GEOAZ Custom State Arms 50 BMG Shorty ONLY 24 POUNDS and can break down to only 26 inches long.....18" barrel, adjustable bipod, adjustable stock, TITANIUM Break, fluted Barrel, Picatinny rail, Timney Trigger with Safety, KICK-EEZ recoila pad, adjustable cheek rest and stock.

pix291007755.jpg

• Like 1

Nice rifle.

State makes a good gun. Sub-MOA and the recoil is very manageable.

I have a State brake on my Ferret50. I went with a 29" barrel. 34LBS. L O U D!

Been doing research. The guy who built it was Klause Horstkamp or GEO.AZ. He passed last year and was big in the 50BMG circuit. I kinda lucked out as i got one of the last few he made. His son in law runs the business now. It was sold on behalf of widow.

still searching...

I WAS WRONG Larry Lyle BUILT GUN FOR GEO-AZ 6/5/11 REV

Edited by rogertc1

rogertc1 ,

So you are the one who got "the old turkey`s " rifle :super:

as for the action does it have the iron cross stamped on it ,hidden ? if it does then Klaus Horstkamp did make it ,if it does not then Larry Lyle made it .

i can tell it is a late model action because it does not have the separate recoil lug bolted to the face of the action and the scope rail is bolted to the top of the action unlike the early actions .

the stock and muzzle break are all Geo AZ`s work , the barrel i am not so sure about and the bi pod is most definitely Not State Arms manufacture .

It is an excellent rifle ,built like a tank and to last forever I should know because my first 50 is a Klaus built very early action that is now 32 years old ,one owner and over 500,000 rounds served . i cannot tell you how many barrels and scopes i have shot out, more than a duce and a half load of barrels and at least two dumpsters worth of dead scopes but then again 32 years is a long time :eek:

and despite the age of the design and new issue price (low $$$$) they are still match winners on a regular basis :haha: :haha

rogertc1 ,you have a Keeper there is no doubt what so ever , i would however like to know if it is Iron Cross stamped proving it was made by Klaus (He was a personal friend of mine and i miss him ,stinking black ice :ded: )

Enjoy and be safe with it :super:

Edited by belt fed frog

My research is kinda foggie. I will check for the cross. Thanks

Maybe I was wrong about Klaus? Was George Petrusich involved with State Arms guns?

GEOAZ (RIP)George Petrusich Wrote about the gun herefrom Jan 2010:

http://www.m2hb.net/m2phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2378&start=15

Sun in law put gun for sale

http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi?read=357224

I think Got it figgured out GEO-AZ George Petrusich had the 50 BMG Custom Shorty made for him by State Arms East Ridge in 2009. He passed away and his son in law Dan of Hamilton & Sons, Sodona is selling some of Georges guns for his widow.

Klaus Horstkamp died prior to George getting this gun so I am sure it is made by Larry Lyle

Edited by rogertc1

rogertc1,

The State Arms/East Ridge tells me the action was made by Larry Lyle so you will find no Iron Cross stampings anywhere .

GeoAZ had a liking for SA/ER actions so he used them in his custom builds i am inclined to believe that only the action was not made by GeoAZ ,everything but the action (and possibly the barrel) is George`s custom build of all the rest of the elements of the rifle.

It is his personal rifle (i am fair sure) i have seen enough pictures of him shooting it at several different venues over a period of years and from his estate. But George was making this special rifle form and i know that he made them to order so it is not a unique rifle ,there are a few others floating around .

George had no direct part of State Arms/ East Ridge guns , he just purchased actions from Larry no different than Watson`s Weapons who also sells SA/ER rifles but in their stock form ( same as you can order directly from SA/ER )

if you look at the State Arms site and Watson`s Weapons site you will see that the stock (Alum Tactical ),the bi pod and muzzle break are different than George`s design . George liked to work with Titanium (the muzzle break )and he altered the original Klaus fish gill muzzle break slightly .

Patriot`s Ferret has an original issue SA/ER fish gill muzzle break i know because Dave at Spider Firearms buy`s the muzzle breaks directly from Larry and puts them on his rifles .

Klaus died in 2000 in a black ice accident bringing a pickup truck load of laminated wood stocks home to the shop in Wanakee ,WI , Larry Lyle was Klaus`s apprentice and bought the company from Klaus`s widow and moved it to Bancroft ,WI and continues to manufacture Klaus`s design to this day with some small changes to Klaus`s original design (the recoil lug , scope mounting , trigger and receiver external profile , the scope mount used to be on left top corner of receiver on a 45* flat machined ,drilled and taped for either a side or over center mount )

I know of three distinct different designs Klaus produced 1( full length bolt action ), 5)Golden Eagle falling block actions )(i can account for the long action and 4 of the Golden Eagles ) and the M series action ,the first DOD certified 50 sniper action in 79-80 (i own one of 150 produced ) the current action is a derivative of the M series action , it lacks the external recoil lug and threading to fit any military issue 50 barrel (M2HB or M3 Aircraft).

The M series has seen combat action and covert action and was the only game in town until the Haskins/Iver Johnson AMAC 5100 in 85, both saw use until the other players entered in the late 80`s early 90`s the Mac Millian and Robar who are now the standard issue to sniper teams . i exclude the Barrett`s the 99 and 95 were never issued and the M82/M107 are Not sniper rifles the best i have ever seen out of them specially tuned is 1.4 MOA accuracy it is a true Anti Material rifle it just does not have the accuracy to be called a sniper rifle .

all this aside you own a very fine rifle now and at an excellent price !!!

Thank you for the history belt, much apprecited. I got that AMAC 5100 50BMG last month and wanted a shorter 50. I like the look of the new one. My Iver Johnson with its weight, size, and pine cone style supressor is a pussy cat to shoot. Reminds me of 20 Guage shotgun recoil. Almost nothing. One heck of a boom however...

They are kind of addicting. Most of the guns I have bought for my collection I never shoot. Eight firearms this year so far. 37 last , 29 the year before.

I can't seem to put 50's down. Now have to spend more money on ammo and less on guns. Which is no problem.

Roger

Edited by rogertc1

rogertc1,

The pine cone muzzle break tells me your AMAC 5100 is not a original Iver Johnson build but was manufactured by Ultimate Accuracy instead .

to get the most accuracy out of your 50`s you are going to have to reload ammo your self !!!

here is a primer on how http://www.hevanet.com/temple/

The Lee 50BMG press set is fair good and a few matches have been won with ammo loaded on one it is the least expensive press/die set available

i would also suggest that you join the FCSA.org once a member you can access the members forum and get the low down on far more information on bullets ,powder, cases and load data using current powders ,also how to tune loads for your particular rifle (no two rifles even by the same manufacturer are the same so loads have to be built to your rifle !!! ) ,information available no where else !!! I have been a member from the beginning in 85 and am a moderator there .

You do know that SA/ER rifles are offered in 4 different chambers Mil spec , Hybrid, Match and Tight Neck Match

I am not sure which chamber George`s rifle is chambered in i suspect it is Mil Spec but i am not sure , mil surplus ammo is for a .560 neck chamber (Mil Spec) , i do know your 5100 is Mil Spec chambered .

• 3 weeks later...

I was getting light strikes on all the Federal Ammo I have tons of. Had to get a new firing pin spring for my Shorty. About 3/8 inch longer.

The little shoulder fire 50 work well. A real hoot to shoot. I got it as a fun gun. Easy to carry as compared to my AMAC 1500. Recoils likke a 12GA The back blast is unbelievable.

Thanks for everyones advice and assistance.

This rifle is one of six made by the late great George Petrusich. Love the titanium supressor.

Edited by rogertc1
  • 5 years later...

I hope you're still enjoying it. I would have bought a .50 BMG a few years ago (just a bolt-action one), but I found there is no place to really shoot one within about 4 or 5 hours of SW OH.  :(

I didn't want to buy one just to be a safe-queen, but I'm not driving 4 hours to fire a dozen or so rounds, then go home again.