Saiga 223/5.56 and the AR

I have recently heard of a conversion to use the AR magazines in the Saigas 223/5.56. I'm still new to the Saigas and AKs for that matter. Does anyone here have any input..pros and cons? Has anyone installed this? My reasoning is AR magazines are plentiful, while these Saiga 223/5.56 can only use Saiga 223/5.56 magazines or Surfires. I would like to install one but I need more information and personal experiences from others who have done this conversion. Thanks.

Edited by Whiskey

Thanks, this is good to hear and I am just starting to find the topics now....I had to use specific wording. Searched before and was getting random nonsense threads that did not apply. This looks like a good deal and product from what I have been reading on this site. I think this will be a necessary conversion to do when I start.

Edited by Whiskey

Thanks, this is good to hear and I am just starting to find the topics now....I had to use specific wording. Searched before and was getting random nonsense threads that did not apply. This looks like a good deal and product from what I have been reading on this site. I think this will be a necessary conversion to do when I start.

Keep in mind that you will have to modify the receiver on your Saiga and be prepared to accept FTFs . You will also have to install a bullet guide , most likely !!!

Edited by josey88

ah ok The bullet guide is something that I have not read about with this conversion. These people who have done the conversion must have left that part out or it is to be a "no-duh of course it was done" thing that I should have known. Was not being sarcastic there. "FTF" always gets me...Failure to fire or feed? Is the bullet guide going to prevent this? I have not read about this yet, but have heard about some people grinding to much away and breaking the trunnion.

Edited by Whiskey

ah ok The bullet guide is something that I have not read about with this conversion. These people who have done the conversion must have left that part out or it is to be a "no-duh of course it was done" thing that I should have known. Was not being sarcastic there. "FTF" always gets me...Failure to fire or feed? Is the bullet guide going to prevent this? I have not read about this yet, but have heard about some people grinding to much away and breaking the trunnion.

ftf = failure to feed

fte = failure to eject

failure to fire = broken gun

Keep in mind that you will have to modify the receiver on your Saiga and be prepared to accept FTFs . You will also have to install a bullet guide , most likely !!!

HMMMMMM, really???? I have over 3,500 rnds and no FTFs and I don't have a bullet guide. I have plenty of AR adapters out there and had not heard of this mass FTF issue. What AR mags are you using?

Regards,

Nathan

Whiskey,

There is no need for a bullet guide or to "prepare to accept FTFs".... I'm not even sure where that came from but am looking into his setup to offer assistance.

The AR adapters we produce put the cartridge at the same angle and height as the factory mag. The only way to have a FTF is if the AR mag has a weak spring and follower. Meaning the follower tilts. This is not an issue if you use Magpul PMags as suggested. As I have stated I have 3,500 rnds and no FTFs and this is without a bullet guide. Get a bad follower and you will have that issue with any rifle, AR or AK.

Regards,

Nathan