Colorado Saigas

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I live in Denver as well and just ordered a 5.45 and .308 sporter that I plan to convert myself. I have tried to find good local resources for these weapons but the only place I can find is 5280 armory, and apparently you need to know some secret handshake there to not be treated like an asshole :P Oh well, Prices were better online anyway and now I don't have to pay tax ;)

I live in Denver as well and just ordered a 5.45 and .308 sporter that I plan to convert myself. I have tried to find good local resources for these weapons but the only place I can find is 5280 armory, and apparently you need to know some secret handshake there to not be treated like an asshole tongue.png Oh well, Prices were better online anyway and now I don't have to pay tax wink.png

I go to Denver Guns and Ammo. They helped me with my 5.45 conversion. Talk to Joe, he does alot of saiga conversions and has a nice collection himself. They're on the SW side of town. They have the BEST price in town on 5.45 ammo (sardine can). Plus Joe's cool to talk to, knows alot about saigas. Good prices on guns too.

I agree with you on 5280 armory. What's up with the attitudes at our local gun shops.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Denver as well and just ordered a 5.45 and .308 sporter that I plan to convert myself. I have tried to find good local resources for these weapons but the only place I can find is 5280 armory, and apparently you need to know some secret handshake there to not be treated like an asshole tongue.png Oh well, Prices were better online anyway and now I don't have to pay tax wink.png

I go to Denver Guns and Ammo. They helped me with my 5.45 conversion. Talk to Joe, he does alot of saiga conversions and has a nice collection himself. They're on the SW side of town. They have the BEST price in town on 5.45 ammo (sardine can). Plus Joe's cool to talk to, knows alot about saigas. Good prices on guns too.

I agree with you on 5280 armory. What's up with the attitudes at our local gun shops.

Yep I noticed the same thing. I'm in Arvada 10 minutes from 5280. One visit was enough for me. They acted like they were doing me a favor to take my money so they didn't get any from me.

I'm in Loveland near Fort Collins. Can't say I've had a problem with gun stores as taxes piss me off and pawn shops are always happy to receive from gun broker. cologunmarket.com rocks everything i've ever wanted in a person to person sales forum. Any members of Northern Colorado Rod and Gun Club or go to their events like defensive handgun or steel challenge or IDPA?

COLOGUNMARKET.COM just gotta plug Rocky Mountain Gun Owners and that awesome resource.

Born and raised Colorado boy, and love the Kalashnikov platform. Member at the Pawnee Sportsmans Center, a great place to shoot if you like being able to run movement drills and longer range stuff, and the emptiest dang shooting range ever. Never ever seen a crowd. 5280 has been a different experience for me, so much so that my parents are buying there now. Hell, the guys there spent probably three hours with her, going over at least a dozen pistols as she shopped for her ccw piece at the age of 66. As a disclaimer, my wife and I have been loyal customers and fans since before there was an actual shop, back when they were the only decent AK guys in town... We are both up for shooting anytime, she has a WASR-10, plain jane AK, no miss except a Nikon VSR red-dot, I have a fairly tricked out Arsenal/Saiga, quad-rails, fore-grip, Vortex red-dot, blah blah blah. Love to shoot, love to practice and learn practical/tactical shooting, and are headed to Texas this spring for a feral hog eradication hunt. Glad to be here on the board,looking forward to meeting other shooters...

Agreed...whats up with that place? I went in there recently and I thought it was just me. I almost spent the $429 he wanted for a stock saiga .223, but after getting a pissy lecture from the owner when I mentioned the online prices of saigas, I just walked out. I will never go there again or recommend them to anyone. I probably saved $100 by getting it online from Classic Arms. I had it transferred at The Shootist in Englewood. They are great people down there, but it cost me $35. Anybody know anywhere cheaper to do an FFL transfer in the Denver area? The reason I ask, is I plan on doing another conversion in a different caliber while these things are still $300.

Also, where do you guys shoot around Denver? I have a friend in Brighton that lets me shoot on his land, but would like to find some public land somewhere to shoot so that I don't have to bug him whenever I want to get out.

Alright! Finally some action on this thread with Colorado folks. I was hoping there wasen't only 3 AK owners in town. I am always down for shootin s**t up. My buddy and I found a great place about 1 hour from denver. Shooting targets get boring after a while so we bring up a new thing to shoot everytime. Last thing I brought was my POS hot water heater that made a mess of by basement... It learned it's lesson. What a blast! It's a great place to go either for a quick after work stress relief, or i like to make a weekend out of it and bring the old lady and dog and camp near by.

I have the 5.45 so blasting 1000 rounds is no problem for me. My buddy has a AR15 so he's not so lucky in cheap ammo. We usually have a few of us up there and all of our toys. I'm currently working on my 12 ga conversion. It's going to be one bad ass MF. Can't wait to blow up my old tube TV with it.

After the holliday, I would like to get a group of us together and go BLASTIN!! Stay tuned.

• 1 month later...

Add me to the list for another CO shooter. Waiting for my brand new Saiga 12 to show up any day now so I can begin the conversion myself. Nate if you're still looking for someone for FFL transfers or even ordering firearms here in Denver let me know. My buddy and I are starting up our own business and have an FFL and do transfers for $20, give us a call at 720-306-1911 for quotes on firearms or accessories.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to go BLASTIN! Me and a couple of buddies are going up next Saturday 1/21.

Meeting place: 11:00am @ hwy 285 and Pine Junction (first stop light on 285). Meet in gas station/market parking lot NE of intersection. I'll be in a gray toyota tundra. I'll be there till 11:30, then we're out.

Bring whatever you want to shoot, and to shoot at. Also trash bags

Reply if you want to go so i know how many people to wait for.

GO BRONCOS!

Wish I could go shooting with ya on the 21st, but I'll be in vegas for the shot show. The weather is supposed to be perfect here too get out and shoot.

I try to get out once a month, more if weather permits. I'll post when I go out next. Have fun in vegas.

I'm in the Pike National Forrest, west of Colorado Springs. My three favorites to shoot are Saiga 12, CVA .50 muzzle Loader and my Colt 1911A1.

We'll be in Pike National forrest also, just north of you. If you want to meet in between we can probably work something out.

Time to go BLASTIN! Me and a couple of buddies are going up next Saturday 1/21.

Meeting place: 11:00am @ hwy 285 and Pine Junction (first stop light on 285). Meet in gas station/market parking lot NE of intersection. I'll be in a gray toyota tundra. I'll be there till 11:30, then we're out.

Bring whatever you want to shoot, and to shoot at. Also trash bags

Reply if you want to go so i know how many people to wait for.

GO BRONCOS!

Thanks for the invite LocoToro wish I could go. I will be working weekends for the next two or three weeks then will be done with that for a while. It would be fun to meet up and do some shooting. Let us know next time plan on going. thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I am going to get a reloader, am interested in how you decided on the MEC...Also, I have a contact that's ex-military, gives the CCW class and also trains on reloading. Hit me up if you want his info.

I'm located in Arvada....

Just purchased a Legion Saiga 12 Model 040 and waiting on my conversion parts from CSS

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Denver right now, have family in Castle Rock and Palmer Lake.

Guns: S308, Glock 23, and Sig 522.

I grew up in Douglas County and still consider it my backyard...Rampart Range will always be my sanctuary. I ride my WR450 and KLR650 up there 3 season a year.

To shoot in the summer, spring, and fall, I take HWY 85 to HWY 67, then take Rampart Range Road south 25 miles to FR-325. There's a big open area with a large open (unofficial) parking lot just north of the intersection with 325A. Here's the general location: http://goo.gl/maps/pg2Ky Note that it's illegal to shoot within the Douglas County portion of Rampart Range which is Rampart Range Road mm 0-22 (mile marker 0 is Rampart Range Road and HWY 67), but going south you eventually get into Teller County just before FR-325.

During the winter you can't approach that area from the north because Rampart Range Road within Douglas County is usually closed Nov 1-April 1. It's easier to go to Rainbow Falls which is easily to find on Google...you can get there by either taking HWY 85 or 285 to HWY 67 and then taking that all the way to Rainbow Falls OR taking I-25 south to HWY-24 and going through Woodland Park to get to the south end of HWY-67. You can also access FR-325 this way, by going through Colorado Springs and Woodland Park instead of through Sedalia and/or Deckers.

Both trips are about 1.5-2 hour drives from Denver but well worth the freedom to shoot how you see fit and enjoy the great outdoors otherwise.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Colorado, a western U.S. state, has a diverse landscape of arid desert, river canyons and snow-covered Rocky Mountains, which are partly protected by Rocky Mountain National Park. Elsewhere, Mesa Verde National Park features Ancestral Puebloan cliff dwellings. Perched a mile above sea level, Denver, Colorado’s capital and largest city, features a vibrant downtown area.