarket support, and basic reliability.

I just don't see it anytime soon. Maybe someday...

Edited by Heath_h49008

In stock factory form both cost about the same, $600-700. A modded S12 can easily top $2000. A lot of those mods are already stock on the MKA. Aftermarket parts took time to be available for the S12, same will be true for the MKA.

Definitely a gun I will looking into for 3-gun as well.

What's the reliability? How many parts are available for repairs? How common are high cap mags?

Oh yeah, and I can buy 2 Saigas for the price of 1 MKA1919. (Almost...) $1000 for the basic MKA. The MSRP on the S12 is/was/will-be around $600. Add to that the simple operation, huge aftermarket support, and basic reliability.

I just don't see it anytime soon. Maybe someday...

True about the parts issue the same as the S12. Part of the shake out.

As far a price goes it seems to be around the $700 mark now. And I dont have to convert it like I do a S12 plus add magwell and tune mags. Rail mount will be more flexible for optic options as well.

It looks promising, and hopefully this may spur an American company to make a box fed shotgun as well.

I definitely would agree that it would make a very nice option for a 3 gun match. As far as replacing Saiga - I wold not go that far… Just as Nailbomb said above, "it will be just another thing people debate over."

If you compare the price of the MKA-1919, around $700 to what you can normally buy a Saiga-12 for, around $500 - $600, add a basic PG conversion, top rail, and magwell you would find it to be very close in price. And the latest generation of Saigas are coming in with the factory LRBHO as well.

You can easily spend $2000 on accessories and tweaks on ANY weapon if your heart desires!!! I can guarantee you that in very very short period of time this will be the case with MKA-1919 as well!!! You can always make something better and more reliable with better and higher quality (and by definition) more expensive parts, always! The only limit is the amount you are willing to spend.

"Tune mags" - sure… Don't you do a bit of tuning to every weapon you use in a competition? I do. And I am sure you do too, and not just take it out of the box and go to your neighborhood 3-gun match in the morning… 021.gif

As for an "American company to make a box fed shotgun" - I have a feeling that this time will come sooner then you think!!!

Marc agreed. With as many S-12s that are in the country already, you'll see them in competition for the next 50 to 100 years assuming the world does not end next year of course.

In 3 gun the lrbho or lack there of is not a big deal, you never diliberatly let your weapon go dry or to slide lock. Always reload with one in the pipe. Not having a LRBHO makes you more careful about letting the magazine go dry.

Remember this 1919 thing will have a learning curve it will take a while for competitors to master it. Since the 1919 will be in the Open division. it will need optics, and it's not a flat top. Iwas WRONG they are flat tops and optics will be easy to attach

Give me my S-12 anyday. I guess I'm just not jumping on the band wagon with this devolopment.

I wonder where the American Arms Manufacturers are?

Edited by topmaul