does anyone here have one or used one at one piont? been thinking of picking one up and was wondering if there is anything that i should know before i make the purchase. any potential issues?

I think they are pricey and that's the only reason I haven't bought one to try out.

I've had a hard time finding decent reviews but I have seen a few small comments that they work as advertised, just don't expect Gen III image quality. My impression is that they might be as good as the Afghan era NSPU/1PN34 which is actually pretty nice out to 400m under the right conditions. It's possible the NVRS is just as good but again I wouldn't expect something high end and for the money I'm not really sure about them. If they were in the $300 range I'd probably already have one but all the ones I see are $700+ which is too risky for me.

Wish I knew more...these have been on my radar for a few years.

Speaking of 1PN34's if you don't mind the 6 pound weight they are pretty damn nice, there are several on GunBroker that have the AA battery modification done. Mine has been really great and for hunting or range plinking they are fine. I wouldn't want to haul one around on my service rifle but I'm not in combat so I don't have to. Something to think about anyway, you can get them for around $300 with a little searching.

NSPU-SGL3161polyNSPULeft.JPG

Z

• Like 1

thanks for the reply. i havent been able to find much feedback on one as well. been wanting one for a while though. the cheapest ive seen is for just over 600 and thats kinda steep considering i havent read much feedback. i wouldnt expect the same quality as a gen 3. not for the price. and as far as range, i dont really think there will be many instances where i will get to be able to reach out past 250 yds. not in these mountains anyway. so im not too worried about the range. i think i may just end up picking one up in the next few weeks and finally be able to do some night exercises with my sgl.

i also priced some others in the gen 2 and 3 range and when i seen the price i said forget it. if i get it ill let you know how it goes.

If you talking about a yukon style 2.5x50 gen, the specs they give are pretty much on. 200 yards in the right conditions, 75 yards with IR on in bad conditions. I would not pay anywhere near 600. picked mine up on gunbroker for 200 shipped with a 2 week no questions asked return policy.

Watch GB and ebay, but what ever you wind up getting make sure there is a good return policy. also, learning a bit about NV and issues they have will allow you to ask the right questions.

this is what i was looking at.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/night-vision/rifle-scopes/nvrs-2-5x50-black-tactical-titanium-russian-night-vision-scope-w-tactical-side-rails-weaver-version.html

havent looked at the yukon one yet. are they the same? i thought that Sibir made yukon scopes. could be wrong though.

Im no expert by any means, but during my searching is seems they all are basically the same as far specs go.

Example, this is the one I have. If you find better pics of mine and compare the one at kalinka, you will see they share some of the same parts just mine was imported years and years ago.

http://www.nvscopes.com/night%20vision%20scope%20Gen1%20s2550.html

IMO they are the same, just your paying a shit ton more. And yours should have a guarantee against DOA, but I dont think they can offer any type of repair service for it.. My advise is to watch ebay for one around 200 to 250 area with a good return policy. Or, for the 600 you were thinking of spending watch for a 2nd gen from atn. Slightly better performance with a much longer tube life and they should beable to repair in case of a failure.

Edited by veprk
  • 2 weeks later...

does anyone here have one or used one at one piont? been thinking of picking one up and was wondering if there is anything that i should know before i make the purchase. any potential issues?

If you're asking if Yukon makes good products, they do. It will be well made, and if properly cared for will last as long as any Gen1 device. If you have no experience with NV and want something to tinker with - it is a reasonable entry level device.

If you have a real USE for the device, you are going to wear out the tube. The price for replacing a tube every few years and getting the scope re-gas sealed quickly offsets the price difference between Gen1 and Gen2, especially considering that Gen2 lasts longer and has better image quality.

If you factor in the new hi-lux digital NV devices, which never need tube replacement, have Gen2 image quality and work in daylight and darkness, there is no reason at all to buy Gen1... unless you just want a neat gadget to play with and are on a tight budget.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that..

But, I would urge you to think strongly on the matter. If you can afford a $500 or $600 purchase for a toy, it might make sense to maybe go on an ammo budget for awhile and get something like the Pulsar Digisight. Better image quality, is useful in more circumstances, and will have a higher fun factor for most folks.

Edited by sickness

i got to use the PVS-4 starlight when i was in the military, but that seems like eons ago, and havent used any NV since. ill mainly be using the device against coyotes. they're getting a little out of hand here. id like to keep the maintenance to a minimum while still having something that will hold up and not fail that easy. i appreciate the feedback.

i got to use the PVS-4 starlight when i was in the military, but that seems like eons ago, and havent used any NV since. ill mainly be using the device against coyotes. they're getting a little out of hand here. id like to keep the maintenance to a minimum while still having something that will hold up and not fail that easy. i appreciate the feedback.

I like the PVS-4. Heavy beast, but I love her. Google "What a Country" "Night vision" and you'll find a vendor that sells some good milsurp NV stuff. Currently has PVS-2 and PVS-4's up for sale, if you're interested. The only connection I have to them is as a happy customer.

I've heard apocryphal reports about coyotes in areas where NV use among hunters is common learning to see and avoid the IR illumination. Most illuminators you'll find with Gen1 NV cast a very visible (even to our eyes) red glow. Looking directly at an illuminator in darkness, I can pick up the red spot at 30 to 40 meters easily without even letting my eyes dark adapt. Animals will see you even further out, naturally. Don't look directly into your illuminator at close range though. The IR can damage your eyes. Set it up at a distance if you want to take a look.

So, you can get a Gen1 device and a GOOD illuminator (950 - 1000 nm light, and you'll want to fit it with some sort of honeycomb or screen if it doesn't have one already), or go Gen2. Such an illuminator will typically run ya another $100 - $150, if not more.

Personally, if I were you I'd pinch pennies and just buy a Gen2.

If $500ish was my limit, I'd probably buy a PVS-2.. I'm good with electronics though, and don't have much need for a warranty on this stuff. If thats a concern, I'd buy the Yukon.

Let us know how those coyotes fare! :)

Edited by sickness

IMO they are the same, just your paying a shit ton more. And yours should have a guarantee against DOA, but I dont think they can offer any type of repair service for it.. My advise is to watch ebay for one around 200 to 250 area with a good return policy. Or, for the 600 you were thinking of spending watch for a 2nd gen from atn. Slightly better performance with a much longer tube life and they should beable to repair in case of a failure.

I've had nothing but problems with ATN. Their tubes are good, but their high voltage circuitry sucks and they are dangerous in the rain. I won't use ones that haven't had their circuitry fully potted in epoxy. That makes repair impossible, though.. so when the HV stuff starts to buzz, you're stuck with it.

If coyotes can see IR in the dark I'd suggest the NSPU again...half or less the price of anything else out there and it's completely passive with no emitter at all. Peformance is good out to 400m depending on ambient conditions and you can also use it during the day because of the adjustable filter cap. For less than $400 I think it will be really hard to find a scope with better performance, or really find a NV scope at all in that price range. Like I said I wouldn't want to hump one around afghanistan hunting Mujahadin but for hunting coyotes the weight won't be a factor.

BTW good discussion...the Pulsar Digisight looks really interesting, thanks for the info :beer:

Z

Edited by TX-Zen

BTW good discussion...the Pulsar Digisight looks really interesting, thanks for the info :beer:

The Pulsar is a pretty neat product. I don't own one, but a buddy of mine does and I have a fair amount of time on his rifle. The great thing about it is that it is useful with no changes through daylight and darkness; bright light won't harm it. It takes just a fraction of a second for the CCD to adjust between complete darkness and bright light. The digital reticle is sweet too.. you can upload custom reticles easily, and can store settings for POI changes with different rounds/calibers/distances or whatever. Very nice.

I just wish they had the foresight to put the picatinny mount on the other side, so that the circuitry was on top rather than on the bottom. That way it wouldn't require such a large comb height. It eats up batteries pretty easily too.

It is tip-top on his AR.. I keep urging him to set it up on his PSL, but he is worried that it might not handle the 54R for very long. Actually, let me rephrase that.. he is worried that he won't be able to handle his wife's rage if it breaks, and he bought it for the AR to begin with .. so it isn't worth it to him to run the risk.

I see something like it in my future, but for now I'm happy with my Gen2 stuff - and like all digital devices, future revisions will be orders of magnitude better.. so I'm holding out until something of mine goes belly up and isn't worth repairing..

Elcan is making a digital scope these days too .. but it uses an ordinary sensitivity CCD, and isn't suited to NV without a SERIOUS illuminator. It uses a color CCD, which is a plus for daylight, and has some better features with regards to recording and video out and stuff like that. Sony has recently made some great strides with high sensitivity color CCDs which would be awesome for a digital scope. In the next 5-7 years, the new generation of tech savvy shooters will come of age, and this market should really open up...

Now if only microbolometers would come down in price.. I'd love to get into a thermal scope. I like my odds against zombies, but evening up the odds against the Predator? Thats the cats ass.

I like the PVS-4. Heavy beast, but I love her. Google "What a Country" "Night vision" and you'll find a vendor that sells some good milsurp NV stuff. Currently has PVS-2 and PVS-4's up for sale, if you're interested. The only connection I have to them is as a happy customer.

I've heard apocryphal reports about coyotes in areas where NV use among hunters is common learning to see and avoid the IR illumination. Most illuminators you'll find with Gen1 NV cast a very visible (even to our eyes) red glow. Looking directly at an illuminator in darkness, I can pick up the red spot at 30 to 40 meters easily without even letting my eyes dark adapt. Animals will see you even further out, naturally. Don't look directly into your illuminator at close range though. The IR can damage your eyes. Set it up at a distance if you want to take a look.

So, you can get a Gen1 device and a GOOD illuminator (950 - 1000 nm light, and you'll want to fit it with some sort of honeycomb or screen if it doesn't have one already), or go Gen2. Such an illuminator will typically run ya another $100 - $150, if not more.

Personally, if I were you I'd pinch pennies and just buy a Gen2.

If $500ish was my limit, I'd probably buy a PVS-2.. I'm good with electronics though, and don't have much need for a warranty on this stuff. If thats a concern, I'd buy the Yukon.

Let us know how those coyotes fare! :)

thanks man.

If coyotes can see IR in the dark I'd suggest the NSPU again...half or less the price of anything else out there and it's completely passive with no emitter at all. Peformance is good out to 400m depending on ambient conditions and you can also use it during the day because of the adjustable filter cap. For less than $400 I think it will be really hard to find a scope with better performance, or really find a NV scope at all in that price range. Like I said I wouldn't want to hump one around afghanistan hunting Mujahadin but for hunting coyotes the weight won't be a factor.

Z

thanks man. im takind a lot of things into consideration. ive been going to gun shows in the area to see if any dealers there may have something i can get my hands on prior to making up my mind. plus my wallet will need a small amount of time to bulk up for the purchase.

Now if only microbolometers would come down in price.. I'd love to get into a thermal scope. I like my odds against zombies, but evening up the odds against the Predator? Thats the cats ass.

id be happy with the predator camoflauge.

i did look into some of the atn thermal optics but the price was way to far out of my league. that optic would suit more than just hunting varmint but also as a very good defensive tool. especially if the shit hits the fan. id be curious to see how it would fair here in the east TN mountains. im about 6 miles outside the smoky mountain NP and in the summer the vegitation gets pretty damn thick.

• 1 month later...

Went to a gunshow here in Houston and for the first time I saw a dealer who carried these and got to look through one. I was really impressed to be honest. Inside the convention hall it was really bright and the view through the optic was crystal clear and pretty much the same as the naked eye except green.

I've read that with the 2.5x50 you can see blades of grass at 100 yards and the vendor lady agreed, she also said that at night in good conditions you can see a loooong way. After looking through it I'm inclinded to think all I've heard might be true and the optic might be worth a try.

The disappointing thing for me was the NVRS they sold didn't have a built in side rail, it was picatinny QD. They didn't seem to be familiar with side rail versions at all and the box labelling didn't say anything about Yukon in Russia, actually it seemed like they were reselling from a US company and were not connected to Yukon themselves. They did know the scope was built in Russia but didn't make a connection with Yukon, I guess they were trying to make the point that all sales and warranty work was handled out of Texas which will probably be more attractive to most people than thinking they have to deal with Russia directly for returns etc.

So I'm still not sure about the typical $700+ online pricetag for these but after all these years I'm glad I got the chance to fool around with one. It really was a lot nicer than I expected.

eta: Also not super thrilled about the simple red cross hair reticule but thats a personal preference. It just looks odd against the green background.

This is the version I saw at the gunshow:

Best-Offer-Yukon-Nvrs-Titanium-25X50-Varmint-Hunter-Night_41t%2Be2UWFyL._450_414.jpg

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a Yukon, which was a good deal for the money, more practical than the Gen 1 soviet stuff, which is like mounting a scythe blade to your rifle, you gotta handle one to appreciate the size.

Jumped to G3, with a PVS-7, and it is PHENOMENAL, it truly brought the "We own the dark" comments by our military into my understanding, found a CORSAK IR laser, and there is abolutely NOTHING to equal the IR laser with the 3G goggles, if I had the coin, I would have went for a PVS14 model as well, because it would be even more superior for weapon use as you can look directly down it, where the goggles have other uses such a vehicular, which I don't believe the 14's would as a mono tube, mono eye product.

Don't save to jump to Gen 2, save to Jump to Gen 3, It IS worth the extra cost, and since its mil spec, virtually every component should be available for years, just as the PVS2's have lasted FAR beyond their expected life span, so will this stuff.

And, also if you must jump to G2, the PVS 5 goggles are not a bad choice either, I have them going for 800 bucks complete and working on Egay.

In any case, the use of the IR laser, with a weapon, and a goggle set up, is the SHIZNIT, unless you are afraid the coyotes are wearing NV of their own.

Edited by Mr Mivet