Went to a small gun show at the national guard armory. Walked around for a bit checking for ammo then I spoted the RFB ....and no one was even standing around or hovering over it. I quickly walked over and picked it up. Price tag said $1499 NEW! So as Im looking it over I flip it upside down to look into the magwell, stick my finger in (bolt was closed) and notice it a little dirty but not bad. I know the tag said NEW but since this is a hard to find, seldom seen rifle I figure one of the vendor employees must have put a few rounds through it just to see what its like. No biggy! I then flip it back and grab the charging handle to open the bolt and look inside. As I do this the employee at that table walk over and tells me to buy it or put it down, don't play with it. Im not sure if I would have bought it since I was trying to find a reason not to but chances are I would have. However if I can't inspect the product first..... I told him you just lost a sale. I was the only one to look at it the rest of the day! Total time spent inspecting the rifle, about 30-60 seconds before I was told to basically piss off!

Edited by Arik

I've been watching the RFB myself and think it's a sexy rifle. Keltech said they were planning for a .223 variant. That is actually what I'm waiting for. I know $1000-$1500 for a .223 is a lot but something about it makes me like the idea.

It's a nice novelty item, but I wouldn't trust it for fighting purposes. Also, there have been some reports of problematic ejection, so it could be that that one was priced low because it was one of the lemons. Maybe the rude salesman did you a favor.

I would have had a choice word or two for that jackass salesman.

As far as some of the new rifles out still being in the sucker price range, I agree. I've had my eye on several different rifles released in the last year or two, and keep waiting for the price to level off, but haven't seen it yet.

I like the new Ruger 556E, which is supposed to be about $500 cheaper than the other 556 models, but on Gunbroker it seems to be only $200 cheaper, and it's hard to find at all anywhere else...

Edited by Jpanzer

To bad that guy was such a douche to you, certainly not a good salesman. I pick mine up on Wednesday and will do a review when I get it. And yes for once I will actually take pictures (someone else will, YARP no understandy technology).

It's a nice novelty item, but I wouldn't trust it for fighting purposes. Also, there have been some reports of problematic ejection, so it could be that that one was priced low because it was one of the lemons. Maybe the rude salesman did you a favor.

I'm an AK man. And I love that you could essentially beat the guy on your right to death with brass. So when I see spent cases gingerly tumbling from that bullpup like a deer with irritable bowel syndrome, I'm immediately suspect. What happens when you elevate your barrel to 20+ degrees? Log jam?

Im an AK man too. Only non Ak I have is a Ruger bolt action 3006. So this is why im looking into other platforms. Trying to expand my collection. I realized one thing. Im not biast when it comes to weapons. I love them all :D. I love the single shot 4570 as much as the latest greatest lazer gun!

Im not shooting at birds or anything else that's overhead but I assume they just get pushed out.

I trust it enough as any other gun. I've seen AKs and Glocks fail. Thinking about it now though maybe it was good I didn't buy it. If I did i'd have to invest another several hundred in optics/sights.

Jpanzer - I don't argue. Its pointless. Just waist of my time and his. If he wants to be like that fine by me. Plenty of other guns im interested in and plenty of vendors. Im also looking at the piston ARs. Having trouble deciding on a 308 battle rifle or a 556 AR type. Mainly due to ammo prices.

Edited by Arik
  • Like 2

Arik- I'll be at the Farm Show "fun" show this coming weekend... Looking for the asshole vendor with an RFB. Want to help narrow down the search? :devil:

Seriously though- My husband wants it, and maybe just a little to give the vendor a hard time...

Bo- dunno the name of the vendor but chances are you've seen them. At all the bigger shows they have several 8ft tables on 2 sides (rectangle shape with sales peeps in the middle). On the one side they have handguns and on the other all sorts of AKs & ARs. On the one end of the rectangle usually some sort of a monster. 50bmg or 338. On the other usually a Siomi with black stock and a rack of long guns. A few MN91/30, one yugo m76 8mm AK century made and overpriced ofcource.

The salesman was some younger guy, about 6ft, stocky, dirty blond hair.

Bo- dunno the name of the vendor but chances are you've seen them. At all the bigger shows they have several 8ft tables on 2 sides (rectangle shape with sales peeps in the middle). On the one side they have handguns and on the other all sorts of AKs & ARs. On the one end of the rectangle usually some sort of a monster. 50bmg or 338. On the other usually a Siomi with black stock and a rack of long guns. A few MN91/30, one yugo m76 8mm AK century made and overpriced ofcource.

The salesman was some younger guy, about 6ft, stocky, dirty blond hair.

A youngish, cute girl perpetually wearing a "Kalishnakitty" t-shirt floating around the table too? I know THAT vendor... We won't do business with them, for similar reasons as yours. Sounds like the same outfit.

If that RFB is there though, I'm sure he won't be able to stay away!

Looks like KelTec has other calibers in mind for this platform.

post-13534-0-06607900-1307465293_thumb.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Kel-Tec_RFB

Yakdung

I'm afraid it ain't so. I did a few e-mails back and forth with Kel-Tec because I was interested in the possibility of a 6.5 or 6.8 and they said the 223 version is all they are going to be doing in the foreseeable future. Of course he could have been lying to me but I kinda doubt it.

As to the 308 RFB, my son wants one so bad he can't stand it. There just don't seem to be any of them around at present. My FFL guy says it's because Kel-Tec is scrambling to replace PMR 30 barrels because of an incorrect twist rate and all production has suffered because of it. Could be true, there seems to be a shortage of PF9s as well.

IMHO, the RFB is a serious, quality effort. I just wish Kel-Tec could avoid some of the production and QC problems they seem so prone to.

Tim

Looks like KelTec has other calibers in mind for this platform.

post-13534-0-06607900-1307465293_thumb.jpg

Yakdung

I'm afraid it ain't so. I did a few e-mails back and forth with Kel-Tec because I was interested in the possibility of a 6.5 or 6.8 and they said the 223 version is all they are going to be doing in the foreseeable future. Of course he could have been lying to me but I kinda doubt it.

As to the 308 RFB, my son wants one so bad he can't stand it. There just don't seem to be any of them around at present. My FFL guy says it's because Kel-Tec is scrambling to replace PMR 30 barrels because of an incorrect twist rate and all production has suffered because of it. Could be true, there seems to be a shortage of PF9s as well.

IMHO, the RFB is a serious, quality effort. I just wish Kel-Tec could avoid some of the production and QC problems they seem so prone to.

Tim

I pinched the information from a WiKi page for the RFB:

I was in a gun store today and asked if they have seen one. The response I got was "we had one for about an hour, but someone purchased it".

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Picked her up today.....Pretty sure I'm in love! More news at 11 (not really, LOL!) reveiw to come VERY SOON!

It's 11:00.

LOL! hilarious!

So after doing my best not to make out with my rifle this morning (still in love 24 hours later), I decided it would be best to read the owners manual (I rarely do this with anything) which turned out to be a good idea. This rifle is unlike any that I've ever owned. I've broken it down and put it back together as well as lubed up most of the major areas of concern. By the looks of the manual I thought there'd be a million little parts but it wasn't to bad, no more then any of my ARs for the most part. I stole an optic off of one of my other rifles and took it for a dry run. All I can say is WOW! I think I just found the ultimate CQB weapon. As I moved through the house I was able to open doors with ease while still having the weapon up and ready. I could do full turns in tight places with the muzzle up that couldn't be done with any AR or FAL that I own. The balance is so good that running it one handed for an extended amount of time is not just doable but enjoyable.

It'd been awhile since I'd had my hands on an RFB and I've been a little concerned about the amount of plastic on the gun. I'm happy to report that it's not any more then you'd find on any AR-15. Kel-Tec must have finally realized after the PLR-16/22 and the SU-16 that an all plastic gun is no good if you want to butt stroke someone in the face, this thing is solid. Some folks are a little scared by the price but I can honestly say that for a good quality FAL you'll be blowing close to (if not more) the same amount. A sling is shipped with the rifle (rare) and is pretty nice, it's a two point which is what I run on all my rifles.

Reliability-Don't know a damn thing about it yet and probably won't until have a few thousand rounds through it. I will say this the manual states that it was meant to run crappy ball ammo. I don't look at this as an AK but I do expect it to have the same reliability as an AR, you take care of it and it will take care of you.

More later and pics to follow when I get the optic.

Picked her up today.....Pretty sure I'm in love! More news at 11 (not really, LOL!) reveiw to come VERY SOON!

It's 11:00.

LOL! hilarious!

So after doing my best not to make out with my rifle this morning (still in love 24 hours later), I decided it would be best to read the owners manual (I rarely do this with anything) which turned out to be a good idea. This rifle is unlike any that I've ever owned. I've broken it down and put it back together as well as lubed up most of the major areas of concern. By the looks of the manual I thought there'd be a million little parts but it wasn't to bad, no more then any of my ARs for the most part. I stole an optic off of one of my other rifles and took it for a dry run. All I can say is WOW! I think I just found the ultimate CQB weapon. As I moved through the house I was able to open doors with ease while still having the weapon up and ready. I could do full turns in tight places with the muzzle up that couldn't be done with any AR or FAL that I own. The balance is so good that running it one handed for an extended amount of time is not just doable but enjoyable.

It'd been awhile since I'd had my hands on an RFB and I've been a little concerned about the amount of plastic on the gun. I'm happy to report that it's not any more then you'd find on any AR-15. Kel-Tec must have finally realized after the PLR-16/22 and the SU-16 that an all plastic gun is no good if you want to butt stroke someone in the face, this thing is solid. Some folks are a little scared by the price but I can honestly say that for a good quality FAL you'll be blowing close to (if not more) the same amount. A sling is shipped with the rifle (rare) and is pretty nice, it's a two point which is what I run on all my rifles.

Reliability-Don't know a damn thing about it yet and probably won't until have a few thousand rounds through it. I will say this the manual states that it was meant to run crappy ball ammo. I don't look at this as an AK but I do expect it to have the same reliability as an AR, you take care of it and it will take care of you.

More later and pics to follow when I get the optic.

Excellent! A lot of people just don't like bullpups but as you (and my son) say, it might just be the ultimate CQB. It also has a long barrel tucked away in that small setup so long range shots should be doable too. It's going to take some time but I think a lot of serious shooters are going to go this route eventually.