Arsenal Saiga SGL-21 accuracy test

I benched my SGL21 (based on Saiga 7.62x39) from 100 yards, with Tapco G2 FCG dropped in. 17 five-round groups are shot, the average "extreme distance" from center of bullet holes is 4.4 inches. The standard deviation among 17 groups is 1.3 inches. Also a 10-round group and a 20-round group are shot. The smallest group is 1.3MOA, largest 6.0MOA. Below are the detailed info of each group shot (in inches at 100 yards). Changed targets after every 4 or 5 groups, the barrel has time to cool down a little during this period.

5-rd: 4.4 5.7 5.2 3.8 2.8

5-rd: 4.1 3.3 1.8 4.6

5-rd: 6.0 4.8(10-rd) 5.9 4.2 3.4

20-rd: 4.5

5-rd: 5.8 3.1 1.3 3.1

The interesting and disturbing thing is, it seems accuracy is worse when the barrel is cooler, which means I can't trust my first shot if I ever take it to hunt. This sucks. What are the groups like with Saiga 7.62x39 rifles you guys have?

post-30183-0-49319800-1307466437_thumb.jpg

post-30183-0-49602900-1307466444_thumb.jpg

2010-07-12125229.jpg\

this is my Saiga 21" zeroed my posp scope in 8 rounds,using cheep Wolf ammo.

I like when people start to blame the gun, :rolleyes: dont forget, its the guy behind the trigger that makes it accurate,I love my Saiga 21,I am ok with 1.5/2" groups if I want sub MOA groups I am shooting 308 or 300 winmag and for the hunting ,get a 308 and again it depends ,what are you hunting?

IMG_0959.jpg

I use my Saiga as a brush gun, for anything more then 100 yards I am using 308

PS if you can shoot 4" groups consistently at 100 yards you will get medium size game(pigs,deer) at 100 yards,just keep shooting ,you'll get less meat thou :lolol:

Edited by atakacorp

4" at 100 yards means you can take deer at 200. It's not great accuracy, but it's certainly acceptable for hunting or SHTF. I have noticed some serious ammo variances with some rifles (and not just AK platforms), so the ammo you use makes an enormous difference.

4" at 100 yards means you can take deer at 200. It's not great accuracy, but it's certainly acceptable for hunting or SHTF. I have noticed some serious ammo variances with some rifles (and not just AK platforms), so the ammo you use makes an enormous difference.

My saiga loves golden tiger FMJ for some reason for example...

4MOA wouldn't be suprising to me without testing a lot of different rounds. get a small box of a few different kinds and test them out. Its hardly scientific if you don't have something to hold these results up against.

Thanks for the suggestions about different ammo.

I used Brown Bear HP mainly, sometimes Golden Bear. Brown Bear is the cheapest (~$ .20/round no shipping fee) so I stock deep, and some reports show that they shoot well.

Will try Golden Tiger.

2010-07-12125229.jpg\

this is my Saiga 21" zeroed my posp scope in 8 rounds,using cheep Wolf ammo.

I like when people start to blame the gun, :rolleyes: dont forget, its the guy behind the trigger that makes it accurate,I love my Saiga 21,I am ok with 1.5/2" groups if I want sub MOA groups I am shooting 308 or 300 winmag and for the hunting ,get a 308 and again it depends ,what are you hunting?

IMG_0959.jpg

I use my Saiga as a brush gun, for anything more then 100 yards I am using 308

PS if you can shoot 4" groups consistently at 100 yards you will get medium size game(pigs,deer) at 100 yards,just keep shooting ,you'll get less meat thou :lolol:

your 8 shots are like a fucking foot apart, how the fuck do you get 1.5 out of that? Seriously?

Atlantic is selling golden tiger at $209 per 1000 round case.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory143.aspx

I've gotten 2 1/4" groups standing supported at 100 yards. My best groups thus far with my saiga. I'm sure if i kept trying I could get a crazy close group, but it would just be luck. I've gotten groups befor where 4 rounds were in a 1.5" group and theres one 2.5" off the group ruining everything. Still, keep in mind these numbers are all with production ammo, I'm very pleased with these numbers.

I find Golden Tiger to be one of the more accurate Russian brands, (the boat-tail helps), and it's lacquered, (rather than coated with polymer), making it very resistant to the elements. It's also usually the cheapest non-corrosive 7.62x39 available. ;)

Edited by post-apocalyptic