If it's all about fun then the 500 might be that but the 44 mag is actually a pretty practical and useful gun. I don't know if I could say that about the 500. Get the 500 if you must but I wouldn't trade away the 44 for it.

I can't really use a 44 mag for home defence so other then blowing up lawn mower engine blocks what other things is it good for?

+1 for KT!

The .460 will allow you to shoot the 45 Long Colt which is excellent for home defense, the .454 Casull which is excellent for hunting, and the .460 which would be good bear medicine.

I have shot the .500 and it is cool, but for utility, the .460 is far better in my book.

To go back a step, getting .44 Special loads for your 629 would make a good defense setup.

I can't really use a 44 mag for home defence so other then blowing up lawn mower engine blocks what other things is it good for?

Well, for me personally it (Ruger Redhawk stainless) fits the bill as the handgun with the maximum power that I can, or want to handle comfortably, shooting accurately, and carrying around in the outdoors for four legged animal protection before I would just go with a rifle, which sometimes isn't practical. As soon as I step outside of my six foot fence I could be stepping in bear, cougar, or coyote shit and I spend a lot of time camping, kayaking, and rafting along rivers in the Northwest. I agree it's not an ideal home protection caliber.

If you've got no use for a 44 you have no use for a 500. Just sell it and get something you could use.

Yup, seems like the .44 Mag with a hair trigger that can't be controlled on a range doesn't need to be kept around. Get any decent sidearm that hasn't been fucked with to the point it won't discharge when you take a breath. :lol:

I looked at the 460 XVR and I am pretty impressed. I have a Judge so I have plenty of 45LC on hand and if I wanted to take down a tree I could get some 460.

However, there is something oddly appealing about a gun that can deliver .5 caliber projectile with 2800ft pounds of energy.

I thought about selling the 629 but I think I could get more for it if I traded up to a used 500 or a 460.

I looked at the 460 XVR and I am pretty impressed. I have a Judge so I have plenty of 45LC on hand and if I wanted to take down a tree I could get some 460.

However, there is something oddly appealing about a gun that can deliver .5 caliber projectile with 2800ft pounds of energy.

I thought about selling the 629 but I think I could get more for it if I traded up to a used 500 or a 460.

I have a .460 XVR and I like to shoot it, but there is NO way I would not give up my 629.

I would send the .44 magnum back to Smith & Wesson so they can do the trigger right this time. That is a dangerous trigger.

Can I do that? I'm the second owner of the gun? I'm going to take it to a local shop bnext week and ask them to measure the triger pull for me.

I recently got a S&W 629-5 DX Classic. It has a 6.5" barrel and a factory trigger job that is so light that I had a accidental discharge when I took a breath on my forth shot. Fortunately it was only about 2" from the 3 shot group I had already established.

I got it and some cash in trade for my Savage Rifle but I don't really have any use for the gun other then target practice.

So I have been looking at the 500s

I'm thinking I might want to trade up to one of these but I'll need some convincing.

So if you have a S&W 500 convince me that it's more fun then a 44 magnum

I would send the .44 magnum back to Smith & Wesson so they can do the trigger right this time. That is a dangerous trigger.

if it is that light,it didn't come from S&W that way someone has been messing with it. I have mine set low, it is about 2lb when fired in single action.

i almost bought one when they 1st came out. when i saw how much the rounds cost i changed my mind.

still might get one someday though, but it's not on my short list for now.