mount and scope for the 308

i need a mount and scope for my 308, anyone?

links, price., etc

thanks

Might want to add what kind of stuff you are looking for........Red dot, regular scope, what power, Military syle or civilian, High mount, Low mount, that kind of stuff.

That said I have a Scope mount for sale in the selling section.

what id the difference between low and high mount

i plan on getting a POSP but there are so many types, V,D,VD, 6x24,8x42, etc

for a saiga 308, i want to use a regular scope, no red dot

i want to shoot as far as i can with this scope, there are various targets at distances from 150-1000m and i want to hit them

shoooting with south african

thanks

what id the difference between low and high mount

i plan on getting a POSP but there are so many types, V,D,VD, 6x24,8x42, etc

for a saiga 308, i want to use a regular scope, no red dot

i want to shoot as far as i can with this scope, there are various targets at distances from 150-1000m and i want to hit them

shoooting with south african

thanks

Psop scopes have their own mount so you wont have to worry about that. If you go with another type scope and mount the low version is very close to the top cover. You cannot use the iron sights. The high version is raised quite a bit off the cover allowing you to use the iron sights. There was someone selling an 8x psop for $125 wich is a pretty good deal I think.

here is a link to the mount I'm selling:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=6412

NM the PSOP its been sold. There are several places online you can get them at decent prices. Tantal I have heard has very good service.

I bought this one:

Nightvisionweb.com 4x8 scope

It has all the features of a good western scope such as adjustable focus, variable power, plus all the standard Russian goodies and a neat extendable sun shade. I will say this however, it will seem VERY unnatural at first as it is impossible to get any kind of proper cheek weld. The first time out with it, I got a "scope eyebrow" because I was crawling all over the stock trying to get comfortable. I am in the process of crafting a new stock out of birch laminate (plywood) with an adjustable cheek rest. I will post a pic of it when it beings to resemble a stock.

Are you a metal beater too Smithy?

Max

CDNN Has the best prices. You can get the high mount and a decent scope for the price of a scope anywhere else. I spent less than $100 and have a 3X9X50 on a high mount (perfect for low light/old eyes). I had the rings left over from a different project. This is a great set-up for long range shooting, I only need to get a lace on cheek rest for better cheek weld and I will be set. If you want more of a 'tactical' set up get the the PSOP, talk to Tantal-he will fix you up!

G O B

• 3 weeks later...

NOTICE!!!

IF you have a standard full length stock on your Saiga AND mount a POSP...

You can NOT effectively use the scope because the eye relief will be TOO LONG.

This is due to the Saiga stock being 12" in length from the rear of the reciever...

Whereas, a standard AK stock is more like 9" in this deminsion.

Jus' thought ya' should know.

Lollygagger :unsure:

I do understand you can get a different lower to the POSP mount to use it on the non-P.G Saiga...seems a hassel.

FWIW...

Saigamountscope1.jpg

The factory Saiga mount seems to work fine -they are inexpensive (just be SURE all screws, bolts & nuts on the mount are TIGHT BEFORE you zero with it).

There is a nice "Leaper's" chinese made mount for the Saiga -very solid with a picatinny rail, but not a quick detachable (cranks on/off with allens)...see my signature pic.

Edited by lollygagger
Psop scopes have their own mount so you wont have to worry about that.

Yep.

POSP6x42-4.jpg

This is a Belarus POSP 6x42B V that I'm playing with.

Lollygagger :unsure:

(Remember -you need a PG stock to avoid eye relief problems -as I indicated previously. Or, the stock needs to be chopped -see "recoil pad" topic post.)

Edited by lollygagger
  • 4 months later...

If you want to shoot out to 1000 yards you will need a least a 20x scope. Also look at the reticle on the POSP scopes and see if you like it. Most of the high power scopes have a short eye relief and will be a problem with the long Saiga stock. I use a 2.5 Simmons shotgun scope on my 308-1 because it has a 5.5 inch eye relief which allows a good cheek weld with a low over the bore mount. Take a look at some of the shotgun scopes. I used a fixed scope mount with 3 screws on the bottom in place of the usual quick detachable type. I dont plan on removing the scope much.

all the stuff on posp.ru is priced right and they include shipping. I bought my scope from them andf am really happy with it. posp 4-8x42 The longest I have shot with it is 500 yards, I put 3 shots in a 12x20" bucket using portugese ammo. The scope was zeroed at 100 yds and I had put the scope on and off 4 or 5 times before shooting at that distance. They have good crisp optics and are very rugged scopes. 135 is a good price go for it!

the POSP 4-8x42 VD is 170 shipped, now this will allow me to zooom in correct? what does the 8x42 mean? i mean what does the first and last number mean. is this better or worse then the posp 8x42 WD for 149 shipped? i reallize with the 8X42 WD i need buy a mount which are like under 40 or something. if i get the 8x42 WD and sell this can i throw the 8x42 WD on a ar15 or is this scope only good for AK styles with the same bullet types?

thanks

*i would liek to order within a few days, parents gave the go ahead for a 'early' xmas gift

Normally on optics... ( Lets use 8X42 for example)... the first number is your magnification... in this case 8 times the size. the second number is the diameter of the objective lens in millimeters. in this case 42 millimeters.

If we have a 4-8X42 that SHOULD equate to a variable zoom from 4 power to 8 power with a 42 MM objective lens.

The larger the objective, the more light transmission you will get. this is needed at higher powers because the higher the magnification, the less illuminated an image will appear.

This is why your target class scopes have huge objectives.. 10-20X52, 8-32X60 etc..etc.. there are so many combinations its crazy...

Hope that helps. :)

:smoke:

the WD mounted posp will work on any weaver mount. the reticle will work with any caliber, the only difference is the chevrons( or upsidedown V marks) below the top one will be different ranges than the intended 7.62x54 catridge the scope was calibrated for. THat is OK because the marks are calibrated for ranges like this; with the top chevron zeroed at 300M

top chevron- up to 1000M

2nd chevron- 1100M

3rd chevron- 1200M

4th chevron- 1300M

5th chevron- 1400M

Whatever caliber you shoot the scope with you zero the top chevron at your most desired distancelike 100yds and shoot alot to see where farther distances fall in the lower chevrons.

I've got a saiga scope I'm looking to lose. it came WITH my saiga 308 FROM THE FACTORY. I got a pre-EAA 308 22" with 4x scoep from IZMASH. LEmme say that again, this came WITH the rifle. comes with case, IR filter, caps, takes AA batteries, and is constructed somewhat differently than your run of the mill POS POSP. Seems like it sits a tad lower than the POSP, so could b e mount made just for teh saiga, I'm just specualting here.....

here are some pics.....

on rifle:

tinypic.com/f1zi85.jpg

for size comparison:

tinypic.com/f1zic3.jpg

seems like it sits nice and low to the rifle,

tinypic.com/f1ziua.jpg

tinypic.com/f1zixh.jpg

Edited by chapperjoe

Is that a 400m rangefinder or a 1000m. Looks to me like a standard psop. As far as I know the saigas never came with scopes. I would guess wherever you bought it from installed it. It looks identical to the one I have on my Saiga except for the AA battery conversion. I guess if it is a pre EAA saiga it may have been possible to get the scope with it. but its not any different than any other 4x psop.

I went with an inexpensive option. Belarus mount @ $40 and a Simmons 3-9x50mm for $40. Not like the military type posp scope, but it works perfect for my kind of shooting. If your into the illuminated and range finding features, you can easily find them for this type of mount. Any 1" tube scope that fits over the rear sight will work. My mount is the low type (there is a high type) so I had to pop out the rear sight to make it fit. Just a suggestion.

post-1374-1134530974_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1134531046_thumb.jpg

I have the same scope as 'ring, but I have the high mount. I need a lace on cheek piece, other than that it is a good set-up. I figure that a leather cheek piece will go perfect with the wooden stock.

G O B