Slugs... What are you guys considering acceptable accuracy?

Hey all, What kind of accuracy are you guys getting out of your Saiga 12s? Also what round and choke combo are you using?

I am struggling with a Poly Choke and the best I have gotten out of it with a reduced recoil Remington load is about 3.5 inches at 50 yards (3 shot group).

Any one have any recommendations?

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Definitely not shooting any competition here, but...

I primarily use Winchester Super X slugs without a choke, and consider all rounds inside my usual 12" shoot-n-C target, at 50-75 yards, as acceptable.

I guess my input is worth about

:2c:

Normally we are shooting at a fairly large Gong at about 80 years I uses reduced recoil tactical slugs they seem to work for me. I'm not sure what kind of groupings they provide but they seem to make the gong ring.

I shoot mod for almost everything and I've used all of the following slugs: Federal TruBall Low recoil, S&B 28, B&P Low Recoil, Fiocchi 7/8 AeroSlug, Fiocchi 1 oz low recoil, Centurion. The S&B and Federal are adequate, the B&P is very accurate but will not cycle in all guns. The Centurion is very cheap and I bought a couple of cases but gave one away because it does not cycle reliably in one of my Saigas and I will not tolerate that. Both Fiocchi loads are good but the 7/8 slug is accurate and shoots soft. I've gotten groups around 3 inches at 100 yards if I work at it. 5 inch groups are the norm. You need to get a bunch of different slug loads and shoot them to see how they work in your gun. After you find a few acceptable loads, try them at different choke setting to see which one performs the best in your gun. Then buy as many as you can afford.

Doug

For the coming pig hunt I have a bunch of Remington Sluggers and Federal Super-Slugs. I used about 20 of each to zero the scope and practice for piggies. I am able to keep it in a 6 inch circle at 60 yards and that's going to have to be good enough. I can stay in a 3 inch with the 308 Winchester Mod 100. Still undecided which to use first on this expedition.

I've found Remington 1 oz. Sluggers work best in my barrel/ choke combination for 3-gun events. I can get 3-5 inch groups bench rested and have 100% hits on a standard IPSC cardboard target at 90 yards standing. A friend recently used Winchester slugs at one match and the slug loads smoked so much we really thought Winchester was using black powder. Just my two cents, but dump that Poly-Choke as it will not contribute to slug accuracy nor give you reliable shot patterns. This is from over a year of personal experience with one and the best thing I did was have the barrel bored for a Remchoke instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found Remington 1 oz. Sluggers work best in my barrel/ choke combination for 3-gun events. I can get 3-5 inch groups bench rested and have 100% hits on a standard IPSC cardboard target at 90 yards standing. A friend recently used Winchester slugs at one match and the slug loads smoked so much we really thought Winchester was using black powder. Just my two cents, but dump that Poly-Choke as it will not contribute to slug accuracy nor give you reliable shot patterns. This is from over a year of personal experience with one and the best thing I did was have the barrel bored for a Remchoke instead.

OHHHH I hear yeah on the poly choke... unfortunately it is silver soldered on after... We shortened the barrel... yeah I screwed myself there. However as long as I set the poly choke and don't touch it I am getting 3 to 5 inch groups at 60 yards. With a Remington reduced recoil slug I can get under 3 inches. problem is it won't runt he gun on anything but gas setting 3 DAMN IT ! ! !

Anyone know where you can get a replacement barrel LOL?

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Where are you zeroing Remmington Sluggers for gun games? I'll be using a modified choke and Federal bulk packs for close up.

I normally zero at 50 yards. That way I can hit anything from 25 to 75 by putting the dot on it and I'm about 4 inches low at 100 yards.

Doug

Estimated 125-150 yards out in the desert. 2/5 hits with Federal 3" Power Shok magnum slugs (3100 lb/ft energy) bench rested on the bed of a F250.

The first shot I actually shot over the target because I was aiming over the head expecting the slug to drop. These things shoot flat!

The other 2 shots I'm not sure where they went. But, anyways, I was pumped because I was just using the Krebs front sight post with the big rear ghost ring (aperture constrictor not in).

With a scope these things are probably deadly accurate.

post-25682-0-67929900-1308160036_thumb.jpg

Where are you zeroing Remmington Sluggers for gun games? I'll be using a modified choke and Federal bulk packs for close up.

I zero at 75 yards knowing my drop at 100 yards will be minimal and not a lot of excessive rise at 50 yards or less. Having an optical dot sight helps or barring that, a set of adjustable rifle sights on your shotgun. A plain bead sight or vent rib is just helping you point the barrel in the right direction when using slugs. The Saiga shotgun can be very accurate with slugs provided you have a decent zero and ammunition.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot Winchester Hollow Point 1 oz Slugs today after firing 30 I got my optic sited in and ready for match shooting. At 50 yards it's hitting 3 inches low.

My Shotgun is almost ready for next weekend I have to tune a few mags!