The scoop on converted Saiga from Classic Arms

Just picked mine up from Broken Arrow National Guns in oklahoma. Who by the way is a great guy and has the best ffl transfer price in town!!027.gif

Anyhow the gun came brand new with a tapco g2 trigger and tapco stock and pistol grip. The gun does have a bullet guide but to my dismay came witout the advertised 30 round tapco mag or the original short mag from the factory. I will be calling classic to find out what happended to my mags. As far as i can tell the work done was on the trigger group and piston grip and bullet guide . Also there was a hole left unplugged on the bottom of the receiver right next to the trigger. So there you go ... it is what it is.. The pistol grip is a little shaky I need to tighten it..... and classic didnt send me any mags AT ALL ..010.gif.. The price was $500.00 plus $25.00 shipping and $10 bucks transfer.. (i gave 20 cause my ffl is great) and the gun is a brand new saiga as it should be..000.gif

Ill post pics later and Ill be happy to answer any questions. Oh by the way shipping was very fast and did I mention my ffl is GREAT... ok thats all for now.

Edited by xunan
  • Like 2

I love classic arms but I ordered a WASR from them onetime, and recieved an excellent WASR but, it didn't come with a sling. It was supposed to come with a sling. IDK what happened with that, maybe they ran out, and I never followed up so I can't say whether or not they would have sent a sling.

the person on the phone was very nice, and my order was shipped very quickly.

My experience with Classic Arms has been good, but had I known about the vendors on the forum being able to deliver the same product, I perhaps would have gone that route, even though some may be slightly pricier. I have and will use forum vendors for parts. CA does have a good website that I visit regularly.

hey xunan do you have any info on that guy in broken bow like a website ? I live in OK as well

He is in Broken Arrow Oklahoma his web site is: www.davidsons...dealer id=68675

Edited by Wolverine
Non Business Member link

The UGLY

That bullet guide is tacked on!!.. Oh well looks solid and the welds do not ride above the height of the bullet guide so should be ok in theory.. time will tell...and I have to get a original ak mag to see if they will fit and feed...

post-33390-0-75549800-1306614968_thumb.jpg

The UGLY

That bullet guide is tacked on!!.. Oh well looks solid and the welds do not ride above the height of the bullet guide so should be ok in theory.. time will tell...and I have to get a original ak mag to see if they will fit and feed...

If I was a 7.62x39 guy I would pay it forward a mag, but alas I am not, maybe a nice member here could send one for cheap or something.

The UGLY

If I was a 7.62x39 guy I would pay it forward a mag, but alas I am not, maybe a nice member here could send one for cheap or something.

Ill wait till after the holiday and call classic about my mags..

But yeah kinda sucks not having a mag to try out fit and feed...

Im thinking about picking one of these up.

Any downside to the bullet guide being installed in this manner?

Thanks,

Fin

if its a good weld, it will last forever. just cosmetically ugly.

The gun does have a bullet guide but to my dismay came witout the advertised 30 round tapco mag or the original short mag from the factory. I will be calling classic to find out what happended to my mags.

This would explain how they are selling factory Saiga 7.62x39 10rd mags for $9.95. It doesn't claim they come with the factory magazine, though, just the 30 round. I would definitely call them and get your missing 30 round mag, even if it is just a cheap $7.00 Tapco mag.

The trigger guard and bullet guide also look a little bubba style to me. I would have paid the extra ~$200.00 for an Arsenal SGL if I were going to buy a pre-converted Saiga, personally.

Edited by KC913

Slowly transforming .. I like the plain jane battle hardened look ....007.gif

Took some filing to make that old romy gas tube work and the shroud is cut back waiting for my threading equipment to get here..

Next will be a side mount and a red dot sight and then Im done..

post-33390-0-78179700-1307281862_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lurking here for about a year and I'm finally ready to get my first Saiga. I don't have the means or any tools to do the conversion myself and my original plan was try to find someone local in AZ to do the conversion for me. Is this the deal I should finally jump on? The price seems to be about what I'd end up paying for a conversion and/or parts in the first place.

Do they refinish the receiver? I shouldn't be so concerned about cosmetics but I want my new rifle to look new. Thanks!

I've been lurking here for about a year and I'm finally ready to get my first Saiga. I don't have the means or any tools to do the conversion myself and my original plan was try to find someone local in AZ to do the conversion for me. Is this the deal I should finally jump on? The price seems to be about what I'd end up paying for a conversion and/or parts in the first place.

Do they refinish the receiver? I shouldn't be so concerned about cosmetics but I want my new rifle to look new. Thanks!

I would buy an Arsenal. You would be cutting out the needed trip to have it converted, and an Arsenal is ready to go out of the box.

ETA: Most people in my neck of the woods were charging way too much for the conversion. If I had all my parts, they still wanted to charge $250!!!! I decided I would do it myself for that price.

Edited by stnls1911
  • Like 1

I would buy an Arsenal. You would be cutting out the needed trip to have it converted, and an Arsenal is ready to go out of the box.

ETA: Most people in my neck of the woods were charging way too much for the conversion. If I had all my parts, they still wanted to charge $250!!!! I decided I would do it myself for that price.

The thing with the SGL21 is I would end up replacing all the furniture. Are there any other significant differences? The only thing the SGL21 has that I want and is lacking on the Classic Arms conversion is the front sight block and muzzle break. I figure it would be cheaper than $300 to get that done down the line. Is it worth it?

The thing with the SGL21 is I would end up replacing all the furniture. Are there any other significant differences? The only thing the SGL21 has that I want and is lacking on the Classic Arms conversion is the front sight block and muzzle break. I figure it would be cheaper than $300 to get that done down the line. Is it worth it?

It just depends on which way you go with the furniture. If you are going to use Saiga-specific furniture, then it would be beneficial to buy a stock Saiga. I think a good gunsmith would charge a reasonable price to swap out the FSB.

• Like 1

no the SGL is also MILSPEC and has all the proper parts not retarded welds on it

also the Arsenal furnature is not cheap so you could sell it and buy what ever crappy furnature you were thinking of putting on it and have money left over

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

The gun does have a bullet guide but to my dismay came witout the advertised 30 round tapco mag or the original short mag from the factory. I will be calling classic to find out what happended to my mags.

This would explain how they are selling factory Saiga 7.62x39 10rd mags for $9.95. It doesn't claim they come with the factory magazine, though, just the 30 round. I would definitely call them and get your missing 30 round mag, even if it is just a cheap $7.00 Tapco mag.

The trigger guard and bullet guide also look a little bubba style to me. I would have paid the extra ~$200.00 for an Arsenal SGL if I were going to buy a pre-converted Saiga, personally.

Being that this gun is now $450 tops, and the Arsenal's are around $825, they look to be almost $400 cheaper than the Arsenals. Arsenal is definitely more refined, but if I wanted refined, I'd get an AR. Just my opinion.

If you have a dremel tool with a cutting wheel, and a rubber mallet it really isn't hard to cut it off and put another one on yourself. Thats what I did. I was nervous at first, but it proved to be a pretty easy process. Google and YouTube are definately your friends if you want to learn more about it. The trick is to take your time and not rush. I would say the biggest PITA about it was making sure it was on straight and not canted. I had to take it to the range a few times and keep making adjustments to it until it was shooting straight again. Now that it shoots straight I couldn't be happier.

Edited by Spanky8834