5.45 no need for bullet guide?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had 1 jam out of 100 rounds without a bullet guide while using milsurps. Made a bullet guide for it, and haven't had a jam since (about 300rds later). I had to make a bullet guide because the CSS ro

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but I just opened up my 5th tin of 7n6 without a single FTF or FTE using Bulgarian mags and no bullet guide in my Saiga.

A Saiga rifle without a bullet guide is crippled. Why allow your Saiga to have the reliability of an AR when for an extra $20 it can have the reliability of a Kalashnikov!

A Saiga rifle without a bullet guide is crippled. Why allow your Saiga to have the reliability of an AR when for an extra $20 it can have the reliability of a Kalashnikov!

Well said!

Not exactly, I have over 5000 round through mine without one reliability issue. I wouldn't say that is less than Kalashnikov reliability. It should be noted that it is a authenticity requirement, and I plan on it someday, but for the time being, I am 100% complacent without having one.

Edited by beefcakeb0

Fired my 5.45 for the first time yesterday. Out of 120 rounds only 2 failed to feed, both due to lack of a bullet guide. I was using 1975 7n6.

Bullet guide is not a compliance part.

You sure you were holding your mouth right?

Fired my 5.45 for the first time yesterday. Out of 120 rounds only 2 failed to feed, both due to lack of a bullet guide. I was using 1975 7n6.

Bullet guide is not a compliance part.

You sure you were holding your mouth right?

Depends how big the... nvm.

No bullet guide and I've dumped plenty of 30 round magazines in 2 seconds no problems.

I guess some of us are lucky. It'll do sub MOA groups at 500 yards too........ :rolleyes:

Edited by toshbar
  • Like 1

I have red Lock-tite holding mine in as well as a barrel adapter on the front of the gun for my 24mm brake to fit... That sh!t aint budging anytime soon...

Look up the specs for red lock-tite, it takes temps in the mid 300 F to even start to break the bonds. Something like a bullet guide machined screw is more than stay put, its virtually stuck for good.

Anybody ever braze theirs on after screwing it in? Call me paranoid, but I just can't come to trust only a machine screw and some locktite to hold that part in.

Get out the mig welder and put your mind to rest.

2 coats black spray paint to finish it off, bake it under a 75 watt bulb for about 20 minutes.

I have red Lock-tite holding mine in as well as a barrel adapter on the front of the gun for my 24mm brake to fit... That sh!t aint budging anytime soon...

Look up the specs for red lock-tite, it takes temps in the mid 300 F to even start to break the bonds. Something like a bullet guide machined screw is more than stay put, its virtually stuck for good.

The mechanical engineering background in me is still paranoid about that stuff in certain applications where failure is absolutely unacceptable.

Anybody ever braze theirs on after screwing it in? Call me paranoid, but I just can't come to trust only a machine screw and some locktite to hold that part in.

Get out the mig welder and put your mind to rest.

2 coats black spray paint to finish it off, bake it under a 75 watt bulb for about 20 minutes.

No MIG - and in there I wouldn't want a MIG anyway. Tig, then Oxy/fuel, then silver solder/braze

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like it all depends on the mags you get.

I have two 30 rd circle 21 mags that jams on the last round w/o a bullet guide consistently. My 4 bakelite RPK 45rd mags run flawlessly.

So, I've only be using the RPK mags.. and I am through 2 cases of ammo now.

I intend to install a BG.. I have the kit.. just haven't taken the time to get over to a buddy's house to use his drill press.

But the point is, if you have to you can potentially get along without a BG. But it is so inexpensive and easy to install, why WOULDN'T you plan on putting one in?

EDIT:

LOL. So I just called my buddy to see if we can figure out a time for me to come out and use his tools this week. We couldn't work out a good day, so being fed up with waiting.. I just walked out into the shed, drilled my gun with a hand drill, and <drum roll>

Tapped it by chucking the tap up in a battery powered hand drill and going nice and slow.

Worked great. I roughed up the surfaces of the gun and BG and used a little JB weld for extra security, and tossed in some red loctite. Dunno why I waited.

It's easy. Just do it.

Edited by sickness

after installing and modifying the bullet guide to fit and to still be able to use factory 10 rounder, my saiga still jams on the last round of 2 outer 6 mags, plz someone help

It is easier to modify the factory Saiga mags to work with the bullet guide than vice versa. Just dremel out the front of the Saiga factory to about 1/8 inch below the mag sides and it should work perfect. There is a picture somewhere on this site for that.

use a surplus mag for a guide.....very easy mod.

after installing and modifying the bullet guide to fit and to still be able to use factory 10 rounder, my saiga still jams on the last round of 2 outer 6 mags, plz someone help

It is easier to modify the factory Saiga mags to work with the bullet guide than vice versa. Just dremel out the front of the Saiga factory to about 1/8 inch below the mag sides and it should work perfect. There is a picture somewhere on this site for that.

so i should get another bullet guide?

If you modified the bullet guide to fit the factory mag, then that may be a good idea, as you probably defeated the purpose of the bullet guide if you shortened it up to work with factory mags, instead of just modifying the factory mags (you really don't have to take much off of the front of the factory mags to make them work with the bullet guide installed).

If you modified the bullet guide to fit the factory mag, then that may be a good idea, as you probably defeated the purpose of the bullet guide if you shortened it up to work with factory mags, instead of just modifying the factory mags (you really don't have to take much off of the front of the factory mags to make them work with the bullet guide installed).

but on my 7.62, i installed dinzags bg, and the factory mags fit and works without modifying, and it does not jam with military mags either, whats the different between 5.45 and 7.62, they both have flat trunnion

but on my 7.62, i installed dinzags bg, and the factory mags fit and works without modifying, and it does not jam with military mags either, whats the different between 5.45 and 7.62, they both have flat trunnion

The 7.62x39 has a different shoulder angle then the 5.45x39. Which is why a lot of the 5.45s can feed reliably from surp mags without the bullet guide.

Edited by beefcakeb0