New Saiga 308, gas tube slightly crooked...

Hey guys, was lucky to find a brand new RAA Saiga 308 and got it shipped. Noticed when I brought it home that the gas tube is slightly canted to the right. The action works and feels fine, haven't shot it yet. Is this one of those normal "irregularities" of an Izhmash gun or is this something I should consider shipping back for warranty. I was going to post pics but it's difficult to see the tilt of the gas tube in a photo for some reason, I will post if need be. Anyone ever encounter this before or have a gun with a not so perfect gas tube that runs fine?

Just as a question, and something I noticed.

If the front sight is canted, it makes the gas block seem canted in the opposite direction just slightly.

You might want to check if it's not just your front sight, as that's all it seems to be with mine.

In any case, if the gun is functioning, it's a non-issue.

Took it out today and it functioned 100% for 40 rounds. Shoots left, but I guess I just have to sight it. It's def just the gas tube that is crooked, I've studied it in the light like an OCD person several times. But seeing as how function was flawless, I cant complain. My first rifle, I love it.

every saiga .308 i have ever seen in person looks like it has the gas tube canted slightly to the right, it's just the heat shield that is tack welded on slightly crooked. on my personal one, i removed the heat shield and repainted it, looks perfect (and looks like a standard AK tube)

By all means get a GOOD sight tool(the price difference between a good one and poor one is only a few bucks) and zero your rifle.

Most prefer to zero the 308 at 100 yards. The 308 is more flat shooting than the 39R round so 50 or even 25 yards will do in a pinch.

Learn the ballistics of the round and you can zero for any range.

Try a few different kinds of ammo to see what works best in your rifle, it doesn't have to be expensive ammo but there are differences in manufacturing. Anything will feed and go bang but accuracy will improve greatly with the right ammo.

Mine likes the Tula and Bear steel or the German DAG surplus for FMJ. Prvi is preferred for SP rounds if expense is an issue or Remington Cor-Lokt if not.

It would be a canted gas block that would make the gas tube sit crooked. so long as the gasport is not obscured, a canted gasblock is only a cosmetic problem, I wouldn't worry. If you've ever wondered about the "wiggle" all AK gas pistons have, that slop/wiggle helps the system stay reliable even with canted gas blocks etc...

• 2 weeks later...

every saiga .308 i have ever seen in person looks like it has the gas tube canted slightly to the right, it's just the heat shield that is tack welded on slightly crooked. on my personal one, i removed the heat shield and repainted it, looks perfect (and looks like a standard AK tube)

I just picked up an already converted restored 22" S-308 this week, (Ironwood furniture, rivetted factory AK trigger guard etc.. pretty nice), and I thought it had a canted gb until I read this and took a more careful look. That heat shield weld catches the eye and gives the appearance of a canted block.

I've only put ~16 rounds through the rifle so far, but I can hit steel at 100 yrds offhand without touching the factory irons, (still deciding what to repace em with), and I'm really impressed at how soft a shooter she is. The recoil isn't much more than my 7.62x39 Saigas.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I just picked up an already converted restored 22" S-308 this week, (Ironwood furniture, rivetted factory AK trigger guard etc.. pretty nice), and I thought it had a canted gb until I read this and took a more careful look. That heat shield weld catches the eye and gives the appearance of a canted block.

I've only put ~16 rounds through the rifle so far, but I can hit steel at 100 yrds offhand without touching the factory irons, (still deciding what to repace em with), and I'm really impressed at how soft a shooter she is. The recoil isn't much more than my 7.62x39 Saigas.

It is my thought that during manufacture of the tube, somehow the heat shield was aligned with the lengthwise fluting instead of to the point where it's secured in the rear, causing them all to have the appearance they look off.

on a side note, i'm about to post up my own S308, surely everything i've done to it has been done before, but maybe not quite in this configuration!

It is my thought that during manufacture of the tube, somehow the heat shield was aligned with the lengthwise fluting instead of to the point where it's secured in the rear, causing them all to have the appearance they look off.

on a side note, i'm about to post up my own S308, surely everything i've done to it has been done before, but maybe not quite in this configuration!

Optical illusions aside, maybe the gas block is just a little crooked. Mine is. Or maybe the whole barrel is a little off. Either way, there's still plenty of gas to cycle the thing with vigor and it shoots fine (that's what she said?).

Welcome to the club PA, wondered how long it would be :)

This has turned into my favorite rifle to shoot though I still like the 39R for the less expensive ammo.

The irons are a bit of an issue, it deserves better than the ruskie sights.

Posting my solution soon as I remember to get my camera functional again. Always something aint it.

Welcome to the club PA, wondered how long it would be :)

This has turned into my favorite rifle to shoot though I still like the 39R for the less expensive ammo.

The irons are a bit of an issue, it deserves better than the ruskie sights.

Posting my solution soon as I remember to get my camera functional again. Always something aint it.

Thanks. It was just a matter of time. :D

When you mention the "less expensive 39R", I'll assume you mean 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, or maybe 5.45x39. ^_^

I haven't decided which direction to go with the irons yet, so I look forward to seeing your "solution".

Yeah 7.62x39 39R is just me being lazy.

Got caught up on the bills FINALLY so will get that camera going in a couple weeks.

Get your ammo sorted out yet?

Sorted out in the short term, yeah. A couple days ago I received: 500 rnds of Brown Bear FMJ for general range use, 100 rnds of LC Tracers for shits n giggles, and 1 box of Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr BTHP, (beautiful ammo), to truly test her accuracy.

I'd like to stock up on some surplus boxer-primed brass, but I haven't seen any particularly good deals on it.

Surplus boxer is kind of tough as I haven't really found any worth the price.

Did find the Bear ammo good for range and about as cheap as it gets of course. The lacquer coated also stores well in adverse conditions.

Mine likes the German MEN that I had gotten for my boltie so I got a couple extra battle packs of it.

Good stuff but may want to repackage it if the boxes are acidic.

The Priv ammo is also good boxer ammo. Needed some soft point any way that was cheaper than Remington Core Lokt the rifle really prefers.

So far 150gr is working the best but not much difference on the 168. Long as I get 2-2.5MOA Im tickled.

Was able to add a Tech-sight aperture with windage and elevation intended for Marlin on a DPH beryl mount, lot of grinding and shaping but it works great.

Well worth the effort.

Wow didnt mean to get long winded, enjoy the rifle.

I've been looking at the German 90's brass also. The MEN seems significantly more expensive than the tarnished DAG from the same era.

I've read that the DAG uses a copper/nickel jacket with a small iron content, (may contribute to barrel wear). Do you think that with these Russian hammer-forged chromed barrels that this would result in significant additional wear compared to more common all-copper bullet jackets?

Do the German MEN rounds use the same blended jacket material?

The "slightly tarnished", (no difference in performance), DAG rounds are available for ~$0.40/rnd in 200 rnd battle packs or ~$0.38/rnd for 1000. The cleaner MEN rounds are ~$0.45/rnd per 200 or ~$0.42/rnd per 1k.

Well there have been complaints about corroded DAG in battle packs so I avoid it. MEN has a solid rep so for a few cents I go with it and to date no complaints.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/34878/t/Re-Picked-up-some-German-quot-Dag-7-62-x-51-quot-ammo-today.html?page=-1#.TgDZm1tXuqs

I would always suggest repackaging ammo intended to withstand the test of time. Also means you KNOW what condition things are right off.

NATO ammo was made to work with chrome barrels and the Russian chrome has a solid rep, its what got me into Saigas, so theres no issue there I am aware of at all.

Unlined barrels are a different matter and outside of a Mosin I dont have any.

If your are going for range use by all means save money and use the steel that works best. After all Ruskies love the stuff. Its good enough and cheeeeper (more bangs for the rapidly falling bucks). As in all matters, your priorities may well be other than mine :)