Well the title sums it up, but here's the background story:

I'm deployed in the middle east at the moment and my buddy is hanging on to all my stuff including my guns back in the states. I was talking to him a bit ago and he told me that my Ruger SR9C was stolen. He knows who did it but the guy skipped town, got my boy's PS3 too. Apparently he lost his job, couldn't feed his daughter, and needed money but I still want to hit him with a crowbar.

Sucks, I really loved that pistol. Get to the point, I'll obviously need to buy a new compact carry/ tactical/ highway speed limit sign plinking/ self defense (all purpose) pistol when I get back. I don't get back home until February but alas I've come here soliciting advice.

I'm thinking about just buying another Ruger, but maybe this is fate telling me to switch it up.

Here's my preferences: manual safety a must, 9mm, 3.5-4 inch barrel, mag cap anywhere from 10-18. Trying hard to think what is out there like that, maybe the FN-P?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks in advance.

Eh sorry, not a Glock fan at all.

This dude is about as trusted as they come in my book, we've been through a lot of shit together. If my buddy had any interest in robbing me, I've got some guns that are a lot nicer than that Ruger. This is deployment no. 4 for me, you just gotta accept that stuff like this happens sometimes and it's out of your control.

I'm considering maybe a S&W MP9C. The Beretta Px4 subcompact looks interesting also. Anybody have any feedback on these weapons?

Edited by dannyfantasy

Get a Glock and leave your stuff with trusted Fam or in storage

+1 on the Glock, but it doesn't meet OP's manual-safety requirement and he is apparently not as fan, anyway.

People in this thread seem to like the PX4. But my advice? If you really liked the SR9C, I'd just pick up another one. I don't see any reason not to. I love my Glocks. If someone stole one, I'd surely replace it with a Glock.

Eh sorry, not a Glock fan at all.

This dude is about as trusted as they come in my book, we've been through a lot of shit together. If my buddy had any interest in robbing me, I've got some guns that are a lot nicer than that Ruger. This is deployment no. 4 for me, you just gotta accept that stuff like this happens sometimes and it's out of your control.

I'm considering maybe a S&W MP9C. The Beretta Px4 subcompact looks interesting also. Anybody have any feedback on these weapons?

I'm more interested in what you are going to do with the bastard that stole your guns. I hate thieves with a passion :angry2:. If you are not into plastic handguns, I highly recommending you look into a SIG non plastic versions. Be safe and thank you for service.

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

stoeger cougar, 15+1, $400 or the new compact cougar , 13+1

Wow, I'd never even heard of that, it's like a tiny cheap M9. Pretty cool, thanks.

I'm more interested in what you are going to do with the bastard that stole your guns. I hate thieves with a passion :angry2:. If you are not into plastic handguns, I highly recommending you look into a SIG non plastic versions. Be safe and thank you for service.

Yakdung

Oh, I've got some plans that I probably shouldn't discuss publicly....

stoeger cougar, 15+1, $400 or the new compact cougar , 13+1

If he could adapt to shooting a Glock, the fact he's military can get him one for the same price as the Stoeger through their Military/LEO sales program. A Glock and three mags for that price is way better than the Ruger or Stoeger.

ETA: My last G19 was $409 with three 15 rounders.

Edited by MT Predator

Danny, do you have the serial of the stolen Ruger? If he pawned it, they'll run the number to see if it's hot. Did your buddy report it stolen BTW? I can't see why you guys are letting this go. Just because you are deployed doesn't mean that you should think loosing your shit while gone is acceptable or normal.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I recommend the Ruger. While I don't personally own one, a buddy that I go shooting with quite often has one. It's a very nice pistol and I'm not a big fan of Ruger semi-autos...

Now if you want a handgun in a man's caliber we'll talk about something different... :haha:

Im sorry for your loss :cryss: I have an sr9c and wouldnt trade it for any glock or xd in the world, almost 1200rds with no malfunction. Get another one, and some +p+127gr ranger Ts, for when you find your old one. and maybe a spiked bat.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my CZ75 Compact, but wish it had come with the plastic floorplates in the mags. 9mm, manual safety, DA if you so choose, but no decocker on the standard version. It has the same grip angle as a 1911 or any other Browning-designed pistol. It's a little heavy, all steel, but I have fed anything from CCI shotshells to 90gr frangibles @1600fps to 147gr Hydrashocks *in the same magazine* and it doesn't care. It just eats anything and keeps shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Danny, the Stoeger Cougar started out as a Beretta (8000)Cougar, until Beretta shipped the manufacturing over to Turkey I believe. Stoeger is a subsidiary of Beretta; and yes the Cougar is, in essence similar to a compact 92. Good observation.

Why not just replace your SR9 with another?

Edited by Kevin in Texas

beretta 92f is a great choice as well.

*edit*

i didnt know anything about the SR9C, but i googled it, and it looks very similar to a glock. almost looks like they have the same style trigger safety.

SR9_G36c.jpg

im just curious danny, why do you like the SR9 and not the glock? they look so similar.

Edited by Cali_Armz

Thanks for all the suggestions from everybody... probably just will get another SR9C but still thinking.

To answer Cali Armz... I have a fair bit of experience shooting Glocks and think they are fine weapons. Accurate and reliable. Yes, I'd say that Ruger almost completely ripped off the Glock trigger safety. Nothing wrong with that, it's a great design. I think the SR9C has some distinct advantages especially as a carry pistol. The different sized magazines are very nice, 10 rounder for concealed carry and the 17 rounder with a grip extension for range/spare mag. Indeed the compact Glocks can take the full sized mags but it sticks out and is awkward and ugly...not to mention I think the whole pistol is ugly. It seems like the SR9C is designed ground up as a CCW whereas the G26 seems more like a scaled down G19/G17. Other features I like about the Ruger is the adjustable rear sight and ambi thumb safety. The 3.5 inch barrel is just about perfect sized too. Add in flawless function and solid accuracy for its size and I really love that gun.

Now we could have a 10 page thread debating the virtues of manual safeties, I'm sure there's one on this forum if you dig for a bit. In my day to day life stateside, I don't foresee a situation where it will take me longer to flick off a safety than it will take me to decide it's time to shoot. I usually carry in my belt without a holster and would be very uncomfortable carrying something like a Glock or Sig condition 1, enough so that I'd probably leave it in 3. To rack the slide before firing would completely defeat the point of eliminating the safety to begin with. I have had years of professional firearms operation and training, never had an ND but I know I'm not perfect and may slip up some day. I just don't want that day to cost me my dick.

Now a full sized Glock in a holster for a duty weapon? Tough to beat. But for day to day carry stateside I'll take the Ruger. Still thinking about that Stoeger or PX4. That FNX is sexy too. Dammit it's a tough call.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a special place in hell for firearms thieves. I like to think they all sit down there in hell having AD's into each other while they're compulsively cleaning loaded arms... Ahh, the daydreams...

I got an FNP 9, only ran steel case for the first 500 (and counting) rounds and nary a hiccup! Almost got the FNX, but the FNP has all the stuff I need. Fits and points great, and shoots smoothly. The DA pull is long, but consistant, and the break is crisp enough for me- not at all mushy. The SA is second to no polymer pistol I've shot yet. It's nice.

Did I mention it's pretty darn accurate, and is fun enough to make a non-sidearm shooter into somebody that enjoys it now? I got rid of a Ruger P95 to accomodate this new beauty!

I like the FN, either flavor you like, and in whatever caliber suits. I made an informed decision over the Glock 17 or 19, the S&W M&P, or the XD or XDM. I am getting a Sig next though I think... That's into the next price point though too...

ETA: Forgot to mention the only real "catch" about the FN-P or -X... Holsters. There are a few Fobus holsters and a Galco that I've not seen or read reviews for, but I don't like the looks of... There are a lot of guys on the FN forum claiming that the Blackhawk! Serpa for the SigPro 2022 fits like a glove- others saying that report is bogus... There are crossdraws and some others that look decent, but not a bunch, and there are "universal" battle holsters, like my USGI Bianchi holster that I put on my pistol belt.

Fits great. biggrin.png

Edited by bohound