need help with nj and 922r compliance!

Hi guys, I am new to guns and my first purchase was a saiga 7.62x39 carbine! I do unfortunately live in nazi germany cough cough I mean New Jersey, and I am having a hard time understanding our rediculous gun laws here. Nj law does not allow for mags over 15 rounds. I found 15 round mags made in usa that count as "3 compliance parts". Am I allowed to use these? I also would like to add the tapco t6 stock system which will add the pistol grip and I believe counts as 1 compliance part, am I allowed to? Please help me keep my gun legal and my butt out of jail! I was raised by gun hating prius loving liberals so I am clueless on all this stuff! Oh I also ordered a cheap red dot and scope mount, I am assuming those are not "evil" features?

Edited by mr2manycars

Do you posses a "License to purchase, possess or carry a machine gun or assault firearm"? You should have already obtained one in order to legally posses the "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" you purchased unless the Saiga is somehow exempted. If it is somehow exempted and if you install the tapco it appears you have created an "assault firearm" due it now having a detachable magazine and "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon."

http://www.nj-statute-info.com/getStatute.php?statute_id=2098

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

The gun laws seem unclear and difficult to interpret. Case law is apparently a mess. NJ State police don't seem to understand NJ gun laws, and neither do all NJ judges. Be extremely careful. Consider getting formal legal advice from a NJ lawyer who specializes in NJ gun law.

This assumes you can't just move to a non-insane state.

Do you posses a "License to purchase, possess or carry a machine gun or assault firearm"? You should have already obtained one in order to legally posses the "Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms" you purchased unless the Saiga is somehow exempted. If it is somehow exempted and if you install the tapco it appears you have created an "assault firearm" due it now having a detachable magazine and "A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon."

http://www.nj-statut...statute_id=2098

http://www.state.nj....title13ch54.pdf

The gun laws seem unclear and difficult to interpret. Case law is apparently a mess. NJ State police don't seem to understand NJ gun laws, and neither do all NJ judges. Be extremely careful. Consider getting formal legal advice from a NJ lawyer who specializes in NJ gun law.

This assumes you can't just move to a non-insane state.

Actually I am getting pretty clear on the nj gun laws, I am allowed to have "A rifle that accepts detatchable magazines and any one of the following: bayonet lug, pistol grip, folding stock" so the pistol grip is ok by itself. I am having a harder time understanding the 922r honestly. Does a magazine count as usa made parts? if so I just add a usa made stock and I am down to the 10 parts i need to be compliant. If i use my stock mag is that then illegal tho? The rules really are rediculous. I bought the rifle legally at a local gun store in NJ so I am sure it is legal here in sporter configuration anyway.

• 8 months later...

I live in nj and it seems like any saga, unmodified is fine. When you add the pistol grip with the tapco set for example your only adding more American parts - do still good. I did alot of research on this and what I found to be the problem with the conversion is when you modify an ak variant to accept hiccup magazines. The solution is to leave that alone. I'm

Planning on moving the trigger group, changing stock and furniture and keeping the 10 round magazine. If you look around, you'll see there are ways to build a 15 round mag which is still ok. I had some you've getting my head around the logic because we can have ARs which accept 40 round mags, we just can't have them however, merely having the 30 round capability on an AK varient is bad. I've done alot of reading but

More talking, specifically at shops here in NNJ that do sell either sagas or zastava paps.