And so it begins

I'm new here, and have done a fair amount of research on building and converting AK's for a few years. A few friends were planning on building some rifles, and we were going to buy some kits and the tooling and have some fun, but that fell through (not to mention pretty much every kit you could find that we could justify the cost on were all pretty well used).

So, after building a few AR's, and my free time becoming incredibly rare and precious due to a new job (that I am very thankful to have, and I love it too - hard to beat that), I started looking more at just buying a good AK, such as an Arsenal. But, the more I looked into it, the more I decided it would not be for me in the end - the price is up there, and I would be changing out a few parts, which is hard to justify at that price point.

Enter the Saiga 5.45x39 rifle, which I figured out to be the best option for me, and what I am after in the end.

I'm slowly piecing together my rifle, getting the parts that are hard to get in good shape or price first, and worrying about the production items/rifle later on.

Yesterday I got in my first parts - a Bulgarian front sight block, and a chrome lined muzzle brake.

The rifle will eventually wear an Ultimak gas tube which will wear one of my Aimpoints, along with a Tech Sites rear sight, and an ACE folding rifle hinge that utilizes a Magpul MOE stock - then out comes the spray paint :)

So, consider this my build log - much like one I have done in the past for my M1 Garand rifle - just that this one will take longer to finish.

Without further adue:

Day One:

2011-06-12_10-47-32_38.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ran better than 5MOA with new production, so I bit the bullet so to speak. Now to find a US made handguard that extends to the gas block (or beyond), mount the Bulgarian muzzle brake, wait for RS Regulate to release their mini Aimpoint mount, and break out the spray paint. The US palm grip is pretty comfy.

2011-09-30_20-25-45_807.jpg

• 1 month later...