give up my Saiga 12 for Daewoo USAS-12

do you think its a smart move to trade off my S12 for a USAS12? guys, i seriously need your advise on this. i have the chance to buy a Daewoo USAS-12 (yes its legal here in the Philippines).for approximately $2,300 (with license). in comparison, i got my Saiga 12 for $1,600+.

i definitely love my saiga. its my first ever gun. but i just cant find magazines for it. i've been shooting for some time now, about 400 rounds with the stock 5-rounder. yup, that's way too much reloading, i know. and ITAR just wouldn't let me get mags from the US legally and couldn't find one locally. . so here comes this USAS12 and it comes with a 20-round drum and 1 7-rnd "banana" mag out of the box. do you think its a good trade-off?

also for the same amount of money to buy the USAS12 ($2,300) i could get a Norinco M4 with some of change for bullets already. can anyone sway me in either direction?

Id also wonder how common the USAS 12 mags are, because it would suck to move onto something else, only to still not be able to get spares.... Other then that I don't have much to say other then Ive heard second hand bad things about the USAS's reliability.... but that's about it

Edited by Desolo

honestly? no. the usas 12 has some issues that would need to be resolved. look into getting someone to send you a drum for your s12.

Edited by psl sniper

Since the USAS-12 doesn't have a gas adjustment,it only cycles high-brass (unless newer ones are different?).And,it's several pounds heavier.Also,I had the action on mine lock up completely once,from some neglect on my part (not cleaning in between shoots).That being said,if you can afford shooting only high power stuff,it's always an attention getter at the range.Honestly,the last time i shot mine,though,was right before I got my 1st. S-12!.

If you could find some more oem mags,maybe you could cut and plastic-weld them together.I believe Cobra perfected this back in the day,before aftermarket mags were available.

The USAS is worth more money, so you'd be ahead there.

It's a lot bigger and heavier, so that may be an issue for you. Personally I prefer to shoot the S12.

Not sure what "issues" psl is referring to, but Tony's runs great. I would mention that the mags/drums are crazy expensive but I guess you can't get that stuff anyway...

The USAS is worth more money, so you'd be ahead there.

It's a lot bigger and heavier, so that may be an issue for you. Personally I prefer to shoot the S12.

Not sure what "issues" psl is referring to, but Tony's runs great. I would mention that the mags/drums are crazy expensive but I guess you can't get that stuff anyway...

the "issues" i was referring to was the gas port issues. from what i understand tony opened up the gas ports similar to what you would do with a saiga. there was a big discussion on these a few months back.

Oh, I see.

I'm aware of that, but I don't think any military semi-auto will shoot a wide range of ammo without tuning.

The USAS runs great on the MIL ammo that it was designed for, just like "most" Saigas.

Oh, I see.

I'm aware of that, but I don't think any military semi-auto will shoot a wide range of ammo without tuning.

The USAS runs great on the MIL ammo that it was designed for, just like "most" Saigas.

yeah they do what hey where designed to do quite well. id really like to have one. but.. not at the sake of my s12.

also i hear the recoil is quite mild. but then you have to remember the extra weight your lugging around.

thank you guys for the wonderful inputs.

actually woke up in the middle of the night from a nightmare. in the dream, i was lugging the USAS12 and it just got heavier and heavier for some reason. i could not understand. to a point where i could not lift it anymore to shoot. thats when i woke up to a start. i got my saiga at the side of the bed and was cradling it like i hurt its feelings. good thing i was alone last night (wife was out of town), swear i must have looked funny holding my S12 like that. 021.gif

I'm keeping my Saiga. but i might end up buying the USAS too if i dont get a good deal on a Bushmaster M4 or Norinco M4.

• Like 1

Glennhmd,

One competition shooter I know, Alex Wakal used to use a USAS-12 in 3-gun matches years ago. He stated they did need high brass or heavy field loads to operate reliably and they also will wear out internal components faster than most shotguns he has used. A USAS-12 would be pretty high up on the "fun meter" to own and shoot though.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm teetering on the brink of getting the USAS12 over a bushmaster M4.

just can't scrub the thought of shooting slugs and triple "O" bucks through this bad mofo. 022.gif

just waiting for word from the supplier if they can sell me at least one extra drum and at least two extra stick mags and this is a done deal.

i'm keeping my S-12 so watch out for comparison shoot (S-12 vs USAS12) soon.

Edited by glennhmd

just can't scrub the thought of shooting slugs and triple "O" bucks through this bad mofo. 022.gif

just waiting for word from the supplier if they can sell me at least one extra drum and at least two extra stick mags and this is a done deal.

I don't even see how a Bushy fits anywhere near this equation. Get the USAS12 and forget about the Bushy. I had one, it failed (carrier key), and I GAVE it away.

I don't even see how a Bushy fits anywhere near this equation. Get the USAS12 and forget about the Bushy. I had one, it failed (carrier key), and I GAVE it away.

OK sorry for the confusion there. i was initially torn between getting an assault rifle vs a second shotgun. in this part of the world, i could get the USAS12 for about the same amount of dough as a Bushmaster M4.

i'm still waiting for assurance from the supplier that they can give me extra mags for the USAS12. got burned with my S12 purchase coz i'm still stuck with a great gun with only a SINGLE 5-rnd mag. now imagine shooting over 400 rounds using a single 5 rounder. i spend more time at the range reloading than shooting the saiga.

Well now, here's solid advice for you, even if it is me giving it: KEEP THE SAIGA-12. Assuming it is legal to have a large cap mag where your at, you might learn to pour plastic resin and MAKE your own. What a great DIY to try. Use your mag to design and carve wood parts to make them longer. Then make your mold (plenty of online tutorials here) and pour both halves of your expanded mag. Of course you may have to do the same for the follower and such. The spring is doable too, but you'll definitely have a lot to learn. That was fun for a few seconds, but seriously-did you try finding a parts supplier that would send you a build kit? I found a supplier in Arizona that sent me a 10 round, 10 mag kit that cost 108 bucks. In most states you can legally buy gun parts and that goes for unassembled mags as well. In California it is the same, including hi-cap mags. You just can't have 30 round mags put together. You can have the unassembled parts though. Maybe its the same where you are at. Where are you at? Oh wait, I see its the Phillipines. I don't know the gun laws there. If you don't know then you will need to find out. Parting advice. If you do build your own, you can use piano wire for for the spring. Just match the width of your S12 mag spring with the piana wire diameter.

OK sorry for the confusion there. i was initially torn between getting an assault rifle vs a second shotgun. in this part of the world, i could get the USAS12 for about the same amount of dough as a Bushmaster M4.

i'm still waiting for assurance from the supplier that they can give me extra mags for the USAS12. got burned with my S12 purchase coz i'm still stuck with a great gun with only a SINGLE 5-rnd mag. now imagine shooting over 400 rounds using a single 5 rounder. i spend more time at the range reloading than shooting the saiga.

Edited by jmdove

there are no capacity limits here in our country. as long as you get a license for a gun, you can have em. but its one license (and a hefty fee) per gun.

the sad thing though in this country is that the the Saiga is sort of a novelty gun and as far as my searching goes, there's no place to buy high cap mags.

thanks for the tips re: making my own S12 mags. its been playing around in my head already, just that work gets in the way of hobbies.

but now that you've detailed the materials i would need, it sounds more doable than i initially thought.