Threading barrel and accuracy

Ive been reading up on muzzle crowing and Im wondering if anyone here that has threaded their barrel to 14mm x1 LH and installed a tapco or other brake on a threaded barrel experienced negative effects to accuracy. ??

I

wondering....unsure.gif

Ive been reading up on muzzle crowing and Im wondering if anyone here that has threaded their barrel to 14mm x1 LH and installed a tapco or other brake on a threaded barrel experienced negative effects to accuracy. ??I

wondering....unsure.gif

I once had a loose fitting 14mm slant comp that is typically found on AKMs cause my groups to widen on a rifle it was on. Took it off and my groups got better fast.

Anything loose and bouncing around against the barrel is not going to help your groups. Tight and wiggle free is a good thing when it comes to accuracy in any rifle.

On a side note:

The super wide Ak74 style muzzle on the AK74 style front sight blocks seems to keep potential loose brake knocking vibrations farther away from the muzzle by dampening them.

If you get it done concentrically without any dinging to the crown, you shouldn't have any issues with accuracy.

Like my762buzz stated, a loose brake/hider will create an inconsistent escape for the gasses exiting the barrel. Consistency = Accuracy.

Any addition to your rifle's barrel will change its harmonics slightly. If you are already getting above average groups (1-1.5 MOA), I wouldn't mess with it since that is hard to get out of a stock AK with factory ammo, and messing with it will more likely push you into the average accuracy area (2-4MOA).

If you are getting typical AK groups, (2-4 MOA), I doubt it will hurt to put a good fitting brake on your barrel. Tapco makes well machined stuff that is concentric in my experience so on an AK that shoots decent, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the threadwork is done professionally.

Any addition to your rifle's barrel will change its harmonics slightly. If you are already getting above average groups (1-1.5 MOA), I wouldn't mess with it since that is hard to get out of a stock AK with factory ammo, and messing with it will more likely push you into the average accuracy area (2-4MOA).

IMHO, having an effective muzzle brake or flash hider is more useful for fighting rifle purposes than an extra .5 or 1 MOA of accuracy. That extra little bit of accuracy is unlikely to matter in a fight.

hm... my AK74 brake on 24x15 bulgy block is loose, as when index pin locks, it still has space to screw in, but the pin holds it. I asked if that would affect the accuracy and was told here on the site that, it would not.

who is right and who is wrong?

IMHO, having an effective muzzle brake or flash hider is more useful for fighting rifle purposes than an extra .5 or 1 MOA of accuracy. That extra little bit of accuracy is unlikely to matter in a fight.

I agree that even at 300 yards, the extra .5 or 1 MOA isn't going to make a difference in a combat situation.

However, for target shooting it may make a difference to the owner.

A faulty brake or fh can most assuredly affect accuracy.

Once had a bad(small crack) fh that drove me nuts till I found out what was happening.

Check to see, have someone SAFELY watch the attachment while you shoot a few rounds in less than full daylight.

Any "sparking" at that point reveals a problem.

Dinging the crown would be my worry on threaded barrels. Easy to see and fix though.

Second is design of the brake, fh don't usually have the tight clearance problems as brakes.

You never know when a loss of accuracy will become important, in short don't sacrifice it without real good reason.

But try not to get overly obsessive compulsive about it, the shooter is still the important variable.

I haven't experience a negative impact on accuracy, but I have experienced a significant change in point of impact with a slant brake.

My point of impact shifted significantly to the right - past the adjustment range of my front sight (which was canted to the left before I fixed it). There was no evidence that the bullet was hitting the brake, and the brake was on tight and aligned correctly. I think the issue was the asymmetrical way the slant brake vents the gas combined with my canted FSB.

I didn't really check to see if it was affecting my accuracy because the change in POI was unacceptable to me.