Charging handles

I'm looking to install a custom charging handle on my saiga 12. I'm looking for new ideas, install tips and pictures. Does weight, angle or shape of the handle matter?Also, would it be better to hire this task out or do it myself? I have basic welding knowledge and acess to a small 120 volt wire welder.

There is this article. Read the whole thing then decied. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/57158-diy-left-side-charging-handle/ I strongly recommend tig. I would avoid the brazing altogether. I just made my turn up where the orignal handle ended. My final pieces dimensions not including the ball bearing were 0.25 .975 x 1.35. I don't know if that helps, but I've got the same set up on my s12 and my 410, both run great. I also know that many of the vendors on this forum do these things for relatively fair prices, considering the work ingvolved. Good luck.

• Like 1

I'm looking to install a custom charging handle on my saiga 12. I'm looking for new ideas install tips and pictures.

Install tips;

Preheat (this is important) the base metal on the carrier & make a non porous weld.

Lighten the top of the charging handle as much as possible to reduce weight/leverage at the top. It will be very durable during cycling that way. Also study the metals.

I use different processes & filler steels depending on the steel I'm working with in conjunction with the carrier's steel.

Pictures;

IMG_2827.jpg

3CH0141280x395.jpg

PaulysPiston1911.jpg

032.jpg

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/61911-paulys-steelin-charging-handle-modifications/

Pauly,

What are you opinions on heat treating/stress relieve after welding on the carrier? My understanding is for this type of material it's recommended, but I have an apprehension about putting excessive heat on machined parts.

I'm looking to install a custom charging handle on my saiga 12. I'm looking for new ideas install tips and pictures.

Install tips;

Preheat the base metal on the carrier & make a non porous weld.

Pictures;

IMG_2827.jpg

3CH0141280x395.jpg

PaulysPiston1911.jpg

032.jpg

http://forum.saiga-1...-modifications/

Pauly,

What are you opinions on heat treating/stress relieve after welding on the carrier? My understanding is for this type of material it's recommended, but I have an apprehension about putting excessive heat on machined parts.

It should be done correctly & yes, overheating is bad.

When one researches through Izmash & top industry metallurgists & comes up with their process, it's highly recommended to use temp sticks.

If I post exact details of my process, my investor will cut my nuts off. :eek:

Hello

I just TIG'd mine on the stubs with a (near) full-penetration weld and dremmeled them down smooth.

I learned over time that leaving the stub on the bolt carrier as long as possible allowed it to ride under the dust cover without mod's, and also kept your knuckles further away from the rear sight if you happened to ride the bolt home.

Angling the top of the handle away from the receiver might not be a bad idea.

-guido

I learned over time that leaving the stub on the bolt carrier as long as possible allowed it to ride under the dust cover without mod's, and also kept your knuckles further away from the rear sight if you happened to ride the bolt home.

-guido

I do prefer to space them from the carrier slightly myself as there are multiple reasons my clients opt for our the vertical charging handles.

Some get them so they can reach over the top of the weapon with their left hand to charge the weapon which is the original reason for their development.

However some get them so they can grab the handle quicker with their right hand & you can be almost certain that even if the client charges the weapon with their left, their friends are going to with their right still.

And quite a few get them so the weapon can be charged easier with a weak hand such as clients with arthritis in their hands or younger men with ladies who have issues pulling back the carrier with 1 finger due to less strength.

For instance, this shotgun will be charged with a right hand for obvious reasons, however should he ever decide to change the setup, it'll still be able to be easily charged with a left hand.

MikeSSaiga12.jpg

This being said, if someone tells me they're running only H&K sights & never plan to change their setup, I'll install them closer to the weapon.

Spacing depending on application makes a more dynamic modification that can change with the weapon while only helping performance, never impeding it.

• Like 1

Tip: have pauly do one of his awesome vert handles on your S12 and you will be happy. Mine rocks and it will never go back to any factory style.

Tip: Follow the above tip.

Send it to Pauly and have him work the magic.

I've had the pleasure of meeting him in person. Top notch guy and he does professional work!

Will

-guido

I do prefer to space them from the carrier slightly myself as there are multiple reasons my clients opt for our the vertical charging handles.

Some get them so they can reach over the top of the weapon with their left hand to charge the weapon which is the original reason for their development.

However some get them so they can grab the handle quicker with their right hand & you can be almost certain that even if the client charges the weapon with their left, their friends are going to with their right still.

And quite a few get them so the weapon can be charged easier with a weak hand such as clients with arthritis in their hands or younger men with ladies who have issues pulling back the carrier with 1 finger due to less strength.

For instance, this shotgun will be charged with a right hand for obvious reasons, however should he ever decide to change the setup, it'll still be able to be easily charged with a left hand.

MikeSSaiga12.jpg

This being said, if someone tells me they're running only H&K sights & never plan to change their setup, I'll install them closer to the weapon.

Spacing depending on application makes a more dynamic modification that can change with the weapon while only helping performance, never impeding it.

I want one of the ones that slips over the stock charging handle and locks with a allen screw. If some one has one or can tell me where to get one please PM me.

-guido

MikeSSaiga12.jpg

I want one of the ones that slips over the stock charging handle and locks with a allen screw. If some one has one or can tell me where to get one please PM me.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1040/Tromix-Saiga-Ak47-extended/Detail

This thread convinced me to get the glassbolt/ice thing from Pauly. I can't wait to get this back on my S12. Beyond looking cool, I expect it will shoot and cycle better. It's already fun enough going to a range and drawing all the attention. I think this'll push it over the top. I hate the OEM charging handle.