I go to my local wal mart and am wondering about a shotgun I see. Its a remington 20 guage 870, with a 21 or 22" barrel, uses chokes, all black pump. Oh, for 157 dollars. With tax and all, under 175 brand new. Is there any reason that its so cheap? I have looked all over online and cant find any for under 200. Are they factory seconds or are they just fine? Is there anything different about a wal mart gun or one thats bought at a gun store?

I also noticed that thier prices are pretty low. I would think that the main issue is that the selection is extremely limited, but if you want a basic longarm they seem to have some good deals. Obviously you won't get top notch customer support from them, but if you have issues with the gun you should be able to deal with the manufacturer, which a lot of gun stores will make you do anyways. I imagine thier prices are good because they go to the manufacturer and say "So, these 3 models, we need 10,000 of each please".

I also noticed that thier prices are pretty low. I would think that the main issue is that the selection is extremely limited, but if you want a basic longarm they seem to have some good deals. Obviously you won't get top notch customer support from them, but if you have issues with the gun you should be able to deal with the manufacturer, which a lot of gun stores will make you do anyways. I imagine thier prices are good because they go to the manufacturer and say "So, these 3 models, we need 10,000 of each please".

Yes they only have maybe 15-18 kinds of long guns for sale, and I noticed that they are all the same, all the time. If what you say is true, then it would have nothing to do with quality, just quanity made. good insight

The only thing I'd worry about the guns themselves is how long they've been there, but most people are going to give it a good breakdown and cleaning before use anyways. I'd be more worried about how long it would take to track down someone who knows how to handle the FFL paperwork, and even that probably varies a lot by store.

not that it may matter but it might be a youth model / shorter barrel and stock. good price if the stock fits you well enough.

I think it is a youth model, I want something smaller though. I am only 5'7 and my wife is a couple inches shorter. I am 200+ lbs and can handle a 12ga's recoil, she on the other hand, can not. I also like being able to get a good 'tuck in' on a long gun.

I picked one up years ago and just put a thick recoil pad on it and could shoot it fine. That and I really liked the barrel shorter on it.

You didnt say 'chokes', but I thought:

That is another reason I think going with a 20 ga will be best. You can have a short barrel and chokes. I was hard pressed to find that feature on 12ga's under 24". Although I dont really know much about the 'cylinder bore'. Am I right for thinking that is an important option?

oh hell yeah you want chokes they give you more options on getting better performance out of the ammo. the only shotguns / barrels I have right now without adjustable chokes are my turkey / card shooter bolt gun, S-20 that will get a system installed at some point, and the trap barrel on my 12 ga. 1100 that also has other barrels with screw ins.

For home defense, which choke will give me the best spread. I know the names, modified, full, extra full, exc. I assume modified is the one with the most spread and the extra full would be the tightest. Is this correct? Id like to know there will be at least a few inches spread at around 6 feet (maybe alot to ask).

Id like something that I can hunt small game with, thats maneuverable enough to swing quickly around a corner. Thats where the chokes would come in very handy. Would I pop in a full choke when going in the woods and a modified choke when its under my bed?

Lucky, my local walmart only sells Muzzle loaders, bb guns, airsoft and paintball...............

Yeah, the in town ones here carry BB guns and airsoft at best, where as if you stop in one just out of town you can pick up a 12 guage or a bolt action 30-06. I also just found out during lunch that the one near my office doesn't even carry the cheaper blue box Federal ammo, good thing I pass 2 other ones on the way to the range.

Lucky, my local walmart only sells Muzzle loaders, bb guns, airsoft and paintball...............

Yeah, the in town ones here carry BB guns and airsoft at best, where as if you stop in one just out of town you can pick up a 12 guage or a bolt action 30-06. I also just found out during lunch that the one near my office doesn't even carry the cheaper blue box Federal ammo, good thing I pass 2 other ones on the way to the range.

My wal mart kicks ass. I can get my 7.62x39 ammo at 5 bucks per 20box. Also 250 bricks of 9mm ammo for around 55dollars. We just got the guns and I am tempted every time I walk in the door. I can also get a savage 308 for under 300, with a scope. Maybe not the best scope, but savage has always been very good to me. Alot of nice 22s and even a ruger mini 14 for around 650, but thats a little much for a casual purchase. I talk to these idealistic a-holes that hate wal mart for what ever reason, I tell them I can get underwear, broccolli, ammo, guns, computer desks and tvs all in one place, its magical.