Conversion Question

I have a question for you saiga 7.62 X 39 shooters. Wy do you spend all this money to convert them into a assult weapon when they were designed to be sporting rifles? What is the difference between them and the AK-47.

No hard feelings intended, i was just wandering.

I have a question for you saiga 7.62 X 39 shooters.  Wy do you spend all this money to convert them into a assult weapon when they were designed to be sporting rifles? What is the difference between them and the AK-47.

No hard feelings intended, i was just wandering.

Thanks  :haha:

many here, myself included' find the converted rifle much easier and more comfortable to wield. The pistol grip makes it easier to control and the shortened legnth makes the gun more balanced. For me, the overall feel is greatly improved. Also, doing the conversion alows you to install an aftermarket FCG, as the original on most of the 7.62s is quite poor.

FOr me, its more of a question of making the rifle unique. After the conversion and customization, no one in the world has a rifle just like mine. Thats cool to me.

Its really just a question of preference. You will fnd many here who are in favor of the conversion, and some who are not. I was once one of the latter, until i did the conversion. Now i wonder why i waited so long to do it.

In the end, its all about what you want to do. have fun with it!!

-HOOP

Fullchoke,

1) The purchase price and manufacturing quality of the Saiga is second to none as a starting point for the conversion. Kreb's (a well known and repected gunsmith), who's AK rifles have been featured on the several cover of well known gun magazines, uses the Saiga as his base. This is the same reason why it is used by the folks on this site.

2) Folks like the ability to use hi-cap magazines. The conversion using USA components eliminates all the legal and gray areas of the 922r regulations regarding hi-caps and foreign components.

3) For the lack of any other reason... fun! It's one of the few guns that don't require a machine shop to modify. It's also the same reason why after-market companies exist for cars, motocycles, etc., you can make something unique with your own efforts that you can take pride in.

I personally like the basic sport configuration, I have several and they're still in the original sporting configuration. But if someone makes a bolt-on US made rear butt stock with an attached pistol grip in the future, I may convert one or two for the same reason I buy stuff for my cycle, because I can.

The thing to keep in mind is.. the Saiga rifles *ARE* bonafide "AK" rifles. Russia just can't import any firearms that are not "for sporting purposes".

The saiga's are very high quality, and well built, and priced right. For the price of a WASR or the like, you can have a converted Saiga.

If I wanted a "hunting rifle style, monte carlo stock".. I'ld just stick with the SKS's.

:killer::ph34r::chris::blues::angel::cryss::ded::devil: K Dawg, :cryss:

The WASR rifles "and like" are cheaper than converting a saiga because aren't saigas hard to find right now? you can't aford to buy factory mags. In shotgun news the wasr rifles are 279.99 and come with two 30rd magazines cleaning kit and somtimes a bayonet. You cna get a ak-47 with a American folding stock or a US T-6 stock with matching galil type hand guards and a Saw pistol grip installed for 349.95 at www.classicarms.us

I understand converting saigas is very fun but is it more accurate compared to the normal ak-47. :zorro::zorro::haha::devil::unsure::wub::smoke::sadam::osama:

Edited by fullchoke

The reason for using the SAIGA as a base, is because you get a russian receiver, russian barrell, russian trunions, and it wasn't built by Century Arms.

The saigas are often regarded as the most accurate factory AK's, and yes a saiga is an AK.

The mag mod costs $0 if you have some pipe and a screw laying around, not to mention anyone can do it.

:killer:  :ph34r:  :chris:  :blues:  :angel:  :cryss:  :ded:  :devil: K Dawg, :cryss:

I don't know what planet you are on but the WASR rifles "and like" are much cheaper than converting a saiga because saigas are hard to find and now you have to tamper with hi-cap magazines to make them chamber right.  In shotgun news the wasr rifles are 279.99 and come with two 30rd magazines cleaning kit and somtimes a bayonet.

I understand converting saigas is very fun but is it more accurate compared to the normal ak-47. :zorro:  :zorro:  :haha:  :devil:  :unsure::wub:  :smoke:  :sadam:  :osama:

LOL, do you know what are you talking about?

WASR's suck, I own one, they are junk, they function well but as far as fit/finish and overall quality they lag far behind a saiga. If your so bent out of shape about people converting their saiga's just buy a WASR and shut the hell up.

I cant DIS on my WASR, nor a buddies of mines, either... yeah the finish is lacking compared to the saiga, but both shoot 1" groups at 50M and will get 1.5" groups at 100M... so maybe we both got LUCKY... I dunno... personally, I dont care... I got a great shooter, my buddy did too... so.. they CAN BE HAD that shoot well...

:smoke:

The reason i was asking is that am am going to buy a ak-47 i was wandering if i should get a ak and customize it or stick with a saiga. Can i eaven find a saiga any more? Thats the stuff i was wandering. I am not bent out of shape about people converting their saigas. Do the magazines that are converted function reliably? thats all :osama:

You don't have to convert your magazines at all. Just follow the instructions posted here: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/step_8.htm about adding a feedramp and trim just a hair off the top of the mag catch untill an AK mag will lock in and you can then use ANY AK mags without modification to them. It really is easy. Those who have modified mags to work in their Saigas did it so they would not have to modify their rifles and they could use the factory Saiga mags (which are hard to find and expensive if you want hi caps). Here is a link to detailed instructions on mag catch modification to take AK mags: http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/step_10a.htm

Keep in mind though you will have to replace the required amount of parts with U.S. made ones in order to remain 922r compliant, no different than if you wanted to pistol grip a Mak 90.

Regular AK mags are much more plentiful and inexpensive than Saiga mags so I would rather modify my Saiga to take them. You can still modify your Saiga mags if you have some to work after the rifle conversion. If you don't like the idea of cutting your own piece of pipe to make the feedramp you can buy one already made from K Var but it will also need modification to fit right. If you're scared to drill and tap it or don't have the experience I have heard of people using other methods like JB weld or even plumbers putty. Personally I would drill and tap it AND use red loctite to be sure. Sure you can put a screw in the front of an AK mag to serve as a bullet guide or even do a few of them just for use in your Saiga but why when you could spend less than one hour and make your Saiga compatible with any AK mags. This way if you are at the range and your buddy says "here would you like to try this 75 rd drum I've already loaded?" You won't have to say "no I can't, my little Russian gun only uses special mags". :cryss:

<hint> it much easier to get info around here if you don't come off as a smart arse :haha:

WASR's suck, I own one, they are junk, they function well but as far as fit/finish and overall quality they lag far behind a saiga. If your so bent out of shape about people converting their saiga's just buy a WASR and shut the hell up.

Amen. I own one WASR-10 and six Saiga's. There is no comparison in fit, feel, finish, or function. I wouldn't trade two or even three WASRS for one of my Saigas unless I had three WASR buyers in hand. Then I would use the money to buy more Saigas. Saiga 7.62's were selling for $199 plus tax. Add high quality conversion parts and you have the $ eqivalent of a low quality Romanian WASR-10. So which would you prefer, a high quality customized semi auto AK or a mass produced low quality dime a dozen Romanian AK clone? When the Russians and EAA parted company and the Saigas ceased to be imported that began to change the $ picture. Most of us here are hopeful that a new importer will bring the rifles in at a reasonable (but likely increased) price in the not too distant future.

Wolverine :smoke:

I put a .308 20" Saiga on layway at one of the local stores but I think I made a mistake. I just got my Garand back from the shop and I am probably going to put a scope on that as my "marksman rifle". The simple lack of mags for the 308 is the breaking point for me. I am probably going to go cancel the 308 and get a 7.62x39 instead (If they are still there.) I can at least easily mod them to take regular mags, though I will just keep it in the "sporting" configuration. (I can alway's add a p grip later later.)

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $199 for my Saiga and I'll probably convert mine just for the fun of it. I already added a peep sight on the rear cover and will add the US compliance parts soon. Converting Saigas is a way to learn gunsmithing skills.

The WASR rifles I see look almost as poorly made as the Chinese commercial rifles or Egyptian ones. If you want a good Romanian AK then buy a military parts kit ahd build it. The Russian rifles are better made and I don't know why EAA stopped importing the Saigas (before I could get a shotgun) but they lost a lot of sales.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Die terrorist scum!!