Why wouldn't you be allowed to say that you trust Kalinka? That was his question, and you answered it. What would be wrong with that?

Anyway, I would just recommend a POSP. Easier to find, more common batteries, and basically all of the same features. You can't go wrong with either though.

PSO scopes won't fit a Saiga btw, they have an SVD clamp. As suggested you need a POSP with an AK clamp. The difference is pretty easy once you take a look, SVD mount has the locking lever on top and the AK mount has the locking lever on the bottom.

POSP's are made by Zenit/BelOMO/LEMT in Minsk Belarus. They are Belarussian not Russian (though obviously they used to be Soviet a while ago).

PSO's are made by NPZ in Novosibirsk Russia. Both companies make military and civilian optics. POSP's are basically the same as PSO's on a functional level, you and I will not be able to tell a difference in quality for example.

The general consensus is that PSO's are military issue optics (primarly for the SVD rifle) and that POSP's are civilian grade optics. Some Russians I know say they can't tell the difference in quality, meaning the POSP's might be just as good as the PSO. I don't know it for a fact I can only speculate on what I've heard. With either optic you are going to get a tough as nails reliable scope with great glass quality that costs much less than Western counterparts. PSO's are expensive because they are relatively rare.

Kalinka is GTG and they have the best price I've seen on a 4x24 POSP with Simonov reticule that has the AK mount. Simonov chevrons are calibrated for 7,62 but the turret is in MOA so you can use it with any rifle if you know your BDC's. There aren't any Russian optics I know of calibrated specifically for 223. There are no POSP's calibrated for 5.45 that I know of either, the closest is the rare and expensive Ziess ZFK 4x24.

Eastwave is another great optics distributor and you can buy with confidence. They have been around for a long time and have a fantastic rep.

You could also try a Romanian LPS/TIP2 scope and swap the base out with an AK mount. The AK mount is about 30 bucks and you can sometimes find LPS scopes for less than a hundred dollars, typically they are right around that.

PSO-1 is on top, Chinese PSO in the middle and the POSP 4x24 with Simonov reticule and AK mount on the bottom.

4x24ComparisonLeft.JPG

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently picked up a PSO-1 scope from kalinka, ordered the AK mount. However, when sliding on from the back, the metal bump hits the rear of the scope rail. Am I missing something here? Is this the right mount?

post-23219-0-85925100-1308591314_thumb.jpg

edit: or does it just not cover the rail completely?

Edited by JK919

My question is does the optic seat properly and lock up tight? If it does you're fine, the rear pin is designed to keep the optic from walking forward which is what they do under recoil.

How about some pics of left side with the optic mounted?

+1 on Kalinka exchanging it also

Z

Ok a little more searching explains it. Apparently this is the correct mount, it sits on the rifle securely, but positioned way too far to the rear. Weird. Maybe I can swap out base for the posp style. Also Krebs used to make one, but can't seem to find it on their site.

Here it is on the gun (which is an SLR-106FR btw). It's stable with the latch turned, but will go no further forward. Makes for some extremely uncomfortable angles.

post-23219-0-80505600-1308624097_thumb.jpg

Looks like this is the part I'd need:

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/accessories/for-posp/posp-ak-bottom-mount-w-black-finish-for-posp-scopes-hot-swappable-1.html

looks like Krebs made a similar mount about 10 years ago as well

http://www.cruffler.com/accessory-review-june-01.html

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I hear you about the optic sitting too far back with the NPZ's AK style clamp.

The problem is I really like the clamp and it maintains zero perfectly. I've actually been considering dremeling a channel in the rail of the gun just deep enough to allow that peg to go forward another quarter inch, but leave enough meat back there in back to make sure it doesn't upset any other optics.

I'll have to wait and see what some people think about that before attempting it. Pretty sure I wouldn't even lose my zero that way.

As far as it being uncomfortable, just get used to keeping your chin up, literally lol. Face square to the target. If you get used to it, it's really not so bad but an extra 1/4" further forward would be perfect.