5.45 no need for bullet guide?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had 1 jam out of 100 rounds without a bullet guide while using milsurps. Made a bullet guide for it, and haven't had a jam since (about 300rds later). I had to make a bullet guide because the CSS ro

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I just opened up my 5th tin of 7n6 without a single FTF or FTE using Bulgarian mags and no bullet guide in my Saiga.

A Saiga rifle without a bullet guide is crippled. Why allow your Saiga to have the reliability of an AR when for an extra $20 it can have the reliability of a Kalashnikov!

Lets just say you should experience a failure to feed once and a while and particularly the last round of the mag. I bought one and waited to experience a FTF to install it. I believe I went through 6-8 30 round mags before I had my first failure and after that I said one FTF was enough, installed a bullet guide. To build up your confidence, it was the first time I ever drill tapped anything. Not that hard to get 100% reliability.

I had 1 jam out of 100 rounds without a bullet guide while using milsurps. Made a bullet guide for it, and haven't had a jam since (about 300rds later). I had to make a bullet guide because the CSS round guide wasn't thick enough to lift the bullet. I ended up using it as a template and made one that was thicker. Runs like a champ now.

Edited by W8lifter
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have ran about 700 rounds through mine with no failures without a bg using bulgarian poly mags. It is a round trunion gun imported by legion. If I have any failures I will install one but untill then if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I had to modify the sh%t outta my bullet guide, but that was I started to drill/tap without a proper punch. Basically I drilled too close to the barrel, causing me to widen the already drilled screw hole on the BG. Also, the BG was too high and I had to grind it down a few mM to allow the bolt to close properly and finish the paint job with high heat enamel Rust-o-leum. In essence, you should be somewhat prepared to modify the BG before you permanently put it onto your rifle. FYI, I had a dinzagarms round trunnion BG... No regrets choosing Dinzagarms BG and works amazingly once fitted right.

Did you guys without the bullet guide need to modify the magazines or rifle to make them fit? I can't get a straight answer on this.

I only had to modify the bg, the mags fit in right away for me

Edited by WhoDat504
  • 2 weeks later...

Surplus mags run like a champ in my newly converted Saiga 5.45. No bullet guide installed.

Flat or round trunnion?

I have no idea. It's the newer import with PG nut hole, threads under the Saiga FSB and pre cut slots for the handguard in the barrel.

I have no idea. It's the newer import with PG nut hole, threads under the Saiga FSB and pre cut slots for the handguard in the barrel.

Your 5.45 barrel had threads under the shroud? I have a bunch of people telling me this is impossible.

Did you guys without the bullet guide need to modify the magazines or rifle to make them fit? I can't get a straight answer on this.

I haven't modified my 5.45 yet and just for grins I tried running it with some surplus 30 rounders and it functioned flawlessly for 150 rounds and no bullet guide.

Both of mine worked fine without the bullet guide but I installed CSS bullet guides. I have had to modify Dinzag BG's before so I went with the CSS guide kit which were less expensive and fit perfectly. I also get charged sales tax by dinzag because of location so that made a difference in my choice.

Your 5.45 barrel had threads under the shroud? I have a bunch of people telling me this is impossible.

I haven't cut it off yet to tell for sure but if you look at the muzzle closely it definitely appears that there are threads under it. I could have sworn I read some posts here where others had threaded tips on their 5.45 barrels?

Surplus mags run like a champ in my newly converted Saiga 5.45. No bullet guide installed.

Flat or round trunnion?

Here is a pic of both.