Quick question about the POSP scopes

I am thinking of adding a scope to my converted 7.62x39. From reading the forum I see that many people recommend the AK variant POSP 4X24 scope. Is there and advantage to stepping up to the 6X42 or getting one of the 2.5-6X24 scopes for some more money. I am at the point in my life where I would rather pay a bit more to get a better optic in the end and not regret spending an extra 50 to 100 dollars. Are these optics still tough with the variable zoom (ie wont break and hold zero in a zombie apocalypse)? Thank you in advance for any input.

For 7.62x39 mm, I would stick with a 4x24 POSP. The higher mag model are MUCH heavier and bulkier. Also, the variable zoom models are indeed, not quite as reliable as the fixed ones.

I had a 6x42 POSP for my S308, but got rid of it and am now using the much lighter and more compact 4x24. If 4x24 was enough for Soviet marksmen, it's enough for me.

I happen to own and use the 8x version, and honestly, I personally wouldn't choose anything under 6x. My reasoning is that if the target is too close for a 6x, then I have my iron sights that will work perfectly for that range anyway. And yes, you are able to use iron sights with a POSP. 6x or 8x is a perfect magnification for 100 yards, as you actually see where the bullet hits and you get good detail of what's there.

When it comes down to it, though, it's all preference. I like seeing my target much more detailed at 100 yds and am okay with using my irons up close. Other people use their POSP as a solution for all of their ranges, much like an American ACOG. I'd rather have a sniper scope personally, but of course, it is up to you.

I wouldn't spend the extra cash on a 6x, to me those have always been in kind of a useless magnification range. I think the 8x42's are overkill on an AK and I don't use one on my NDM86 either, though I tried one for a year I ended up ditching it because in the real world the FOV at 8X just wasn't practical for me.

For plinking I think the 8x42 would be fine especially if you were for some reason trying for group size from the bench. I like the 8x42 and have always had great luck with mine but I don't really find them useful in any kind of off the bench situation, even hunting hogs in Texas I feel like they are too much. That being said I picked up another for about $150 from a private seller so sometimes you can get a really good deal which makes them worth it IMO

Variable power is interesting but I haven't taken the plunge. For one thing I prefer 4x or lower and don't really see the need for a 2.5-5x for example. I can't verify if changing the magnification changes POI...they have that possibility but the only one that I know for sure that changes POI is the 1P21 and that's because the magnification is coupled to the BDC. A fellow collector has the PSO 3-9x and is very impressed with it, based on his opinion I would be ok with dropping the $400ish because it sounds like it's as high quality as the rest of the PSO series.

I guess it depends on what you really want...just a plinking optic or an all around can-do scope. It's easy to spend $400 or more on good 5.45x39 optics, you can do the same with a little investigation for 7.62 also but it doesn't make sense to spend that much if it's just for plinking. I'm a big fan of collecting Russian optics but I don't recommend exotic stuff unless you have a solid use for it. The POSP 4x24 is a tough workhorse and that's why people who know what they are recommend them so often. Hard to beat the price for what you get.

Z

More magnification is unnecessary unless you're a bench rest shooter.

4x is the perfect balance between image stability and precision. 6x with the same sized objective is going to have a darker sight picture, and be much more awkward to use while standing.

4x is very comfortable to shoot small targets off at 100 yards while standing. I think 2.5x would be better suited on a 7.62x39 personally. But that might not be an option for you, so go with a 4x POSP. Variable power gets annoying in real field use, and you'll end up just leaving it set to a magnification level you like. For a lot less weight and KISS, fixed power is the only way to go.

If you can get used to the scope sitting a little further back and a little less comfortable eye relief, the NPZ PO 4x24 is a decent step up from the POSP for not that much extra money. The marks on the scope are a little bolder, the mount is a little easier to use, and the turrets have teathered caps. I would like to eventually find a way to move mine forward about a quarter inch without screwing up how well the scope holds zero.

From your post I'd say the NPZ PO4x24-1 would be the perfect optic for you, at $350.

I spent a lot of my last range outing at 120 yards spotting shots for my friends while letting my barrel cool down. If I can tell where their bullet impacted within an inch at that range, I don't see how higher magnification is going to be any aid. The reticle design of these scopes do not lend themselves well to absolute precision like a duplex does. They just put the bullet on what you're shooting at, and make it simple.

Edited by Tombs

I recently acquired a 6x42 POSP "B", (it has the extendable sun shade and "tethered" front lens cover), along with a S-308. A 4x model would be more than enough for x39, but for .308 I like the 6x magnification, it's useful at any range >25 yrds. However, eye relief can be an issue with these scopes and in order to use the rubber eyepiece, I have to remove my glasses. When I do so, I can see the target just fine, but I can't make out the reticle very well.

So, I need to learn to use the scope without the eyepiece, get some contacts, (may or may not work), or buy one of the POSP "D" models with adjustable focus. If I were to buy one of those, I'd be tempted to get one with variable magnification and maybe a mil-dot reticle too. Something like this.

Get lasik, seems expensive, but it's not as expensive as glasses after about 10 years. And certainly not even as close to as expensive as contacts.

I had mine done in 2008, and it was the best money I've ever spent. Went from not being able to read the E on an eye chart to having 20/15 normally and 20/13 on a good day. The day after having it done it felt like the world was in imax 3d.

Cost of building a rifle, plus a couple optics will pay for it. Highly recommend it, especially if you enjoy shooting. Don't believe the stories of mishaps and other BS people come up with, you can't go blind. In fact when your eye is cut open, you can still see good enough to make out people's faces.

Edited by Tombs

I recently acquired a 6x42 POSP "B", (it has the extendable sun shade and "tethered" front lens cover), along with a S-308. A 4x model would be more than enough for x39, but for .308 I like the 6x magnification, it's useful at any range >25 yrds. However, eye relief can be an issue with these scopes and in order to use the rubber eyepiece, I have to remove my glasses. When I do so, I can see the target just fine, but I can't make out the reticle very well.

So, I need to learn to use the scope without the eyepiece, get some contacts, (may or may not work), or buy one of the POSP "D" models with adjustable focus. If I were to buy one of those, I'd be tempted to get one with variable magnification and maybe a mil-dot reticle too. Something like this.

I don't find the eye piece to be at all necessary, once you find a stock which gives you a nice cheek-weld and get used to the eye relief. All of the high/adjustable magnification POSP scopes are too heavy and bulky for me. Not to mention, I have seen adjustable mag ones break. It's better to just use a 4x24 POSP and learn how to shoot like a Soviet marksmen, IMO. The view angle is better and target acquisition is quicker too.

I don't find the eye piece to be at all necessary, once you find a stock which gives you a nice cheek-weld and get used to the eye relief. All of the high/adjustable magnification POSP scopes are too heavy and bulky for me. Not to mention, I have seen adjustable mag ones break. It's better to just use a 4x24 POSP and learn how to shoot like a Soviet marksmen, IMO. The view angle is better and target acquisition is quicker too.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to see what kind of cheek weld I can get with this scope and the Magpul CTR stock I'm ordering for the rifle. For now, I have bigger problems: I just changed the batteries in this POSP, and the reticle still won't light up. I had just assumed that it came with dead batteries till today, when I finally remembered to try some fresh ones. Still no joy.. may have a broken optic here. :(

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to see what kind of cheek weld I can get with this scope and the Magpul CTR stock I'm ordering for the rifle. For now, I have bigger problems: I just changed the batteries in this POSP, and the reticle still won't light up. I had just assumed that it came with dead batteries till today, when I finally remembered to try some fresh ones. Still no joy.. may have a broken optic here. :(

Meh, don't worry about it. I'm sure that the red reticule isn't the only reason you bought it ;)

The reticule on my 4x scope is very dim compared to the one on my 8x. The 4x is almost invisible in most light conditions, glowing more like hot steel than the incandescent red on the 8x.

It could be that the bulb is burned out or some other connection is loose or broken. If you have a multimeter, checking for continuity across the whole circuit from the battery port would be a start. If there's no continuity, checking at some of the components would be a good way to narrow down the problem in the event you need to seek service from the vendor.

Edited by DrThunder88

PSO's can be finicky with batteries and bulbs. First off it's easy to keep putting the batteries in backwards...I'm glad I've been doing this for a while because eventually I realized that.

Secondly the bulb can be the culprit without it being burned out. I have a PSO-1 that I had to crank the bulb in way past finger tight. After using a pair of pliers to tighten it, it works great everytime now. Kalinka has bulbs just order a few things at the same time to avoid the high shipping charges.

Z

• 7 months later...

I'm bringing this back from the dead because I decided to try something with my NPZ PO 4x24.

I bought one of the POSP AK mounts, and switched the mount on my PO over to the POSP AK mount.

It works perfectly! Now I can use my irons, and my scope sits about 2" further forward. I installed it while half asleep after just getting out of bed, if that gives you any idea on how easy it is to swap mounts. I still need to pin it eventually but I figure I can get some headless allen screws then drill and tap the holes for them and have an even better set up than regular pins. Since it's all softer metals, it should be pretty easy to tap with my crappy taps.

The factory NPZ AK base seems to be exclusively intended for use on unconverted saigas.

It's by no means an "AK mount" as kalinka calls it.

I'll throw the pics in as well.

Factory NPZ AK mount, supposedly: I think they should call it the saiga sporter mount, since that's what it's intended for.

MAhAV.jpg

AK mount:

hs5Uz.jpg

A cheek piece would certainly be nice now, shame that there isn't an SVD style skeleton stock for converted saigas, like the ishmash one for unconverted saigas. That would be the jewel in the crown of my set up if it existed.

I wonder if one of the PSL stocks could be modified to work.

Edited by Tombs

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to see what kind of cheek weld I can get with this scope and the Magpul CTR stock I'm ordering for the rifle. For now, I have bigger problems: I just changed the batteries in this POSP, and the reticle still won't light up. I had just assumed that it came with dead batteries till today, when I finally remembered to try some fresh ones. Still no joy.. may have a broken optic here. sad.gif

Realizing this is an old thread.... I have an 8x POSP that wouldn't light up initially. Tried new batteries, a new bulb, etc... It turned out that the spring under the battery wasn't strong enough and the battery wasn't making good contact. I made a spacer out of sheet metal and placed it under the battery, and it worked after that.

On a similar note - I bought an LPS tip2 4x6 (Romanian version of the 4x24 PSO that came with many PSLs) and reilluminated it with the guts from a cheap red dot. While I can't take credit for the idea, it works pretty well.

http://9x18.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=262

I poached the idea from this guy: http://www.akfiles.org/forums/showthread.php?p=831534