Ace Stock + Buckshot = Punched in the face

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I need a workaround for this as I cannot keep doing it.

I have an Ace stock on my Saiga 12 and when I shoot it while standing, the way I have my face/cheek on the stock in order to aim with the stock iron sites literally feels like I am getting punched in the face when shooting high brass buckshot. Now, I'm definitely not afraid of recoil and its not from the rifle jumping or moving. In order for me to obtain a proper sight picture my cheek bone is situated directly on top of the metal bar of the Ace stock. I pull the trigger and the recoil goes right to my cheek - it literally feels like someone is punching me.

A friend mentioned wrapping it with paracord, but I highly doubt that the paracord will be enough of a buffer. What have any of you here used to get around this problem? The other issue is I can't really have anything that rises my cheekweld too high either as I would not be able to look down the sites then.

Ideas?

I have the same stock on one of my S12's also. Wrap it in paracord and hold it tighter into your shouder. That should be enough. If it's not buy a cheek pad or a new stock. I like my Tromix stock with Limbsaver the best and recommend it even without the Limbsaver. The bottom line is that if you can't comfortably shoot your weapon you need to make some changes while you don't need it to defend your life. Once you are defending your life it is too late to make any changes.

I have the ace stock and also experience this problem when I don't have a good shoulder weld. I remember seeing a thread where Cobra was designing a new cheek rest for this stock. I'm interested in the new sights and cheek rest but haven't gotten around to ordering yet.

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I need a workaround for this as I cannot keep doing it.

I have an Ace stock on my Saiga 12 and when I shoot it while standing, the way I have my face/cheek on the stock in order to aim with the stock iron sites literally feels like I am getting punched in the face when shooting high brass buckshot. Now, I'm definitely not afraid of recoil and its not from the rifle jumping or moving. In order for me to obtain a proper sight picture my cheek bone is situated directly on top of the metal bar of the Ace stock. I pull the trigger and the recoil goes right to my cheek - it literally feels like someone is punching me.

A friend mentioned wrapping it with paracord, but I highly doubt that the paracord will be enough of a buffer. What have any of you here used to get around this problem? The other issue is I can't really have anything that rises my cheekweld too high either as I would not be able to look down the sites then.

Ideas?

If you don't NEED magnum buckshot for whatever you are doing, just go to a punchy 2 3/4 round, or even a reduced recoil round. If the load is such that the recoil is out of control and beating you up - it isn't the gun, and it isn't you - it's the load.

A buddy of mine took the padding piece from the handlebars of a kids bicycle and put it over the top bar of his ace stock with black electrical tape wrapped around it at the ends to keep it in place. It's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but it seems to work fine for him.

You could "Bubba" some rigid pipe insulation foam on it, maybe with a leather wrap. You seem to know about recoil, but I'll stress the need to draw the buttstock into your shoulder. That's the best recoil management there is.

Same thing happens to me when shooting PatriaPovo's S12 with AK74 laminate stock. Something stings in the cheekbone no matter what load it seems but I don't recall the same feeling when shooting mine long ago when I had a poly fixed stock (maybe I just don't remember). Possibly it's what the stock is made of that makes the cheek slap greater or lesser, don't know really, just thinking out loud.

Z

Dragunov Cheekrest;

svd_cheekpad.gif

Works great for the Russian triangle stocks too;

11cheekpad_black.jpg

Infact, it works so great on the triangles that the rank & file would always steal the unit sniper's cheekrest, that's why it's built into the PSL's stock.

Dragunov Cheekrest;

svd_cheekpad.gif

11cheekpad_black.jpg

Infact, it works so great on the triangles that the rank & file would always steal the unit sniper's cheekrest, that's why it's built into the PSL's stock.

That looks like it may work. Where do you get one; and what do they usually run?

I looked at the site that is watermarked in the picture and didn't see any for sale.

Dragunov Cheekrest;

svd_cheekpad.gif

11cheekpad_black.jpg

That looks like it may work. Where do you get one; and what do they usually run?

I looked at the site that is watermarked in the picture and didn't see any for sale.

There's currently 7 on GunBroker ranging from $65 to $90 Just search "Dragunov Cheek Rest"
  • Like 1