Just picked up a new 1911 for just under 700 (they had a gold marksmanship cup 70 for just under 800 that had me tempted), colt with essex frame from the pawnshop, dissasembled it- very clean.. but came across something a little curious on the recoil spring guide- a rubber like ring which has broken in three places.. pictures to come soon with edit.

Is this just some BS recoil reduction thing or whats the deal here? it's pretty screwed up

edit: pic now attached.. pretty sure it's a recoil buffer.. would anyone recommend replacing it? looks like one more thing to go wrong to me

post-20666-0-15436100-1307565544_thumb.jpg

post-20666-0-38086100-1307565589_thumb.jpg

Edited by volkov

Just got some ammo- range test will be soon! problem is it only came with one mag. Any recomendations on 1911 single stacks?

And MT, I think I'll go with the same idea- in for the range.. out at home when I clean it.

cool, probably gonna pick some up within the next few days.

Got out to the range today and ran 50 rounds through it quick (have 2 weeks to test, if it doesn't fire I can return it). Two rounds failed to eject but it was way more accurate then I was expecting. Going to be replacing the springs with wolf ones I think.

mec-gar makes some pretty good mags at a good price. those recoil buffers are fairly cheap to buy and save some wear and tear on the gun oover time, I've got one in everything my goofy brother in law has two of them in his para. on the FTEs that might be a couple of things depending on if it failed to extract or smoke stacked. Extractor wear and loose grip on the rims over time and use, and some times smoke stacks are from having a heavier recoil spring than the load your shooting needs. new extractors and recoils springs are both fairly cheap and easy to replace if needed. if you get the chance during the test time see what loads the guun will chamber / semi wad cutters, hollow points, or just round nose. I have a friend who swears a 1911 with the right mag and fittings will hand cycle a mag of empty brass. The one I use just for shooting a very short semi wad cutter will, by home grown parts gun not so much (needs the ramp to the barrel worked some).

• Like 1

Think I'm going to try tuning the extractor first.. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

A more detailed description of the FTE was they were caught in the slide but still aligned towards the chamber and had deep dents where the slide had come back forward and had forced them to hit the chamber implyng that the slide did make it all the way back and forward with sufficient force, so the extractor is probably the best suggestion.

Seeing how it's a new gun (new to you) and if you're looking at a couple of parts to order from the description of the FTEs I'd still get a recoil spring (just so you know what spring rate you're dealing with for sure standard weight is 16 lbs, but I know people use up to 22 and as low as 11 depending on the gun and ammo, 18s are popular) and maybe an ejector too. What style ejector do you have now? Shown are a colt and an extended wilson.

post-26137-0-21733800-1308250606_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-54036800-1308250620_thumb.jpg

Edited by 20-Mags
  • Like 1

Well, got home to take it apart and couldn't find it.. Turns out my brother went on a road trip and raided my guns for a pistol to defend himself.. Nothing strange there, he knows where the key is to the safe and I let him do it all the time. Wish he'd taken a different one but whatever. It's the only one that isn't 100% reliable at the moment and he only took one mag and the 8 rounds in it, kinda dumb. Anyway, I imagine it's a colt ejector as I think everything in the slide is original. I won't know for sure for a while I guess.

Edited by volkov

Just got some ammo- range test will be soon! problem is it only came with one mag. Any recomendations on 1911 single stacks?

My only recommendation from experience would be: Don't cheap out. I ordered some "Colt" mags from CTD for ~$10 ea, only to find out that they're not true Colts. <_< Even though their name is stamped in the floorplate, they're some cheap-o brand. They work ok at 7/8 round capacity with RN ammo, but that's about it. My local gun shop guy told me to, "Look for the ponies." As with everything else, spend too little now, spend too much later...

Just my $0.02.

mec-gar may still be the OEM for colt, but if you want to try some of theirs don't buy from them go to a dealer / on line it's cheaper than from the factory. I have a bunch of their longer 11 rounders for my single stack comp/"race" gun and they've worked everytime feeding round nose and some very short semi-wadcutters. I don't know about the ones with the plastic floor plates but the standard 8 shot ones I have work fine.

mec-gar may still be the OEM for colt, but if you want to try some of theirs don't buy from them go to a dealer / on line it's cheaper than from the factory. I have a bunch of their longer 11 rounders for my single stack comp/"race" gun and they've worked everytime feeding round nose and some very short semi-wadcutters. I don't know about the ones with the plastic floor plates but the standard 8 shot ones I have work fine.

I agree, I decided to try out one of their 11 rounders, it fed all round-nose FMJs that I could put through it. It also fed some 230 grain golden sabers flawlessly as well. :super:

please excuse the lousy picture- it doesn't seem to match either extractor. Also to note is while the wilson looks as though it corners off at the front the main body of this ejector is a solid block until the end- the top part just continues past the main part.

Pins a bit tough so I havn't removed it.. have to go somewhere this evening, maybe I'll pull it apart fully later

post-20666-0-41258600-1308525947_thumb.jpg

post-20666-0-91436800-1308526031_thumb.jpg

Edited by volkov

hate to keep bumping my shit but I want to put an order through and want to know what I can buy for it (in a hurry to put an order through because I hate having one mag).. From what I can tell it's a military slide, just want to know what wilson extractors will work in it.

Edited by volkov