Buh...Buh...Buh...Bullshit

I had to go pick up a copy of my FFL's paperwork to snail mail it. When I was there he told me no more $20 transfers. I now have to pay 8.7% sales tax on any gun I buy...which can be offset by any sales tax I pay elsewhere. So the bottom line for me is I have to pay sales tax on the fair market value of my saiga 12...which FMV according to the book he had was $250. :lolol::lolol:

I had to go pick up a copy of my FFL's paperwork to snail mail it. When I was there he told me no more $20 transfers. I now have to pay 8.7% sales tax on any gun I buy...which can be offset by any sales tax I pay elsewhere. So the bottom line for me is I have to pay sales tax on the fair market value of my saiga 12...which FMV according to the book he had was $250. :lolol::lolol:

Tell him I would like to purchase 10 of them :angel:

There is a shop out here who tried to pull that bullshit on me, charging tax for an online purchase from an out of state dealer and transfered through him. Completely ridiculous. I haven't been back to that shop since.

Thanks KC. I will check with some of the other FFL's around and see what their doing. Don't know if it has anything to do with him being a pawn shop but I have done a lot of $20 transfers with him and on a couple he didn't even charge me.

My dealer here in FL charges sales tax on the actual cost of the transfer service, but not the background check IIRC.

Yeah, here in VA we are supposed to pay tax on internet purchases at the end of the year. Collecting sales tax on something you didn't sell doesn't make much sense to me. but who knows, there are crazier laws. $20 isn't bad for a transfer fee though. I just recently found a hole in the wall gun shop that will transfer for $20. I was paying $35, and some places wanted $50! I guess at that price they are just trying to avoid doing them altogeather.

I'm 30 minutes from Post Falls ID and 45 from Coeur d' Alene. I don't anticipate buying many more long guns because I can't fit them in my safe... :unsure:

I had that problem. You know that if you are willing to go pick them up that you can sometimes get class 5 GSA containers for $1000 or less?

Sadly this one is in Anchorage. Well, OK, it's not so sad if you are in Anchorage, as there just are not as many potential bidders as you get for the containers from Ft Meade or Mechanicsburg.

Paying tax on a transfer is like paying tax on prepared food. You're paying tax for the service, not the product. You should really have this clear with your FFL before having it shipped there.

It seems to me that the local shops are trying anything they can to squeeze money out of gun sales. Granted, I am speaking of the not so good local shops and shop owners that will rob their own mothers blind if given the chance. I saw go elsewhere to spend your hard earned $$.

Yeah i had a pawn shop in spokane wa. charge me sales tax for a transfer. I just assumed it was state regs or some shit.

Which pawn shop??? That is what I'm talking about...a Spokane pawn shop told me that.

i believe its state law now... i've purchased from 4 ffls in the south east part of the state and all of them recently started charging sales tax on my online purchases. i tried severall the last time because i thought it was bull shit, but they all said the same thing.

Here in Washington State we have an extreme-left-wing Governor named Christine Gregoire. When she first ran for office the State had a $3 billion dollar surplus; within four years we were $5 billion in the hole. Guess what? The sheople re-elected her. Now she's making noises about how deep in debt we are (duh) and is scraping the bottom of the barrel for every cent in revenue she can find-- this "use tax" is part of the deal. It's state-wide, and no getting around it, at least for firearm purchases. :chris:

ETA: Forgot to mention that Gregoire was the woman who brought you five-dollar-a-pack cigarettes, when she was Attorney General here about fifteen years ago-- the program was so successful at the state level (looting the tobacco industry) that ol' Slick Willie applied it nationwide, and by now the tactic has been used against just about every successful industry in the country. And people say I'm cynical-- :dollar:

Edited by Ductapeman

Yeah i had a pawn shop in spokane wa. charge me sales tax for a transfer. I just assumed it was state regs or some shit.

Correct on both accounts; it's now a state regulation for FFL Dealers to collect this when their customer purchases a firearm out-of-state that is transferred in-state, and it's shit!

http://dor.wa.gov/content/getaformorpublication/publicationbysubject/taxtopics/firearmtransfers.aspx

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=82.12.010

http://dor.wa.gov/Docs/Pubs/SpecialNotices/2011/sn_11_FirearmsUseTax.pdf

Allegedly, this requirement started becoming enforceable o/a March of this year. The shit of it is, the FFL Dealer is now required to fill out some new state form, collect the "use" or sales tax, and forward it to the State Feds, without receiving a penny of it. Sure, the FFL Dealer still collects his transfer fee from you, but this extra paperwork and hassle associated with the "use tax" he doesn't receive anything for his trouble.

I became "enlightened" about this when three weeks ago I picked-up a new pistol that I had purchased off of Gunbroker.com, from my FFL Dealer.

If you happen across a Washington State FFL Dealer that doesn't collect it, he/she is breaking the law.

This makes me so :angry:

Edited by Gary

It could be worse...like Maryland!

Sales Tax on purchase (Even Internet) is 6%. Add $65.00-$75,00 transfer fee plus State Police fee.

When Saigas were cheap mine cost over $600.00. A $629.00 AR-15 clone cost me over $800.00 after all the BS.

And the FFL siezes any mag over 20 rounds. So you get a single shot AK after all that crap.