Mag Release Tab Spring... recently came off my S12. I got the replacement parts from CSS (link back there) and have learned new profanity trying to get this on. The issue I'm having is:

- Very tiny pin.

- Very strong spring has to be almost fully compressed to insert pin.

- Compression bends the spring so there isn't a straight slot to insert pin.

- You have zero visibility or access to bent spring while trying to insert pin.

That's what she said. Paper clips, bobby pins, etc... no problem, but also not strong enough to hold the tab where it needs to be. I remember earlier threads in 2009 about this from a few shooters, but can't find the threads. Has this happened to any of you, and for machinist/gunsmiths out there, is there a trick to getting this part put on? If I had praying mantis fingers, I think I could do it...

Help?

And, the CSS/Greg video principles apply but the hammer tapping didn't work for me. Essentially,

- I used the q-tip as shown in the video to seat the spring.

- Then, I used a punch to replace the q-tip. I found that a hard whack with a hammer worked better than lighter gentle taps after the q-tip mashed up once.

- The actual OEM pin did not want to replace the punch. As shown so masterfully in the video (where it looks moronically easy for Greg), any hammer taps for me of any kind unseated and allowed the spring to bend the instant tension was released.

- So, I grabbed a vise tightened it until the OEM pin replaced the punch.

This was an unwelcome PITA. To ensure it doesn't happen again, should I tig weld plates over the pin edges? I've got to do something. Just tension alone isn't holding it during firing.