Arsenal Saiga SGL-21 accuracy test

I benched my SGL21 (based on Saiga 7.62x39) from 100 yards, with Tapco G2 FCG dropped in and POSP 4x24 scope. 17 five-round groups are shot, the average "extreme distance" from center of bullet holes is 4.4 inches. The standard deviation among 17 groups is 1.3 inches. Also a 10-round group and a 20-round group are shot. The smallest group is 1.3MOA, largest 6.0MOA. Below are the detailed info of each group shot (in inches at 100 yards). Changed targets after every 4 or 5 groups, the barrel has time to cool down a little during this period.

5-rd: 4.4 5.7 5.2 3.8 2.8

5-rd: 4.1 3.3 1.8 4.6

5-rd: 6.0 4.8(10-rd) 5.9 4.2 3.4

20-rd: 4.5

5-rd: 5.8 3.1 1.3 3.1

The interesting and disturbing thing is, it seems accuracy is worse when the barrel is cooler (seem to have observed this from previous range trips too), which means I can't trust my first shot if I ever take it to hunt. This sucks. Not as great I expected from a Arsenal rifle, or maybe I just got a sucky sample. What are the groups like with Saiga 7.62x39 rifles you guys have?

post-30183-0-87117300-1307466803_thumb.jpg

post-30183-0-16160000-1307466808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tofu San

How long have you been shooting this rifle or x39 in general? It might be you who's causing the inconsistencies. Maybe when the barrel is hot, you have already put a bunch of rounds down range and got used to the sound and feel a bit, causing you to stop flinching as much?

My Saiga 308 seemed a lot less accurate after I first got it. I even bitched about it here. After I got used to the increased muzzle blast, noise and recoil and different ergonomics (from my x39), it became a lot more accurate.

Practice with it some more and see if your groups become more consistent. I can shoot 2.5" groups from a sandbag fairly consistently with my own SGL21.

Brown Bear Hollow Point.

I've shot 988 rounds in total with this rifle, including this trip. I've seen this cool barrel inaccuracy in several of my previous range trips also. I don't think human error has a big effect here.

If my scientific knowledge serves, the square of the total standard deviation is the sum of the square of the standard deviations of several independent contributing factors. If the measured "MOA" can be loosely analogized to the standard deviation, even if my human error is 1~2 inches in 100 yards, it should only affect the average result by 0.5MOA, given a total deviation of 4.4MOA, statistically speaking.

But again, I may be wrong, I may have some big flinch never detected by myself, but that possibility seems to be slim.

I JUST GOT A BRAND NEW ARSENAL SGL21-71 AND HERES MY VIEW TO YOUR POST.

I THINK THE ACCURACY PROBLEM IS THE UNBELIEVEABLE SLOPPY FITTMENT OF THE MUZZLE BREAK. MINE IS SO LOOSE IT WIGGLES 'ALOT" THIS HAS TO AFFECT THE BULLET TRAJECTORY. MINE IS SO LOOSE I WONT SHOOT THE RIFLE WITH THIS PIECE OF JUNK ON IT. FOR ARSENAL TO LET THIS LEAVE THE FACTORY LIKE THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE. THIS WILL NEVER BE ON MY RIFLE EVER..... ALL ELSE SEEMS REAL NICE AND IN GENERAL I,AM GLAD I BOUGHT IT THOUGH BUT IF THIS IS THE "GOLD" STANDARD WERE IN REAL TROUBLE.

BOB

I THINK THE ACCURACY PROBLEM IS THE UNBELIEVEABLE SLOPPY FITTMENT OF THE MUZZLE BREAK. MINE IS SO LOOSE IT WIGGLES 'ALOT" THIS HAS TO AFFECT THE BULLET TRAJECTORY.

I don't like posting in a double-post topic :) but, that seems to be the norm from several posts I have read. Unless the bullet is contacting the brake (which could cause keyholing) I don't see how a loose muzzle brake affects trajectory.

I THINK THE ACCURACY PROBLEM IS THE UNBELIEVEABLE SLOPPY FITTMENT OF THE MUZZLE BREAK. MINE IS SO LOOSE IT WIGGLES 'ALOT" THIS HAS TO AFFECT THE BULLET TRAJECTORY. MINE IS SO LOOSE I WONT SHOOT THE RIFLE WITH THIS PIECE OF JUNK ON IT. FOR ARSENAL TO LET THIS LEAVE THE FACTORY LIKE THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE. THIS WILL NEVER BE ON MY RIFLE EVER..... ALL ELSE SEEMS REAL NICE AND IN GENERAL I,AM GLAD I BOUGHT IT THOUGH BUT IF THIS IS THE "GOLD" STANDARD WERE IN REAL TROUBLE.

BOB

that was bugging me when i got mine , so i slowly sanded down the end of the brake until it was snug when it lined up with the pin (go slow and check often)

Try some US made ammo. I would also try handloading if you are going to hunt. For the first round there will be some oil left over from cleaning and that may make the shot go wide. For hunting I would experiment with a clean dry bore. Most rifles have this first shot with oil problem. Some long range hunters use a slightly fouled bore to cure this problem.

This isn't a true test of the rifle's accuracy. Though you might use that Russian steel-case for most of your trips to the range and stack it deep cause it's cheap, (I know I do), you need to use some higher end American brass 7.62x39, (e.g. Hornady), to truly see how well your rifle can shoot. ;)

• Like 1