SOPMOD wants a couple of 5.45s

I am wanting to get some 5.45 rifles for the kids and womenfolk.Stock forends, EG Wire Stocks, Galil Grips and AK74 FSBs. But I keep hearing obout problems with bullet guides,keyholing and other nonsense that my 7.62 and 308 guns never seem to have.

Are there teething problems with the 5.45? Is there a way to pick a good one?

I am wanting to get some 5.45 rifles for the kids and womenfolk.Stock forends, EG Wire Stocks, Galil Grips and AK74 FSBs. But I keep hearing obout problems with bullet guides,keyholing and other nonsense that my 7.62 and 308 guns never seem to have.

I wouldn't worry about the keyholing... I seem to be the only person on earth with that problem, lol. Can't speak for bullet guides as I did not install one, but from what I gather, a lot of people don't need them as the rifle functions without them, but for 100% reliability you should get one.

But I keep hearing obout problems with bullet guides,keyholing and other nonsense that my 7.62 and 308 guns never seem to have.

ODGreenThumb's unfortunate keyholing problems appear to be absolutely unique. I'm not really sure what issues you are talking about concerning bullet guides. There may be a few guys who have had issues, but it seems to be no more prevalent than similar reports with .223 and 7.62x39.

There are lots of NICE tula krink kits coming in right now.

If you find a quality barrel , you can make a high quality "AK-105".

Which would probably put him like $1000 over budget :P

SOPMOD, I have no bullet guide in either of mine, what type of "other" problems have you heard about?

I have enough AK74 trigger guards,US triggers/gas pistons and EG and Polish Wire Stocks to do 4 rifles.All I have to come up with is four 5.45 Saigas for under $400ea and I can have each member of my house blasting away with inexpensive tin can ammo for the price of one properly built Tula Krink.

Besides, my wife would bogart the 5.45 krink and I would never get to shoot it!

I can't speak for all 5.45 rifles but my SGL-31 has been an excellent rifle. The sights are not canted like some can be, but I will have to adjust the windage just a tad since it shoots about 1" to the right. That being said I was able to shoot (2) 1/4" groups with it using a POSP 4X scope at 50 yards shooting mil surp ammo.

ODGreenThumb seems to be the only one experiencing the anomaly of keyoling with a Saiga 5.45 (normally, this is what some Century 5.45 guns do), so I would not worry about this. Saiga rifles are made in the same plant that produces AK's for the Russian military, so the quality is definitely up there.

My Saiga 5.45 occasionally jammed without a bullet guide, but I installed a bullet guide from CSS, and the gun now works flawlessly. Apparently, some jam, some don't. But then again, given their inexpensive nature, I think it is inexcusable not to install a bullet guide just to be safe (there is a reason why all military style AK's have them).

Any converted Saiga 5.45 is going to be a bit crude compared to an Arsenal one, but then again, I still love the gun I have and it only cost a fraction of the price. Unless you have the money to burn for Arsenal Saiga 5.45's, I think that conversions are the best course of action. Don't waste your money on a Century AK-74 style rifle rifle of questionable quality when a Saiga conversion does not cost much more.

Edited by 7N6Wolf

I can't speak for all 5.45 rifles but my SGL-31 has been an excellent rifle. The sights are not canted like some can be, but I will have to adjust the windage just a tad since it shoots about 1" to the right. That being said I was able to shoot (2) 1/4" groups with it using a POSP 4X scope at 50 yards shooting mil surp ammo.

I bought the same SGL-31-74 rifle I put my PSOP 4-24 on it, have not shot it yet but have 750rds of Silver Bear FMJ Ammo. waiting for me to get it done.