Hey all, was in a pawn shop when an ak caught my eye- specifaclly an .22 lr (i think, they just had it labled as .22). I was just cruising through and got distracted by a bersa and as a result didn't ask for details but it had a thumbhole stock, a shortened ejection port but apart from that looked like a typical WASR. Any idea on the value of these? it was running under 300 and I was darn tempted.

Edited by volkov

Ive heard that the shells get stuck up under the dust cover so people put regular wasr dust covers on them to prevent that. And I guess there picky with ammo too. I was trying to find one so I did quit a bit of research. They are hard to find though. If I had the opportunity to buy one for under 300 id do it. Maybe tincker with it a bit and polish the moving parts and what not. Id go for it. If you might get lucky and get a good one. Just my opinion. The ones ive seen run between 350 and 450 because they are hard to find.

WASR-22, there is a screw on the bottom of the bolt that you have to tighten to keep the extractor spring tight enough to reliably extract spent casings. Switch out the top cover it comes with for a standard AK cover.

Black Dog Machine makes 25 round mags for it. Don't polish up the bolt carrier, I changed the disconnector spring in mine with a standard AK one.

went to the store, pulled it apart, looked at the bolt and said what the shit.. direct impingment ak!?

You expected to see a gas system on a .22lr that was something other than blowback?

went to the store, pulled it apart, looked at the bolt and said what the shit.. direct impingment ak!? Bought a 1911 instead, just didn't feel like it was a real AK.

Blowback-operated. Ever seen a gas-op .22?

Yeah... I kinda did.. I hadn't really thought about it though. I just pulled off the dust cover expecting to see some sort of gas piston and was sort of suprised with what was down there.. I know it's too much to expect from a .22, but It felt like an AK, I thought when I took it apart it would look like one too.

Now I think about it I realize that's a bit of a stupid expectation.. But it just makes me want a .22 ak that much less. It's not really an AK- it's a training platform at that point

Aye, that's exactly what it is. It's pretty much the quintessential training rifle - looks and feels exactly like the real thing, uses a cheaper cartridge and the necessary operating system to cycle it. They're fun little guns.