To the Michiganders out there...

For any of you that know our laws, we (AK owners), CANNOT get a folding stock for our AK's unless we register our guns. The reason is the famous (and retarded) definition of a pistol being any gun under 30'' long. Unfortunately, our AK's, not including our stock, are only a little longer than 26", nearly putting us in the illegal category of SBS or SBR. So, we by law have to have a fixed stock on our AK's unless we register the gun.

For those of you following recent MI legislature, there was a bill introduced (again) in February (by a democrat of all things :lolol: ) to change the pistol maximum length to 26'', therefore allowing folding stocks on our AK's without registering. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything as to whether it passed or not, and what it's status is. If anyone knows, please feel free to tell me.

From what I can see, however, it looks like it was shot down. I think that it is our duty to call our local MI house and senate members and tell them to support such a bill. Who is with me?

Yeah that is not a trade I'd make. You can legally CCW an RFB why would you trade that?

I do wish they would change minimum size of a pistol built from a rifle from state law of 26 with stock folded to shortest, to the federal of 26 with stock open.

Or at the very least let you register with federal as SBR and SBS and then register with state as a pistol.

• 3 weeks later...

It has not passed. There is a reason a Dem brought it up, the idea of a citizen being able to carry a fully loaded "rifle" (as defined by federal law) in there car/on there person is bone chilling to libtards. Yet after all these years there hasn't been one recorded incident of any law abiding CCW individual going crazy.

I've had a build I've wanted to do for awhile that you might like. Draco AK-47 pistol with pinned and welded flash hider and an ACE folding stock. already comes in to the state registered as a pistol.

I don't believe you can register something that's come in to the state as a rifle in to a pistol. The old adage of "once a rifle always a rifle" comes to mind,it can't be turned in to a pistol.

csspecs-yes an RFB is registered as a pistol as well as the AUG, FN F2000, FN PS90 and so on.

• 8 months later...

Old post, I know......

I talked with a Police buddy of mine a few days ago, and his opinion on being able to car-carry "Michigan pistols" if the law were to change is that those already registered as pistols might be grandfathered in, and STAY a pistol. That's just his opinion, but I thought I'd mention it.

Can a pistol be de-registered? If someone were to have, for example, a Sterling carbine that was registered as a pistol in Michigan, and he or she decided to weld the stock open (32" OAL), could the owner take the gun to the local police department and have them pull the registration? Would he or she need to take it to the police department now that the phoney-baloney "safety inspection" is no longer required? Even if it was no longer a pistol by Michigan law but it was registered as a pistol with the State, could it still be carried as a pistol?

Even if it was no longer a pistol by Michigan law but it was registered as a pistol with the State, could it still be carried as a pistol?

I doubt that they'd "de-register" it per se, but perhaps any subsequent sales would not require it to be registered. The Policeman said a registered pistol can be carried. In his opinion (which doesn't really count any more than anyone else's, unless he's the one pulling you over), so long as it was registered before the law changed, it could be grandfathered as a pistol, and carried. I would want a letter from the State's AG though, if I were to carry a MI pistol after a law changed, just to be safe.

• 8 months later...

Michigan did pass the law making it a pistol at 26" You have until December 31st to register it as a pistol. if you do this you will be able to carry it concealed or in your car with a concealed carry permit. if you sell it the new owner will not be able to register it as a pistol. You can deregister it at a later time if you wanted. If it is less than 26" it is a SBR or SBS and you will need the ATF Tax Stamp.

Michigan did pass the law making it a pistol at 26" You have until December 31st to register it as a pistol. if you do this you will be able to carry it concealed or in your car with a concealed carry permit. if you sell it the new owner will not be able to register it as a pistol. You can deregister it at a later time if you wanted. If it is less than 26" it is a SBR or SBS and you will need the ATF Tax Stamp.

I don't think Michigan allows SBS's or SBR's unless this is changing as well.

Corbin-You will be grandfathered under the old law if you make the purchase before December 31st, I've checked this fact with 2 local police, a state cop and my lawyer. Make your "MI pistol" purchase quickly before the law passes!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One alternative: A .308 with a 21.9" barrel is over 30 inches from the muzzle to the barrel. I put on an ace skeleton stock w/ a bonesteel hinge that works really nicely.

Correction: 30" from muzzle to rearmost point on the receiver. I did not have to register my Saiga.